Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Load DataWidenersSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 45-70 blackpowder load data

Boolit Buddy
    My BP cleanup:

Hot soapy water down the bore. Brush with hot soapy water. Hot water rinse & patch dry. Clean and coat with Eezox, easiest step of all since the soap and water already got about 99% of everything. Done.

Not only is Eezox the best corrosion protection ever devised, it's also an excellent solvent/cleaner and doesn't smell half bad. Who knew?

Boolit Buddy

I simply clean with hot water, and then hose it all down with a spray can of Remoil

Boolit Buddy
    I think everybody at one time or another has tried Triple 7 or Pyrodex or B.P. Cartridge guns. I think all of them found it a bad idea. Either go black Powder like the gun was designed for, or smokeless.

Boolit Mold
    This is all good advice, I would add stay away from anything petroleum based. Petroleum seems to make a tar that is hard to clean off and holds moisture. I think this is where the hard to clean and very corrosive comes from with black powder.
    When loading BP for a repeater start by deciding how many shots you want to fire accurately between cleanings. Fairly impressive velocity and accuracy is not too difficult if cleaning every shot but to keep accuracy for 15 to 20 shots is another thing.

Hot water washes and neutralizes the fouling. Dry patches to dry the gun. Oil to protect after. I use mineral oil. It's inexpensive, non toxic, doesn't hurt the furniture and doesn't turn to tar with BP like petroleum oils. I've never personally had any problems with triple 7 or pyrodex in a cartridge, but I've always made sure to meticulously clean the gun and brass afterward. Blackpowder is pretty forgiving, you can drench the fouling in oil for long periods without cleaning the gun. Don't know how long, but I've done it for at least 3 month stretches and had no corrosion to show for it. Not that I'm proud of my negligence, but figured I'd share what I learned from it.

Boolit Grand Master

with black powder a good lube and enough to keep the fouling soft and "greasy" helps a lot.
    At the range windex or similar to wipe quick clean, then at home ballistol 10-1 with water. If any leading then shooters choice finish with light oil down.

Boolit Master
    I don't know if it is critical, but Mike Venturino always wrote to only use Windex that has vinegar, not ammonia with BP. It has served me well with Pyrodex-loaded cartridges, too. I empty a bottle of it in a gallon jug, fill it 3/4 of the way with water, and just drop the fired cartridges into the jug while at the range. I usually let it sit overnight, dump it outside, then fill with warm water and shake the jug a bit. If it's reasonable weather, I lay the cases out on paper outside (inside if it's not) and let them air dry, then process them as I normally would for the caliber, however, I usually brush out .45-70 and .45-110 with a nylon bore brush to get any residue. GF

Boolit Buddy

https://hodgdonpowderco.com/wp-conte...-action1-1.pdf

Page 3 has 45-70 load data for their Triple 7.

I use BP, and I also like Triple 7 as well. It has a little more energy than BP works great in my 50-95 and 43 Mauser.

Tom

I have never seen the need to shoot black powder out of anything except muzzle loaders and perhaps old guns that were made before smokeless, just me.
    Don't get me wrong, I do like black powder.
    It doesn't take long to screw up a gun with it if you forget to clean it.
    At my age forgetting is easier than remembering.

What's "need" got to do with anything?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Swineherd View Post
    What's "need" got to do with anything?
    exactly nothing !!!!!!!

Whatever, it's just not for me.

Boolit Mold
    I shoot my Shilo sharps 45-70 in a 300 yard open sight competition, there is a guy that has a whole shop dedicated to black powder and flintlocks I use his bore cleaner and his bullet lube I shoot 25 shots at a meet and his stuff works I'm looking at a target I shot at one hundred yards under glass at my desk that is 5 shots less than one inch. I used to shoot 1,000 yard comp and I have target I saved, ten shot 5 inch group .200 thousand off dead center missed the world record by 2 inches.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Dave H View Post
    I shoot my Shilo sharps 45-70 in a 300 yard open sight competition,
    I used to shoot 1,000 yard comp and I have target I saved, ten shot 5 inch group .200 thousand off dead center missed the world record by 2 inches.
    Hi, I am assuming the 1000yd info was shooting modern rifles. But, me assuming can be a mistake.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Mold
    I have some gold loads for 45-70 using a BACO dual diameter paper patched bullet but all loads are for black powder. I recommend that you bite the bullet and order 5 pounds of black powder and start a journey you will enjoy for a long time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12