Load DataRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
WidenersInline FabricationRepackboxReloading Everything
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scope Shimming

Boolit Master

Scope Shimming

I think I known the answer to this but I am staring to second guess myself. I have a scope that has run out of "up" adjustment. It is hitting low and I can't adjust the scope up to the POI. Which mount needs to be shimmed; the front or the rear?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate69 View Post
    I think I known the answer to this but I am staring to second guess myself. I have a scope that has run out of "up" adjustment. It is hitting low and I can't adjust the scope up to the POI. Which mount needs to be shimmed; the front or the rear?
    Same as with iron sights.

Move the rear in the direction you want the POI to move.

or,

Move the front in the opposite direction.

Be careful. If you shim too much, you can bend your scope tube.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

What he said ^^^^^^^^

Shimming the rear mount up makes the scope look down more which in turn raises the barrel end up.
    Just a business card thickness worked for me.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Master
    ^ all good advice!
    Usually if a scope has run out of vertical adjustment, something is "kattywompus" with the rings/bases or the the gun. Some guns, including milsurps, that have been ground or modified are odd anyway and correct rings/bases may not exist. Those usually call for custom bases. It would be better to solve the problem with correct rings/bases than by shimming. In any event don't over-shim…. as has been posted.

Boolit Grand Master

My long range rifles scope mounts are 20 mins built into the mount. The riser rails I made for my ARs are 10 - 15 mins built in elevation and the iron sight mount for my warner rear built into them. Shim the rear up and if possible relap the rings into alighnment before re mounting the scope. If you can get on paper this will give you an idea how much shim you will need, Error in inches X sight Radious in inches ( distance between rings with a scope) / range in inches. Another thing is its easier and much neater to use one shim than a stack of them. Blacken the edges of the shim before installing it also.

Boolit Master

pick up a set of burris signature series rings, and be done with it. that way you have no worries about killing a scope from the front and rear bases being out of alignment.

A hint for adjusting sights in the right direction, whether it is the front or rear sight (or a scope to be trimmed):

Simply imagine you move the sight in question a copious amount up/down or left/right - like a couple of inches - then you just imagine lining up the sights
    and notice in which direction the barrel is pointing. Simple, not?
    Cap'n Morgan

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lefty o View Post
    pick up a set of burris signature series rings, and be done with it. that way you have no worries about killing a scope from the front and rear bases being out of alignment.
    This is the best answer. Many things can be out of alignment to cause the scope issues, where the scope doesn't have enough adjustment to correct it. Without finding what is out of alignment and fixing that, the best things are the Burris rings.

Shimming a scope ring changes the internal diameter too small, and something has to give, which will be the scope barrel. Plus it takes the other ring out of alignment with the shimmed ring, and will surely scar the scope.

Boolit Master

I have seen lots of guns with shims to get the scope lined up right. A drop of Loctite will keep things from moving around. You can make shims from pop cans or buy a set here http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...-prod6883.aspx

Boolit Grand Master
    Burris makes a ring set that has asymmetrical inserts so you can adjust a whackey scope way off of where plain rings put it. I suggest looking into them. It's easy, clean, and just the ticket for your problem.

Basically you bring the scope to it's center (center adjusted for elevation & windage) and then install it with the asymmetric ring inserts. Adjust POI as you go. Once you have centered the scope, lock it down and make any final, minute adjustments with the scope's turrets. You can make any kind or combination of adjustments. High, low, left, right, or high right, high left, etc. that you need just by turning the inserts. You end up with no shims or other bubba like corrections and a perfectly centered scope. Until these came along, my adjustments, when needed, were pure bubba technology, which worked fine, but looked bubbaish.

In Remembrance

An old gunsmith once told me about shimming a scope. "Either get a new scope or different mounts, `cause somethings not right". As to shims he said to use metal from a beer or soda can, card paper can draw moisture.Robert

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by B R Shooter View Post
    This is the best answer. Many things can be out of alignment to cause the scope issues, where the scope doesn't have enough adjustment to correct it. Without finding what is out of alignment and fixing that, the best things are the Burris rings.

Shimming a scope ring changes the internal diameter too small, and something has to give, which will be the scope barrel. Plus it takes the other ring out of alignment with the shimmed ring, and will surely scar the scope.
    I've never seen anyone shim inside the ring, add shim stock UNDER the base. OP needs to shim the rear base
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, you should be shimming under the base, not inside the scope rings.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Grand Master

Not that well made but they really work well. None of the issues with shimming.

http://www.burrisoptics.com/sigrings.html

Posi-Align Offset Inserts

By utilizing ***-Align Offset Inserts in Signature Rings, you can virtually sight-in your gun without moving the scope adjustments. By keeping the internal optics centered, you'll see through the scope all of the clarity, sharpness, and brightness that the optics designers intended for you to see. The offset inserts also correct for any misalignment caused by receiver holes drilled off center, or the bases or rings being slightly off perfect center. And for you 1000-yard shooters, the need for expensive tapered bases or shimming becomes a hassle and expense of the past.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Not that well made but they really work well.

By utilizing ***-Align Offset Inserts in Signature Rings, you can virtually sight-in your gun without moving the scope adjustments. By keeping the internal optics centered, you'll see through the scope all of the clarity, sharpness, and brightness that the optics designers intended for you to see. The offset inserts also correct for any misalignment caused by receiver holes drilled off center, or the bases or rings being slightly off perfect center. And for you 1000-yard shooters, the need for expensive tapered bases or shimming becomes a hassle and expense of the past.

Yes they do look like an easy way to acomplish windage or elevation adjustment
    Charter Member #148

Banned
    You cannot in any way shape or form deny shimming the inside of a scope ring changes the inside diameter. It is done all the time, and scopes are damaged all the time. The proper way to fix the problem is to shim the proper base, then lap the rings. The Burris rings are the best thing since sliced bread. And, if you want more elevation, they sell inserts that have more offset.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Not that well made but they really work well. None of the issues with shimming.

Just make sure you lock 'em down with loc-Tite or something else if mounted on a medium to heavy recoiling rifle. They will shift otherwise. Had them on my M70 Classic Sporter 30-06 with a Zeiss 3x9 Conquest scope. The zero kept shifting (groups were still nice) and it drove me nuts until I questioned the mounts. Replaced them with standard Leupold base and rings, shimmed the rear of the base for max scope elevation adjustment and life has been good ever since. The more moving parts you have the greater the odds something will go wrong.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by B R Shooter View Post
    You cannot in any way shape or form deny shimming the inside of a scope ring changes the inside diameter. It is done all the time, and scopes are damaged all the time. The proper way to fix the problem is to shim the proper base, then lap the rings. The Burris rings are the best thing since sliced bread. And, if you want more elevation, they sell inserts that have more offset.
    I've never seen anyone try shimming the inside of a ring, ever the ones I know that are, shall I say challenged. I guess I hang around a smarter crowd.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master

Lots of great advice here. Thanks everyone. In my mind, I had already thought that something is wrong. I took another look at the Weaver bases that came on the rifle and I think the front base is incorrect; it may be a bit taller that another base that I compared it to. Need to check this out properly. Thanks again everyone.

Boolit Grand Master

Another thing to remeber is when setting a scope up with angled mounts to gain distance zeros is that it still zeros at the closest range you plan on shooting. With the scope on my one long range rifle it wont "zero" at 200 yds. It is around 6" high . But the 600 yd zero is close to centered and 1000 is only a little more above center of adjustment. Doing this and keeping scopes centered at ranges used gives the best view thru them and centered adjustments give fuller range of use. While most scopes are close to centered at 200yds a bottomed zero at 200 gives much more up adjustment and useable scope. To do this depends on rifle caliber and scope. 10 mins is a good starting point with most thopugh.