Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad Data
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dropping from mold without damage?

Boolit Master

Dropping from mold without damage?

I recently got back into casting and found that my technique leaves a bit (a lot) to be desired.

I'm returning about 500 bullets to the pot because, on examining the bases, I found that the majority had dings that probably would degrade accuracy. This apparently happened when they were dropped from the mold onto the pile of bullets.

Yes, I know. I didn't realize how soft the alloy remained when it was fresh from the mold. And I used to drop into water, but do not want to do that now. (Makes it tougher to get through the sizer/lubricator die.)

So, before I reinvent the wheel, I'm sure someone here has a fool-proof (remembering that we're ingenious) way to drop without damage and without slowing up the process excessively. I was thinking of dropping onto a sloped surface (cardboard) that would give the bullets a little extra time to cool, and that would reduce the force when they landed on the pile.

Thank you,
    Richard

Boolit Buddy

I drop them onto an old bed spread. You could also use an old (one you aren't going to use again ) towel or blanket. Just drop them on an empty spot on the towel. When they build up, move them out of the way and drop some more.

Boolit Master
    I use an extra large bath towel, folded a few times to provide some loft, and do as Jayhawk suggested. I drop bullet onto an empty spot on the towel and move them as needed. You can simply lift one end of the towel and roll all the bullets into a pile at the other end of the towel.

Boolit Grand Master

I line an paint roller tray with fluffy towels and drop on an open area when the tapered area gets full pick up edges of towel and gently roll them down into the depresion area. start over and fill the open area to when you need to roll bullets down again. I may lay 3 or 4 towels in the pan and when one gets full I cn pick it up and stat over, or if Im casting 2-3 diffrent bullets that day. The paint roller trays work good for me. I have several metal ones and the rolled edge gives a straight surface to pre alighn the blocks on when closing also.

Boolit Master
    [Slaps forehead!]

Another problem that didn't require a high-tech solution.

Thanks!

Richard
    Isn't a 9mm just a .45 set on stun? -- Amy W.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred."
    -- Niccolo Machiavelli

USPSA A32025
    NRA Life

Boolit Master
    Use a large piece of leather on top of a 1" thick foam mat. Not styrofoam.
    don't drop boolits onto other boolits.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Banned
    This vvvvv

Quote Originally Posted by high standard 40 View Post
    i use an extra large bath towel, folded a few times to provide some loft, and do as jayhawk suggested. I drop bullet onto an empty spot on the towel and move them as needed. You can simply lift one end of the towel and roll all the bullets into a pile at the other end of the towel.

Boolit Grand Master

I have a box that I line with a folded bath towel. It must be cotton. If not, you can melt it. Don't use the microfiber stuff. I drop, allow to cool and grab edge of towel and roll boolits off to side. When they build up, I lift towel up and cooled and hard boolits go to the bottom and place the towel back on top. I have to be careful with this as they boolits build up fast......and so does the weight. 40# lead in a box is heavy to carry up and down stairs!

Boolit Master

I just water drop everything. It may make it tough to go through the sizing die but a quick pass through a Lee push through will make quick work of them going into the lube die.

Boolit Master

I lay out a towel on another folded towel or chair cushion. I drop onto a clean spot until the towel is full then lift two corners and they roll to the back. When I'm done I let them cool for a while then, I lift the towel and gently pour them into coffee cans for later.
    Every shot you get in life counts

Boolit Master

I drop in a galvanized bucket that has a bunch of cotton towel scraps. Like the others when towel is full roll them. Off on to one underneath. Tin bucket because of fire concerns Tim

Boolit Grand Master

I use an old bath towel, folded and lain into a shallow sided card board box. Drop bullets onto towel so they don't drop on each other. When towel is mostly covered , lift up one side of towel and gently roll them to one end of box. Do it again until you run out of towel room.

Boolit Grand Master

Todays casting session I layered 4 hand towels in the paint roller tray. When I ran out of room and the pile was big enough I just gathered the corners of the towel up and picked up the bullets and set them off to the side out of the way. Fresh towel already in place ready to go.

Boolit Grand Master

Wish I could share a fancy hi-tech trick with you, but I use an old towel too! I fold mine up a few times and use a beer flat ( half of a box) for a landing zone.

Boolit Master
    I use a section of bubble rap inside an old flannel pillow case. Been using the same one for 10+ years.
    "There's a Fine Line Between Hobby and Mental Illness"!

A simple folded towel, like the rest, just move the bullets so you are dropping on the towel.a cardboard box works too, move the bullets out of the way.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Buddy
    Yep, the old bath towel works great.

Boolit Buddy
    I use a 5 gal bucket about 1/2 full of water with an old towel draped over the top and down into the water so that the Boolit slides or rolls into the water without splashing. Empty when the bucket is 1/3 full of Boolits. This "takes care of itself" so that you can concentrate on the casting efforts.
    Getting old is the best you can hope for.

Boolit Master
    Same as above but red shop towel is enough, fold in half, lay in a flat baking pan.
    I spray a little water on it but it's not likely to catch fire anyway.

Boolit Master
    You can get those dings from not opening mould enough, and the soft cast base hits mould on way out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast