WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: Zinc stickons

Boolit Buddy

Zinc stickons

I was smelting some wheel weights this weekend and sorting out the stickons from the clipons. I found some stickons that weren't magnetic yet were hard. Had no markings on them but a weight. Iwas going to test some later with HCL then I found some with Zn on them. I haven't seen anything here about zinc stickons so beware they are out there. If I did miss a post on this better a double warning than none.

Banned

I have seen zinc, steel, and ceramic stick-ons.
    mostly Fe marked ones.

I found a few that were marked Zn this weekend. Also got some that felt like Nerf football material that was infused with lead. Never seen that before!
    Your career doesn't define the man you are, what kinda Dad you are does!

If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom.
    Dwight D. Eisenhower

Boolit Buddy
    boho, I found some of that also but I don't know if it was worth the smoke and smell to throw in the pot.

I didn't either. I set it aside for now. Found some SOWW today that looked chrome plated.
    Your career doesn't define the man you are, what kinda Dad you are does!

If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom.
    Dwight D. Eisenhower

Very close to 100% of the zinc stick-on's I have seen are painted with a sky blue color and they have a "ZN" in the upper right corner. On half of these the ZN isnt indented well and takes a little wipe off of the dirt or flashlight at an angle to see the ZN. I've gotten really good at spotting zinc wheel weights and I think I'm going to make a post with all the various zinc wheel weights I have found. I've actually melted about 15 pounds into bars, and I have about 35 pounds left that I can take some pictures of. There is one variety of zinc clip-on weights that never say "ZN" on them.

Boolit Buddy
    Just got done with sorting and smelting a batch of WW today. The stickon WW seem to be either very soft (Lead) or very hard (Zinc). I have been using a pair of side cutters to test for Zinc. There were WW of the clip on kind that had the clip wrapped around the WW not imbeded. These were all Zinc. Still have some that I am suspicious of. I did not see any labeled with ZN on them.

edc

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by AggieEE View Post
    boho, I found some of that also but I don't know if it was worth the smoke and smell to throw in the pot.
    I had a bunch of that stuff, it stunk pretty bad and if I remember right it left a lot of crude in the pot. If I ever melt that stuff again I'll use an old junk pot.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Grand Master

Konsole, I think thats a good idea and I would like to see your pics.

Boolit Master
    Some stick on wheel weights are Tin so don't throw away until you are sure or if they are specifically marked.

Boolit Master

A little time saving tip...

I throw everything in the pot to melt, zinc, steal and lead..I then start to heat, as I heat I stir to prevent any HOT spots in the bottom of the pot.. You will notice things starting to heat up and melt..keep stirring

When the clips start to float and turn black, it is time to scoop out the zinc, clips and junk.. You have a few minutes of heating before the Zinc melts because of the higher melt temp of zinc..This works every time and I have never ruined a pot of lead..

Practice with a 1/2 pot if your hesitant

I do pull some of the garbage out ahead of smelting