RotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline FabricationReloading Everything
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: Need a little help with 45-70 pp

Need a little help with 45-70 pp

Hello all. I just got my h&r buffalo classic 45-70 in today. Just starting some work up loads. I plan to use solely paper patch in this rifle. I've had good success with pp in my 303 Brit and 7.62x54 mosin.

The mold I have a question about is the lee 500gr postel style boolit. I've wrapped two times onion skin and sized down to .457". When I load my dummy round into the chamber it closes a little tight and when I pull the dummy out of the chamber it is tough to extract and there are rifling impressions in the patch. Is this ok? I've never run into this before with my 311 cal's. It is not cutting into the rifling just making a slight mark so I can clearly see where the rifling was touching and pushing in on my patch.

Thanks for any advice. Matt

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	37.2 KB 
ID:	110763

Also I have a second question since I'm asking. I also cast and shoot 45acp. I have an oversized 230 gr hp bullet I patched and is .457" any load start point suggestions here in the 45-70? I'm not lookin for anything super fast just a light weight plinkers. I have a decent selection of powder available. I'd prefer maybe bullseye or unique. Maybe trail boss. 1000-1200 fps ish.

Cast,size down,PP,load then fire. Repeat
    For fun plinker's in a 45-70 try 10gr of 700X

I'm just making sure that pushing that patch into the rifling will not cause any issues. I know with full copper jackets you don't want them into the rifling. I'm just making sure I can do that safely with these paper patched. My thought is it will be fine. Primarily just double checking.

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by sisiphunter View Post
    I'm just making sure that pushing that patch into the rifling will not cause any issues. I know with full copper jackets you don't want them into the rifling. I'm just making sure I can do that safely with these paper patched. My thought is it will be fine. Primarily just double checking.
    That is no problem... ideally, that is what all PP should look like. Any jump to the rifling is to be avoided. On your lighter PP 230, you should realize that PP really needs to bump up into the rifling some, so use a soft alloy and a load that will do that.... light doesn't always work well.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by sisiphunter View Post
    Hello all. I just got my h&r buffalo classic 45-70 in today. Just starting some work up loads. I plan to use solely paper patch in this rifle. I've had good success with pp in my 303 Brit and 7.62x54 mosin.

The mold I have a question about is the lee 500gr postel style boolit. I've wrapped two times onion skin and sized down to .457". When I load my dummy round into the chamber it closes a little tight and when I pull the dummy out of the chamber it is tough to extract and there are rifling impressions in the patch. Is this ok? I've never run into this before with my 311 cal's. It is not cutting into the rifling just making a slight mark so I can clearly see where the rifling was touching and pushing in on my patch.

Thanks for any advice. Matt
    I use a lot of teflon tape on my 45-70 cast bullets, I get the same rifling engraving on the teflon as you are getting on the paper.
    I find accuracy is very good when the fit is tight, if my bore measures .457, I will shoot cast bullets that measure up to .460, there is no need for paper when bullet size is 2 thou bigger than bore size.
    The 45-70, the only Government I trust.
    The Gospel of speed is accuracy.