Reloading EverythingLoad DataLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
WidenersTitan ReloadingRepackboxInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .357 mag handi rifle for deer

.357 mag handi rifle for deer

Every time I bring this up i get bashed for not choosing a 44 but I'm going to bring it up anyway. What is the maximum range for deer with a 357? Ammo would either be hornady leverevolution, winchester JSP, or I could hand load some really hot xtp loads. Is 150 unreasonable? I read some load data and according to it I would have enough energy to kill a deer at 200 yards. Do I believe that's ethical? No, but if anybody else has taken deer at these ranges, I might rethink it.

Boolit Master
    I have shot and killed over 50 whitetail with the .357mag. revolver. This is not BS, it's a fact. They ranged in distance from 5 yards to over 100 yards. I have never lost one. The only deer I ever lost with a handgun was shot with a 44mag and it was a bad shot on my part. It doesn't matter about caliber once you get to the 357mag for deer....it's all about shot placement. A good shot with the .357mag is WAY better than a bad shot with the 44mag, or any caliber handgun for that matter. Most of the deer were shot with 158g Hornady XTP HP bullets. I have shot them with lighter and heavier bullets but have found the 158g to be the best compromise between penetration and expansion. I have shot a couple with cast bullets and used a 158g with good results...again, hit in the vitals. If anyone is bashing you on caliber, it's probably one of the internet/keyboard experts or someone who says "all the deer I shot with the 357mag got away" and that's a total of one. Also, they may be the worlds worst shot. Who knows? FYI, a couple of years ago I got bored with the handgun for a while and picked up a Marlin lever gun in 357mag. I shot six or seven with it and they all died reasonably quick within eyesight. I guarantee you, you are not handicapped with that caliber. One other thing, I own larger calibers. I just LIKE the 357mag a LOT.

Banned

^ This sure makes a whole lot of sense.

Quote Originally Posted by indianadeerhunter2018 View Post
    Every time I bring this up i get bashed for not choosing a 44 but I'm going to bring it up anyway. What is the maximum range for deer with a 357? Ammo would either be hornady leverevolution, winchester JSP, or I could hand load some really hot xtp loads. Is 150 unreasonable? I read some load data and according to it I would have enough energy to kill a deer at 200 yards. Do I believe that's ethical? No, but if anybody else has taken deer at these ranges, I might rethink it.
    With a handi, how far can you can seat the bullet out, increasing the powder capacity?

Boolit Grand Master
    I owned a Handi - 357 Mag. rifle ( until I could get to the next gun show ), The rifling was somewhere between 1/4 and a 1/2 mile from the end of the case mouth.

Mine didn't shoot cast bullets worth a cuss.

Ben

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    I owned a Handi - 357 Mag. rifle ( until I could get to the next gun show ), The rifling was somewhere between 1/4 and a 1/2 mile from the end of the case mouth.

Ben
    Great opportunity to get a reamer and make it a 357MAX.

Generous Donator

I use 360 DW brass in mine. It gets the heavier bullets to the rifling.

Banned

.357 max brass will fit with a little trimming

Boolit Master
    I know this isn't a .357 Handi, as my Handi is a .44Mag, but I have taken a few deer and a lot of hogs with the .357 in various guns, ranging from a 2 1/4" Ruger SP101 to a 20" Rossi 92. The Rossi is the closest to what you're talking about using, and I have no qualms about taking either hog or deer out to 150yds with it. My longest shot so far has been a bit over 200yds, but it was on a hog that was wounded by a friend so it was a choice of take it or let it suffer. If it hadn't been wounded already, I would not have taken the shot. Just due to drop and everything else involved, I would say keep it inside of 150 yds, and preferably 100yds, and the .357 rifle will do great once you have an accurate load worked up. I use either the Lee 158gr SWCGC or the Lyman 358156 in mine, and still trying to figure out which is more accurate, but they are VERY close.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Based on my results using a Ruger 77/357 and the NOE 360-180, I would not be afraid to take a deer out to 150 yards. We are hitting gongs consistently out to 200 yards. Do I want to shoot a deer at 200 yards with the 357? I'm going to keep my 357 mag shots within 150 yards. I know I could poke one at 200 yards, but poking one and killing one humanly is two different things. Then there is the fact that some people should never shoot at anything at 150 yards. The abilities of the guy behind the gun makes a big difference.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    Great opportunity to get a reamer and make it a 357MAX.
    Already thought of that but mine had the SB-1 frame. I was advised against the 357 Max reamer for safety reasons.

For those unclear on how to differentiate between the SB 1 and the SB 2 frames , pull the butt stock off and look at the rear of the frame and compare yours with the photo below :

Ben
    Last edited by Ben; 07-18-2014 at 06:41 AM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jmortimer View Post
    .357 max brass will fit with a little trimming
    Yeah.... a little trimming of the barrel =D

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post

Ben

Mine also (the rifling). Mine however, DID shoot worth a cuss. particularly copper solids in 38 special, and cast lead in 357 mag.

Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    With a handi, how far can you can seat the bullet out, increasing the powder capacity?
    How far can you seat out? All the way. That's not a joke, that's the serious answer.

-------------

I reamed mine to a max so not only was the rifing a mile from the case, but it was a mile and a half from a 38 sp case. And shot 38 specials well. So buy one, shoot 357 max, and take your deer at 200 yards if you can shoot that well. Only reason I sold mine is it weighed 8 pounds. But shot 250 grain Hornaday bullets to 1700 fps like a champ (357 max load only), so I couldn't complain how it shot.

Boolit Master

mine was an SB1 as well. The problem wasnt the frame, it is the shotgun firing pin. Shoots OK, but then the primer has a tendency to flow back into the firing pin hole and lock the action. It will open just fine if you pull the hammer and dry fire on the spent primer, but it is not a robust solution for sure. This is even if you use harder military primers. I never tried a small firing pin sb1 but I bet it would be OK.

The reason I recommend an SB2 is ergonomics, not safety.

Boolit Master
    most handi 357's will chamber Dan Wesson 360 without issue.
    Use a long boolit and seat it out to the lands in a 357 case , you can get some impressive performance
    without reaming to Max

Boolit Master
    My friend is doing this and asked me the same thing. WY has two limitations as of the new regs 1.5" COAL OR 500ftlbs of energy at 100y. The .357 Mag with a 158JHP is 1.59" to perfectly legal, but only makes a bit under 400lb energy with a 158JHP @1200fpsMV at 100y. Bump that to my NOE 180 that casts at 188g to 1300fps from a rifle and it makes 500lbs @150y.

I have 100% confidence in that same boolit in my 357Herrett out to 300y. So what I can do at 300y a .357Mag should be good to 150y from a rifle if you hit the deer well. For giggles I ran the numbers on my .54 round ball and was amazed at how low they were, but starting out at .54 helps a ton.

Boolit Master
    Ben I never saw one of those skeletal frames like that! I live in a sheltered world and that is a new one for me. Mass doesn't always mean stronger!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Bub
    I have the same setup and reamed to max. It is my go to gun with 1680 and a Hornady 180 ssp seated out as far as I can go. If you reload it will be like a new gun for you. Still searching for a heavy cast bullet.

Boolit Master

Searching for a heavy cast bullet? Easy, there are tons. Searching for a heavy cast bullet mold? Well, the designs are easy to find, the real trick is being first in line!

in Remebrance
    Nekshot, the real difference in the frames is that the SB-1 is cast iron, the SB-2 is investment cast steel, that's why you don't put rifle calibers on the SB-1. Nice that it's easy to tell the difference. GW
    "If you can walk with crowds and keep your virtue,
    Or walk with Kings, nor lose the common touch,
    Yours is the earth and everything that's in it,
    And, which is more, you'll be a man my son!" R. Kipling

"Brother to a Prince, and fellow to a pauper, if found worthy." Kipling

Boolit Bub
    I hear that Whiterabbit. I've tried Unique and 158 grainers but couldn't get them to group as well as the aforementioned combo. Really like to find 180 grain or larger mold to explore.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast