Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Repackbox
Load DataWidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Found my new hunting rifle.

Boolit Grand Master

Found my new hunting rifle.

I've been back and forth with a few rifles, but found the one today. I knew as soon as I picked it up. It's a near mint 2008 vintage Remington 700 CDL in 30-06. Plenty good for any game I'll be hunting in the lower 48. Now I've gotta collect some brass, bullets, boolit mold, dies, etc. I'm open to suggestions.

It comes with a cheap Bushnell Sportview 4x12x40. That'll be replaced with some better glass as well.

I put 25% down on it today to reserve it and will pick it up in a few weeks. Didn't have my "rat hole" money on me at the time.

Boolit Master

One of the all time favorites.... you are off to a good start!
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Grand Master
    Doc, I think you made a fine choice. There are only seven or eight big game species in the world that I wouldn't hunt intentionally with a .30-06 and suitable ammo. And of those I think the big bears and big cats could be handled if necessary.

My personal belief is if a .30-06 doesn't have enough power, you need to increase bore diameter and projectile weight, not just case size.

Robert

Boolit Master
    Well, sounds like a nice varmint rifle. You know you can't hunt white tail with anything less than a 300 Magnum, right?

Enjoy!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    Doc, I think you made a fine choice. There are only seven or eight big game species in the world that I wouldn't hunt intentionally with a .30-06 and suitable ammo. And of those I think the big bears and big cats could be handled if necessary.

My personal belief is if a .30-06 doesn't have enough power, you need to increase bore diameter and projectile weight, not just case size.

Robert
    I did come across a very minty Ruger M77 tang safety Alaskan in 338 Win Mag that I might go back and put on layaway. There was also a pristine LNIB M77 Mkii in 257 Roberts but he wanted 7 bills for it which was a little to rich for me right now. I'm a sucker for tang safety Rugers so that 338 may have to come home with me too.

On Heaven's Range

Colonel Whelen was correct when he penned the line quoted below in my signature.

Since that time, .....1940s?..... the .30'06 has become even better, with the advent of the superb bullets of today.

I used the .338 extensively, almost always with Nosler Partitions of 210- or 225- grain weight. With those bullets, the routine expectation was a recovered weight of of 140 to 150 grains.

NOW, shooting the Barnes 180 TSX in an '06, I fully expect a recovered weight of 175 to 180 grains.... IF the bullet should even be recovered at all. To me, that places today's '06 on an almost -equal footing with my .338 loads of thirty years ago, and THAT means that a considerable improvement has taken place in the 108-year-old cartridge.

I've long loved the old chambering, and have killed well over 100 big-game animals with it.

My .30'06 Remington 700 is a lefty, and for years my moose load in the Northwest Territories was the Nosler 200 Partition. It killed very efficiently, and it departed at a chronographed 2750 fps from that '06's 22" barrel..... 2750 for 200 grains! At that speed, the trajectory was very nice within my self-imposed limit of 200 ESTIMATED yards. No moose ever complained (or escaped, once the shot was fired).

Your new rifle is chambered for a wonderful cartridge. I prefer it to the .300 Magnums, because it works just about as well with much less commotion and recoil.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    ...It comes with a cheap Bushnell Sportview 4x12x40. That'll be replaced with some better glass as well.
    osteodoc08,

Good choice on a rifle and caliber. Get the best glass you can afford. However, I like my Bushnell Sportview 4x12x40. I think it is a decent scope. Especially, after having two bad experiences with BSA glass. Seriously, if you don't want it, send it to me.

Thanks,
    Last edited by UBER7MM; 07-19-2014 at 08:36 AM.
    Uber7mm

Bambi: The great American hunting story as told through the eyes of the antagonist.

Banned

for jacketed, I'd suggest 150gr gameking, IMR4350

for cast, 311041 or 311284 with IMR3031

brass can be had about anywhere for next to nuthin, so look around on the ground at the range, many just dump it after shooting thier new factory ammo.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post

Robert
    True wisdom. If a 30-06 isn't enough, my next step is a 500 grain 45-70 load or a 300 grain 375 H&H load. The Remington in '06 will serve you well. IMR 4350 is my powder of choice, and I have really come to love the Nosler Accubond series.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by seaboltm View Post
    True wisdom. If a 30-06 isn't enough, my next step is a 500 grain 45-70 load or a 300 grain 375 H&H load. The Remington in '06 will serve you well. IMR 4350 is my powder of choice, and I have really come to love the Nosler Accubond series.
    Can you touch on, on game performance with the accubond.

Im im also looking at bullet weights. GA deer are to anything spectacular and any shot in the broiler room and you'll have a DRT deer. I hunt open fields, power lines and dense brush. I typically use my 45-70 if shots will be under 100 yds and plan on the 30-06 out to max of 300 yds. What does everyone suggest?

Love Life
    150-190 gr will kill the deer in GA. We used to cull them with much less than that.

Boolit Grand Master
    I usually used factory loaded Winchester 150 gr Power Points on Missouri Whitetail, with a 200 yard zero. It worked on every deer I ever shot with it.

Robert

Boolit Master
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Master

If you are a prospective father, does that mean you are still dipping your pan into the river? Just musing out loud.

Doc, I think the leupold VX-1 is on blowout from major retailers, would be a fine scope for a CDL.

Boolit Master
    I'm not sure I'd take one to Africa for big or dangerous stuff' but that's mostly because I have about half a safe full of 9,3mm or larger caliber rifles. Pretty good choice for anything in the Lower-48 though.

Mine's a very clean OM70.

Quote Originally Posted by RPRNY View Post
    Well, sounds like a nice varmint rifle. You know you can't hunt white tail with anything less than a 300 Magnum, right?

Enjoy!
    I think that the latest thinking is that the deer nowadays are so tough that you are undergunned if you don't use a 105mm howitzer

Boolit Master
    Not necessarily undergunned but certainly not as cool as the Range Ninjas.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Quote Originally Posted by JSnover View Post
    Not necessarily undergunned but certainly not as cool as the Range Ninjas.
    Hadn't thought of that, JS. You're right. They've also got the garb and the cutlery to go with the gun, to boot.

Maybe you could mount a bayonet on it? With a Picatinny rail, just for good measure.

Seriously though, great choice. My feeling is if you can't kill it with an '06, you probably shouldn't be shooting at it in the first place. I have heard of the 700 ADL and BDL, but what's the CDL?

thanks, and good shooting!
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by scattershot View Post
    Maybe you could mount a bayonet on it? With a Picatinny rail, just for good measure.

Seriously though, great choice. My feeling is if you can't kill it with an '06, you probably shouldn't be shooting at it in the first place. I have heard of the 700 ADL and BDL, but what's the CDL?

thanks, and good shooting!
    CDL stands for Classic DeLuxe.

See here:

http://www.remington.com/products/fi...l-700-cdl.aspx

Dont let the MSRP scare you off, I paid less than half that for a very nice example with minimal handling marks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast