MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackboxWideners
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stinking chronograph

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    I guess I need a million micro farad flux capacitor!
    I hear they have them that run off veggie/compost/waste now Jim....think green

Boolit Grand Master

One thing I got in the habit of doing when chronographing loads was to use my RWS pellet gun and a select group of pellets to check the set up start and finish of session 5 rds at start tells me the set up is good and working 5 rounds when done tells me nothing has changed. A spring piston air gun with the exact same pellets is very consistent. I had bead blasted a sheet of plexiglass to cover my screens to give good non direct light. Seemed to work. A piece of frosted plastic for bathroom windows or shower doors would work also.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 357maximum View Post
    I hear they have them that run off veggie/compost/waste now Jim....think green
    Is that stuff from Obumbler?
    Last edited by 44man; 07-15-2014 at 05:38 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    Is that stuff from Obumbler?

I said think green, not stop thinking entirely Obummer is another one of them bullies that force his will on others, do not get me started.

Jim,

You can stop them faulty readings by aiming about 6-7 inches low.

Boolit Grand Master
    But that only works once......
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Yes, but it's permanent!

Quote Originally Posted by 376Steyr View Post
    I like to check my Pact by firing a few shots with a .22 across it before I get serious, especially if I'm testing loads that use premium ($$) jacketed. Trying to use mine in the late evening, with the sun going horizontal across the screens, is an exercise in frustration.
    +1 on that. I do the same with my rimfire. Also,I had some issues with my Pact PC 2 not reading also one day and all it was,was a little accumulated dust on the sensors.I've had my chono for as long as there were only two to choose from,Pact or the very expensive other one," O ". I wrap bandannas around the sensors for dust covers.I also tape the wires to the rail so they do not just hang from the unit and put needless wear at the connection.Handle wires with care when storing them.I use velcro to tie them in place along the rail for storage.I really like my Pact.It's been a good one.

Banned

You guys crack me up! , Yeah thought about aiming low.
    I just made some new screen covers from some plastic sheeting I had, buffed them with Scotch Brite. need to try today. Might even out the light better.
    A question was asked of me about accuracy and ES readings. The gentleman did not want to step on my post but it is OK.
    I never use the chrono to work loads, only to see what I have once accuracy is found. I prefer to work loads first and many times the largest ES is more accurate. The thing is a distraction to me. I also hate to set it up. Look across it and tweak it a thousand times. In the heat and bugs, I just want to shoot, find what I want and get it over with.
    The 30-30 Marlin is proving to give me groups of 1" and under at 100 with cast. A friend gave me a box of Sierra 125 gr flat nose HP's but I don't know what to do with them. I don't hunt with a rifle and I sure would not use these bullets on deer. Be like running a deer through a wringer washer!

Here is how I setup, I rarely have issues with error reading, chrono'd about 150 rounds yesterday from 10mm/.357.41/.44 and .308 and only had 3 bad readings

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chrony setup.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	110845
    μολών λαβέ

Banned

I got all readings today. Shot the 30-30 Marlin And got this;
    150 RCBS with 18 gr of 4759.Hu 1873 .5 fps, low 1830.2, SD 17.7, Mad 13.8, ES 43.3 and ave was 1850 fps.
    My 187 with 3031 was high 1903 fps, low 1873. SD 21.7, Mad 15.4, ES 30.8 and ave 1888.4. I did get over 1900 with a few shots.
    4895 was Hi at 1760.1, low 1684 .9, SD 30.8, Mad at 23.7, ES 75.2 and ave at 1710.2
    The target shows the 4759 loads out but the hole in the center was both 3031 and 4895, 50 yardsAttachment 111024

Banned

Strange 4759 was not good with the 150 RCBS, all info I have shows it was the best powder. I need to work 3031 with it, it is the right size at .311".
    Feels kind of good to see a hole just get larger with the two other powders.
    Frosting on the cake is with a home made mold.
    I am seeing 3031 the perfect fit. I have worked every other powder that can be used and some loads guys post, like 4227, etc, were so sad, I quit trying.
    I really do try what you fellas say.
    You can see that the smallest SD did not mean much.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12