Inline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad Data
RepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything

Thread: Blind Trust: Slugging / Firelapping

Boolit Master

Blind Trust: Slugging / Firelapping

Remember the guidance to develop your loads in the summer top be good year round and then wonder where that comes from? Everybody now knows and understands that dreaded revolver "thunk" when your slug stops dead before it exits the forcing cone and how to address it with fire lapping and when to stop. We all know how to slug clean to get our measurements. And we breathe a sigh of relief when any new or fire lapped gun passes the test.

Well I'm here to tell ya that if your loads drift in the summer, POI changes, or the 5th or 6th shot tend to be or are fliers or you get slight leading, it may not be fatigue or your lube or bullet hardness, miss aligned cylinders, the load or any of the other things we discuss here. When metal heats, it expands .... and sometimes walks. If it walked and produced a constriction in the first place, chances are it continues in that same direction as it heats. The bad news? Can happen to guns that didn't show a constriction when new / cold. My advise is that if you have problems in the summer and you have any doubt at all, before throwing current load strategy out the window, learn to slug hot .... and even dirty can provide beneficial information at times. I keep my cold slug now just for this purpose.

Coarse it won't tell you much if your leaded. So plan accordingly when you test.
    Reading can provide limited education because only shooting provides YOUR answers as you tie everything together for THAT gun. The better the gun, the less you have to know / do & the more flexibility you have to achieve success.

Banned

welcome back Jon.
    it's been a while.

Boolit Grand Master

Good to hear from you Bass! Time to get the hair dryer out, start with pin gauges and the cylinder huh. I've left rifles and revolvers on an uncovered bench, walked down to change targets and when you get back they can be hot to touch, does ring of truth.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    It's good to read you, again, sir.