MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee Precision
RepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingWideners
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AR furniture

Boolit Master

AR furniture

hey all
    im thinking about putting some new furniture on my AR what i would like to know is it worth it to switch to Magpul
    right now i have the stock furniture that came on my RRA its just a plane Jane AR. i use it for HD and target. also
    if you can post a pic of how you have yours set up that would be great
    thanks
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Bub
    Magpul rocks

Magpul makes a variety of stuff. I love my PRS, and also have some of their smaller bits and pieces, but wouldn't touch a lot if thier stuff, because to me it just looks overpriced for what you get compared to the many other manufacturers out there making the same quality parts.

ETA the PRS stock requires a fixed rifle length upper extension (buffer tube, spring, and buffer). It won't fit the adjustable length carbine tube. The extra parts don't cost much compared to the price of the stock itself, and I thought it was worth the extra effort to get the stock I wanted.
    Last edited by Cmm_3940; 10-05-2014 at 10:52 AM.

Boolit Master
    Just yesterday my order from Brownell's arrived with my Magpul PRS stock that I put on my Encore rifle using a Choate M-4 pistol grip and AR buffer tube. The stock from Magpul works and looks great and I would not hesitate to buy another one.

Banned

I like the plain old A2 stock for target.

Boolit Master

Does Target mean Highpower Rifle matches or plugging away at Tactical Rifle match or 3-gun run and shoot? For Highpower matches, I would say stay with the A2 or go with one of the specialized Match Rifle stocks that have even more adjustment points to customize to your shooting style than the MagPuls.

Magpuls have decent reviews from most everyone who have used them, but you have to ask yourself will the added cost of the After-Market stock raise your scores equally or shrink the groups sizes of the rifle?

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Magpul is definently worth it. I have the tan handgaurd and ctr stock on mine. Way better than standard stuff.color looks great too

Boolit Master
    Bruce, one thing I have learned from shooting small-bore position is the rifle has to fit you, think ergonomics. I just added a Magpul PRS to my Encore rifle and now I do not have to raise my cheek off the rifle in order to look through the scope, a great improvement for me.

Boolit Grand Master

For target covers alot of disciplines NRA High Power, Tactical, 3 gun. and others. NRA sevice rifle is what it says rifle is in militry configuration as issued at least the outside, inside is anything goes and rifle must have a 4 1/2+ trigger. NRA match rifle allows alot more leway as to stocks, pistol grips, sights, barrels, triggers and handgaurds. My service rifle is a colt H bar with 1/2 min sight conversion, jewel 2 stage stage trigger, and float tube under the hadgaurd. My AR match rifle is diffrent story all together. It has an adjustable butplate ( hieght length cant) and a adjustable cheek piece ( length and hieght. ) these are mounted to the buffer tube no stock on it. Hand grip is a modified A2 to fit my hand. Barrel is 26" krieger stainless 1-7 twist with port moved forward 4". Handgaurd is aluminum vented for cooling slotted for handstop and adjustable for cant. SIghts are warner rear RPA ladder front apetures. Bolt release is moved over to reach from right side with trigger finger. Its pad is inside trigger gaurd slightly behind mag release. Magpull is supposed to be good Ive seen it but never used any personally. I have 2 uppers built for the match rifle the spare is one I converted to flat top from a armalite service rifle second I got at a very good price as the carry handle was slightly bent. Both are basically the same set up other than athe spare has a lilja barrel on it. Decide what you want need and if possible handle some rifles set up that way to see if you do like the modifications first. Most of mine can be replaced with standard if need be. The adjustable butt and cheek piece are screw clamp on. The modified bolt release is a pin away from a standard being back in. The biggest change is a good trigger either single stage or 2 stage, Giesels are very good right now. I have jewels in my rifles as the giesel wasnt available when I built my rifles. Get a good adjustable trigger and set it where you re comfortable with it and a short break.

Compass Lake Engineering just built me an A4 upper with their free floated hand guard and heavy Douglas barrel. It is chambered using their special reamer. Rifle is a heavy sucker, but easy to hold steady. Now I need to get some better open sites for it (no scope).

I do not like aftermarket furniture.

Boolit Grand Master

Since you asked for pictures here is mine.

Mid-Length MOE handguard and CTR buttstock. Nothing special but it makes for a light handy rifle. I'm still not sold on ARs and I built this as an exercise because I could.

Boolit Master

Doc, I understand setting the rifle up for your shooting style. I just placed an 8" sight extension tube on a 20" barrel to allow me to use iron sights a bit better as my eyes age and don't adjust as easily to the front sight.

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    Yes! Magpul is a gunbuilders dream company as they put out tough ergonomic gear at a fair price! Here is my build with a Spike's Tactical upper/lower and Daniel Defense CL,HF middy barrel with BCG!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Boolit Master
    Here is a picture of the Magpul PRS stock on my Encore rifle chambered in 7mm BR.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1639 - Copy a.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	89.5 KB 
ID:	120255

Here's my varmint setup with the Magpul PRS stock. There's nothing lightweight about this AR.

Recipe:

DPMS lower receiver
    Midwest Industries billet upper
    RRA 22" Heavy SS bbl, 1-8", Wylde chamber
    Les Baer Custom national match BCG
    Magpul PRS stock
    Timney competition trigger
    JP Enterprises adjustable gas block
    Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14x42
    Burris AR-P.E.P.R.
    BCM Gunfighter charging handle med
    Blackhawk aluminum quad rail
    Blackhawk QD sling swivel
    Blackhawk sling adapter
    ERGO low profile rail covers
    CMMG LPK
    DPMS standard buffer
    JP Enterprises tuned buffer spring
    KNS Lower pins
    LWRC standard buffer tube
    Magpul XL trigger guard aluminum
    Mako rubberized pistol grip
    Phase 5 EBRv2 Extended Bolt Release
    Seekins billet mag release button
    Del-Ton gas tube
    YHM Predator flash hider/brake

Moderator Emeritus

DPMS complete lower, delton BCG, no name slick side upper, DEZ match grade barrel, Midwest Industries free float hand guard, forget for the gas block and since it is out of sight...

I found One of these for a mill spec M4 stock for $19 shipped on Amazon it was the best $20 spent on a ar part yet http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0063I...110_SY165_QL70

I like the ergo grip

Quote Originally Posted by bruce drake View Post
    Doc, I understand setting the rifle up for your shooting style. I just placed an 8" sight extension tube on a 20" barrel to allow me to use iron sights a bit better as my eyes age and don't adjust as easily to the front sight.
    Bruce, got any pics of your bloop tube?

Boolit Master

LOL,

I just took it off yesterday! Found I didn't require the 8 extra inches if I placed the front sight block at the end of the 20" barrel (gained 4 extra inches on the sight radius) and I used a low-profile block to hold the gas-tube for semi-action operation.

Bruce

Perma-Banned

I have switched my AR's over to magpul. I really like them. The grips feel nicer in my hands and M4 stocks are awesome

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast