Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Load DataRepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dropping from mold without damage?

Boolit Master

towel in a pot for me. Water drop? fill pot with water. No water drop? No water in the pot. When the boolits stack too high, tip the pot and they roll to one side. When they fill the bottom, pull the towel and put it on the layer of boolits.

Store pot under casting pot when not in use.

Maybe open the mold closer to the pile of bullets, so the drop is not so far? Perhaps your mold is getting too hot? Any sprue smearing?

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Maximumbob54 View Post
    I just water drop everything. It may make it tough to go through the sizing die but a quick pass through a Lee push through will make quick work of them going into the lube die.
    I agree with you Maxbob, I tried the towel thing and it was way too slow. I cant figure out what the advantage of dropping boolits on cloth is. water droped boolits might be a little harder, but not enough to sweat.

You can haul *** dropping in water.

Boolit Master
    Noone has tried increasing the viscosity of the water so that dropped boolits fal slowly through? I'm thinking of those water crystals in the garden section.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Oreo View Post
    Noone has tried increasing the viscosity of the water so that dropped boolits fal slowly through? I'm thinking of those water crystals in the garden section.
    water crystals? i'm interested in your idea.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Maximumbob54 View Post
    I just water drop everything. It may make it tough to go through the sizing die but a quick pass through a Lee push through will make quick work of them going into the lube die.
    I suppose I should admit I do this too for my .459-.460 casts that get sized to .452. Lee push through unlubed will lock the gas check on and size to .454 or .452 (depends on lead hardness, not water dripping that depands I use the .454 sizer rather than the .452), then into the .452 luber-sizer die in the lyman 45.

No lube needed in the LEE when using a gas check. No leading.

Boolit Master

If you wish to keep water dropping and don't want the hard sizing you can get around it 2 ways. One, size right after casting, like the same day. If that's not to your liking, immediately after casting put them in a freezer till you want to size them. That will arrest the hardening process for at least a week to 10 days and they will remain about the same as when you took them out of the water.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Buddy
    I utilize a pan with 6 layers of paper towels covered with a cut and fit terry-cloth (3 layers deep) over the paper. So far, so good!

Also hit my first milestone! 100th post. I read a whale of a lot more than I write!

May the Peace of God Be With You!
    and to ensure it, Keep Your Powder Dry!
    NRA Endowment Member
    Life Member 1957
    NRA Member since 1954
    NRA Training Counselor: Rifle . Pistol. Shotgun. Metallic Reloading. Shotshell Reloading, Personal Protection In the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief Range Safety Office
    DrBill33
    castmine:
    "Where is John Gault?"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12