RepackboxLoad DataReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
WidenersLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: LEE 358-140-SWC in 9mm

Boolit Master

LEE 358-140-SWC in 9mm

Hello all,
    What is to prevent me from using the Lee 358-140-SWC in a 9mm load?
    Can this not be lubed & sized for 9mm?
    There are 147gr loads for 9mm in just about all the books?
    Why not this boolit?

this is the only 6-banger mold I got in .38/357/9mm why could I not use this?

I've used the 125 grain lee stuff in 9mm, just have to size it right. I might have to look into that mold, I have been wanting to try something a little heavier in 9mm myself.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm thinking the 140 would have to be seated way too deep in a 9mm case in order to feed. Perhaps it would work in a revolver, but I gotta think pressures would be too high, or conversely, velocities would be too low with adjusted powder charges.

This boolit has the same nose profile as the 105 swc from Lee which has been used by many in the 9mm, so I have no doubt it can be made to work.
    Some people have feeding issues unless loaded to a short oal with the 105gr so the same would apply here.
    According to the Lee web site posted boolit dimensions, there would be nearly .4 inches of boolit inside the case. That would put a lot of boolit inside the case. There might be a problem with the case swaging down the back end of the boolit due to case thickness. Also the powder charge would need to be reduced due to decreased capacity.
    By all means give it a try and post your results, problems, and successes. People here are interested in the results.

Boolit Master

I loaded this exact bullet in my MK3 HP. Did fine. I believe I used Federal brass in my testing and Bullseye powder. Sized all of them to .358 and they fed, fired and functioned just fine.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master

The bullet I was loading is the discontinued 150gr. Lee SWC 358-150S cast from clip on wheel weights, sized to .358, lubed with home made lube of Moly grease and beeswax. My data is- 3.2gr. Bullseye, CCI small pistol primer, Federal cases, COAL- 1.060. Sorry for any confusion. This is a pretty accurate load according to my notes and memory. Use data at your own risk.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

That boolit shot well for me in 38 special, but I could not get it to feed in my Cz75,also bulged cases.
    NRA Instructor
    Basic Pistol
    Personal Protection Inside the Home
    Personal Protection Outside the Home
    Chief RSO
    Metallic Reloading

Boolit Buddy
    that's a mold i would love to try in the 9mm, but i suspect it might have to be seated pretty deep like tim357 said. i would certainly give it a shot if i ever bought that mold. i wish lee would come out with a 147gr 9mm mold!

the other 357 mold i would like to try in 9mm is the 358-150-1R 150gr round nose.

i have loaded 158gr bullets in my 9mm with some crappy plated bullets i got in a trade. they range from 150gr up to 158gr and .358 down to .354. i don't remember the load data but they were a bit to long to feed from my glock 17 but single fed they shot cycled fine. accuracy wise i didn't pay attention as i was shooting alot farther then i normally do.

Quote Originally Posted by Spawn-Inc View Post
    the other 357 mold i would like to try in 9mm is the 358-150-1R 150gr round nose.
    It is very short. Too short for my liking. The OAL was less than 1.000" in my CZ.

Can you size them to 356 or 357? They might fit the case if you could and not jam up the pistol.

Boolit Master

I sometimes use the Saeco #929-145gr sw made for the 38 super in my my three 9mm pistols , shoots ok and feeds well in all !
    I usually use the Saeco #384- 122gr rn the #377-122gr tc as well as the RCBS 9mm-124-rn gc for the 9mm

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bobthenailer View Post
    I sometimes use the Saeco #929-145gr sw made for the 38 super in my my three 9mm pistols , shoots ok and feeds well in all !
    I usually use the Saeco #384- 122gr rn the #377-122gr tc as well as the RCBS 9mm-124-rn gc for the 9mm
    Did you ever try that RCBS 9mm 124 RN w/o a GC in you 9mm?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    Did you ever try that RCBS 9mm 124 RN w/o a GC in you 9mm?
    No as the saeco#384-122 rn is a 8 cavity mould and the # 377 and the # 929 are 4 cavity moulds, the rcbs is a 2 cavity! i wish rcbs would make a 4 cavity mould in popular styles moulds. although the rcbs bullet is very accurate i usually only use them after a shooting session to clear out any leading if present ? i orgionaly bought the rcbs to shoot in my two 38 super's at full power .

I have shot quite a few gas ck boolet styles without gc in 357 , 44 and 45 with excellent accuracy from at least 3 guns in each caliber with no leading for loads from 800 to 1,100 fps.
    Last edited by bobthenailer; 07-25-2014 at 07:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spawn-Inc View Post
    I have tried that boolit in my 9mm. As I recall it bulged the cases a bit at the rear of the boolit but chambered and fed well. Accuracy was so-so. I loaded it with AA7 at 5.5 grains. I never did chrono that load.
    It has been a while and my techniques have improved since then. I should try it again. I have since changed barrels on the pistol for better accuracy.
    Not a priority for me though as I have other mold that drop a more useable boolit.
    The Lyman 358212 drops at 145grains for me and shoots superbly. It has a longer nose than the Lee boolit and fits in the 9mm case better.