Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackboxLee Precision
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BBQ Sauces

Boolit Grand Master
    We like Head Country sauce. I use their rub on my pork butt. I also like Famous Daves Devils spit, as I like mine on the hot side. Sometimes I take Daves Sweet and Sassy and add some Ghost Pepper sauce to make it "flavorful".

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    We like Head Country sauce. I use their rub on my pork butt. I also like Famous Daves Devils spit, as I like mine on the hot side. Sometimes I take Daves Sweet and Sassy and add some Ghost Pepper sauce to make it "flavorful".
    I second the Head Country, love that sauce. I'll choose it over anything else in the store. The only thing I liked better than Head Country is the homemade spicy house sauce at a local BBQ joint that is now gone.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by reloader28 View Post
    There is no comparison for me.
    Original Sweet Baby Rays is our favorite.
    Same here, but we usually cut it with a little apple cider vinegar and sometimes add some hot sauce.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master

Bullseye or Sweet Baby Ray's if I don't have time to make my own.

Homemade BBQ Sauce - good on most anything.

¼ cup vegetable oil
    1 cup minced onion
    ½ cup minced green pepper
    1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
    Pinch each of kosher salt and black pepper
    2 tablespoons minced garlic
    1 can (28 ounces) tomato sauce
    2 cups ketchup (preferably Heinz)
    1 cup water
    ¾ cup Worcestershire sauce
    ½ cup cider vinegar
    ¼ cup lemon juice
    ¼ cup molasses
    ¼ cup cayenne pepper sauce
    ¼ cup spicy brown mustard
    ¾ cup dark brown sugar, packed
    1 tablespoon chili powder
    2 teaspoons coarsely ground black pepper
    ½ teaspoon ground allspice
    1 tablespoon Liquid Smoke (optional)
    Pour the oil into a large saucepan and set over medium-high heat. Toss in the onions, green peppers, and jalapeños and give them a stir. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper and cook til soft and golden. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more. Dump in everything else except the Liquid Smoke. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat so the sauce simmers. Simmer for 10 minutes. Swirl in the Liquid Smoke and let the sauce cool. Pour it into a container, cover, and store in the fridge til ready to use.
    Makes 6 to 7 Cups
    "with liberty and justice for all"...must be 18 or older, not available in all states, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply. D. Stanhope

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." George Mason Co-author of the Second Ammemdment

Boolit Grand Master

Sweet Baby Rays!
    I was on a Hickory Brown Sugar kick for awhile. Now I won't touch it as it's way to sweet. Switched back to the original.

Someone mentioned HP sauce. I've never seen a barbecue sauce from them. I do like their basic brown steak sauce. It's excellent on a burger.

Boolit Master
    Store bought, it's usually Sweet Baby Ray's
    For homemade my recipe is about like what you guys have posted with these secret ingredients
    Substitute pickle juice for vinegar and add some DR.Pepper.
    I like mine with extra, natural rough ground mustard.
    Do, or do not.
    There is no try.
    Yoda

Moderator Emeritus

I have been trying to find a good sauce for beef. I don't like sweet sauces on beef so batting zero so far.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    I have been trying to find a good sauce for beef. I don't like sweet sauces on beef so batting zero so far.
    For a sauce that isn't sweet that is good on beef (and I wish they still made as I'm on my last bottle) is HP Guinness sauce.

It seems most of the BBQ sauces out there have a sweetness to them, are you looking for something without any sweetness or just a small amount of sweetness?

Moderator Emeritus

No sweet, I prefer savory flavors on beef. Tomato base will add all the sugar it needs for me.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    No sweet, I prefer savory flavors on beef. Tomato base will add all the sugar it needs for me.
    MaryB give this one a go. I make it as listed and it's been fantastic on everything I've tried it on so far. It's not real sweet like all the store bought sauces and has an excellent flavor.

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26228

I'd try it as listed first before you modify but if you insist on no sweet try it without the brown sugar.

Boolit Grand Master

Sweet Baby Ray's for store bought stuff for me. Otherwise I mix up a carolina sauce similar to what everyone else has posted.

Moderator Emeritus

Looks like it would be good on pork/chicken but to much sugar, sugar in th erub and pulled pork seasoning, molasses.... ketchup has sugar...

Quote Originally Posted by Jailer View Post
    MaryB give this one a go. I make it as listed and it's been fantastic on everything I've tried it on so far. It's not real sweet like all the store bought sauces and has an excellent flavor.

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26228

I'd try it as listed first before you modify but if you insist on no sweet try it without the brown sugar.

Boolit Mold
    Here is one tried tonight. It tasted good on smoked chicken, now to see how it taste with other kinds of meat.

Boolit Grand Master

If you want to make any sauce less sugary and more smoky reduce the sweeting and add an equal amount of coffee grounds. Yeah, it sounds funny, but it works.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Moderator Emeritus

Unless you hate that coffee taste in food I will drink coffee occasionally but not exactly my favorite

I have tried lots of sauces, but the one I keep going back to is KC Masterpiece hickory and brown sugar. Can't stand any sweet baby rays sauces. Famous daves is ok. I have tried a few smaller brand ones but they don't really do it for me. It is all personal taste. I usually don't put sauce on my ribs, and that is my most common bbq, so take it for what it's worth.
    You better watch where you go and remember where you been
    That's the way I see it I'm a Simple Man. - Charlie Daniels
    For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins. -Matthew 6:14-15

Boolit Master

I did pork ribs over the weekend, 3-2-1 method and served the sauce on the side. Sweet baby rays with some sweet mead and some of the rub I used on the ribs added, served on the side. Was very good.

Moderator Emeritus

Pork ribs I always serve dry with an assortment of sauces for people that want them. I also put the rub out and most add some extra rub or put some in a condiment cup to dip bites in. Pulled gets my Carolina sauce variant, beef I have been putting out sweet sauce but as mentioned I don't like the combo of sweet and beef. Will have to do some experimental sauce cooking this fall when canning season is over with to find one for beef. Maybe a dark ale/tomato/rosemary/garlic/onion/salt/tiny bit of dill... thinking out loud here...

Boolit Master

I don't buy sauces anymore, or salad dressings for that matter either. A waste of money.

I make my own bbq sauce, I like it a bit sweet but not overly sweet. For that reason honey isn't used at all for me.

catsup
    apple cider vinegar
    molasses
    minced fresh onion, cooked in the pot first with a touch of oil
    salt, pepper, garlic powder, cayenne, and a few other things like pecan liquid smoke

Molasses to me is the best sweetener for bbq. Brown sugar will work but it's not as good.

Well.. I love a good honey bbq. But back when i was workin with my dad we would mix up 2 gallons of kraft original and two gallons kraft hickory flavor throw in 4 lbs of brown sugar and 4 lbs relish.

Came out pretty darn good on ribs and fried chicken.
    Using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast