Reloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackboxLoad Data
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Lead Alloy ??????

Boolit Buddy

Lead Alloy ??????

A while ago a fellow gun club member mentioned he had a bunch of lead, and wanted to know if I be interest in it. Of course I said I take it. Well, he brought it to the range today. It was an assortment of scrap alloys in a 5 gal. bucket. I guessed about 60-70lbs, so I gave him 20 bucks for it.

When I got home I started sorting through it. Well first thing I noticed was 5lbs of bar tin,1.5lbs 50/50 solder,20lbs of pure lead and another 40 lbs of on unknown scrap lead alloy that I'll take to scrap yard.
    My question, in this assortment stuff were 3- 4.5lbs ingots marked Hewitt Detroit, on the back they are stamped 3-6-5.
    When you lift these ingots you can tell they not heavy enough to be pure lead. I'm hoping its tin. Is anybody familiar with these markings. If not, how can find out which alloy it is??????

BigboreShooter

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    X-ray gun at your local scrap yard. That eliminates all your guess-work.

banger

Boolit Buddy

You ought to catch up with this guy and present him with a good bottle of Scotch for the tin.

Upon google searching Hewitt Detroit it seems that the company produced alloys containing Radium. I would not handle these (or keep them in the house) until you know for certain what they are.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy".
    Ben Franklin

Boolit Master
    Why scrap the 40 pounds. Make some boolits first.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Again.......local scrap yard! All of mine have Geiger counters AND x-ray guns at the ready to check all materials. It is required by regulations.

Check with your local big scrap mongers.

banger

Any University will have a Geiger counter which is what you need to check for radium. You should really do this check for your safety and the safety of others. Back in the day they used radioactive materials to "enhance" stuff without any knowledge of it being dangerous. Just like you can buy copper or magnet bracelet for arthritis pain today at any corner pharmacy back then you could buy a radioactive one.

You might actually want to put it in a bucket with some lead around the bucket. Just saying better safe than sorry.