MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWidenersReloading Everything
Load DataSnyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: July 4th Ribs

Boolit Grand Master

July 4th Ribs

I did three slabs. Gave one to the neighbor.

Shioh

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ribs July 4th .jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	110821
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Buddy

Yeah, I smoked a few, too.

Name:	July4ribs.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	110846

Boolit Bub
    Looks delicious!

Moderator Emeritus

looks good I did some meaty baby backs and pulled pork. Ribs were for me the day before

Boolit Grand Master
    Baby back are worth the extra money in the long run. I bought a full slab of ribs and trimmed it my self into a St. Louis Style ribs. There is a LOT of fat between the meaty skin on the brisket part. If the price is right, and it was, they are practical.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Buddy

Good looking rib picks, Shilo and MaryB. My wife has gotten to the point now that she just rolls her eyes when I take Q pics ... she still gives me a hard time that I have more pics of the smoker and content than I have of the family gathering after the smoker has done its job!

I have fun with it.

more stuff
    http://s12.photobucket.com/user/DBAP...?sort=4&page=1

Boolit Grand Master
    You too??
    Whats wrapped in bacon??

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
    You too??
    Whats wrapped in bacon??

Shiloh
    Maybe a pair of pork loins? Looks awesome! I like those "country style" as well, haven't seen them in awhile.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Buddy

You too??
    Whats wrapped in bacon??

Shiloh
    The first pic are bacon wrapped turkey breasts. As much as I like bacon wrapped anything, I realized there is such a thing as "too much bacon!" don't ban me for that sacrilege! in this case, completely bacon wrapped stopped most of the smoke to the turkey breasts.

I had another pic somewhere of wild turkey breasts, with just a couple of pieces of bacon on each ... I experimented with a bunch of different fruit juice brines on those - orange, mango, apple and mixed fruit juices - they all came out great!

Name:	DSCN3676.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	112.9 KB 
ID:	111011

Oh by the way ... notice what that pan of beans is sitting under? Juicy wonderfulness dripping into a pan of smoked beans, and the jalepeno drippings gave them a nice little kick!

Boolit Grand Master
    These look GREAT

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

Moderator Emeritus

Slow smoked spares done right are like bacon on a stick(bone) the fat is flavor! Last butt I cooked I had to fight people off, they were stealing all the crispy fat that I wanted mixed in with the meat.

Baby back are worth the extra money in the long run. I bought a full slab of ribs and trimmed it my self into a St. Louis Style ribs. There is a LOT of fat between the meaty skin on the brisket part. If the price is right, and it was, they are practical.

Shiloh

Boolit Grand Master
    Ask me how I know. When I do thighs, sometimes the skin mysteriously disappears.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

Moderator Emeritus

cooks treat! Just have to keep the horde off until you get your fill lol

Boolit Mold
    Those ribs look better than the ones I did on the smoker July 3rd. Now the beef brisket was the centerpiece of the supper table - everyone raved about that.

Boolit Grand Master
    Sure hope I can find the time for a brisket. They are day long affairs on the smoker.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

Boolit Mold
    Sure hope I can find the time for a brisket. They are day long affairs on the smoker.

Shiloh
    Very true. I started mine at night - temps on the WSM were around 250 the entire time. After the bark formed I put it in foil then let it keep going. For a 13.7 pound brisket it took about 12 hours to cook, then I let it rest for about 4 hours. But the wait was worth it.

One good way to keep the charcoal (I used kingsford competition brickettes) and wood going so none had to be added the entire time was using the Minion method. It definitely helped so I could get some sleep.

Boolit Master

YUM!!! Made me hungry. Now to my diet lunch. sigh.................

Moderator Emeritus

Instead of brisket I have been doing 3 inch thick beef chuck roasts. They pull like pork butts and the beef flavor rivals that of a brisket

Boolit Master

Sniper,
    I had to google Minion Method, never new it had a name!

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerd View Post
    Sniper,
    I had to google Minion Method, never new it had a name!
    Beerd - It is an interesting story how it got its name from Jim Minion and how he took 1st place in chicken and 2nd place in ribs at the competition he first did it at, and so the "method" was born.

All I know is that by whatever name a person wants to call it, that it works great.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast