Thread: Savage 99 Fever

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    My Marlins are scoped.
    Boooooooooooo

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Boooooooooooo

Getting old sucks, leaving my Marlins in the safe would really bite. Back when I could see and use buckhorn sights I didn't appreciate them. Now that I appreciate them I have a hard time using them. OTOH with bolt-gun-like accuracy my Marlins take full advantage of a scope.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master

Buckhorns are for the really young. I've been putting apertures on any rifle that I hunt w/. Even though I can only use one at a time more rifles end up w/ apertures every year. My M77 Hawkeye in the only one to still wear a scope. And this is due to not being made for open sights. At 35 I already know what my future looks like and it doesn't make me happy

Boolit Grand Master

The Winchesters I shoot have peeps or they stay in the safe. I like a good scope but I enjoy shooting peeps and sometimes I go ahead and shoot buckhorns, some of the pre-war designs are actually somewhat useable by presbyopic eyes.

Did you see the rifle that Kevinakaq finally bought? That peep sight is simply awesome. I've read some were factory equipped with them but don't know is his is factory equipped or not. I wonder if Lyman still makes one like that?
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    I remember reading Jack O'Connor where he ranted against buckhorns for blocking out too much of the sight picture and impeding accurate snap shooting. I tend to agree with him. Although every single hunting rifle I own either has an aperture rear sight combined with quick-detachable Griffin&Howe scope mounts or simply just an aperture sight, several have auxiliary flip-down "open" barrel sights of the wide flat "vee" style which I find afford rapid target acquisition. Just one man's opinion, probably worth a warm bucket of spit!

Boolit Grand Master

I value your opinion, a discussion would be rather pointless if I didn't.
    I honestly hadn't considered O'Connor's point and it may be valid, I just don't see it that way. I'm trying to focus on the front sight and the only part of the target I need to see is where I'm aiming. I'm a pretty poor snap shooter and avoid those situations so that may explain why I feel the way I do. Aperture sights do indeed allow me to see more of the target but more importantly they allow me to see the front sight and target more clearly. OTOH the old full buckhorn sights give me a much better sight picture than the more modern or "semi" buckhorn sights. Shooting with open or peep sights is a skill I need to work on so my opinion is quite likely worth little to folks with more skill and better eyesight than me.
    I often don't like the look of scopes on some rifles but for my hunting rifles they increase the likelihood of a clean kill and enable me to carefully evaluate the animal before the shot. I would also be unlikely to be able to take advantage of the available accuracy of my Marlin and Savage rifles without a scope.

Speaking of scopes, I still need to figure out what kind of glass the "new kid" is going to wear. I've had some rotten luck with scopes lately.

Boolit Grand Master

This rifle has put me in a retro mood, I think a new Weaver K6 would look pretty classy on that rifle. Put rings & bases on it tonight and e-mailed Weaver asking for the tube length. The 4 and 6 power Weavers are a bit short but that's what I like about them. 38mm obj may be a bit big for low rings but I probably have some mediums.

Boolit Grand Master

Heard from Weaver today, tube is lug enough and K6 is on the way. I know a couple of old-school hunters who prefer the fixed 6X scopes. Wonder if I can find that old leather sling with the wide tooled section?

Boolit Master

This thread cost me $406. I got the itch for a 99 and bought one yesterday, a mid 50's version in 300 Savage. Thanks guys!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by seaboltm View Post
    This thread cost me $406. I got the itch for a 99 and bought one yesterday, a mid 50's version in 300 Savage. Thanks guys!
    Pics or it didn't happen

Boolit Master

I have a 99 in .243 with an old steel K-6 on it. I love it to pieces. Total tack driver.
    Ole Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Boolit Grand Master

Now I know who outbid me on GB. Nice rifle http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=429687156

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Now I know who outbid me on GB. Nice rifle http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=429687156
    Hello M-Tecs. Sorry I outbid you, but like I said, this thread made me do it!

Boolit Grand Master

Good thing I haven't been looking on Gunbroker lately
    That's a sweet price for a shooter. The tang cracks are what bother me. Stocks in good shape are getting harder to come by.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Good thing I haven't been looking on Gunbroker lately
    That's a sweet price for a shooter. The tang cracks are what bother me. Stocks in good shape are getting harder to come by.
    I do quite a bit of stock building and repair work. Tang cracks are not hard to fix and eliminate. I thought $406 was a decent price, and would have paid a tad more. Glad I didn't have to. I have thought about adding a custom stock to the rifle, since the tang is cracked and it has been drilled for sling swivels.

Boolit Grand Master

This one decided it needs to come home with me http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=428195573

I have quality replacement wood in hand. It may grow up to be a 358 someday - not sure about that. I may also cut the cartridge counting window.

Boolit Grand Master

I need one in 308 to round out my collection. Well I guess I need one in 250 Savage as well

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    This one decided it needs to come home with me http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=428195573

I have quality replacement wood in hand. It may grow up to be a 358 someday - not sure about that. I may also cut the cartridge counting window.
    Nice! Actually, I was watching that one too. But for some reason I really wanted a 300 Savage. I have a BLR in 308. Glad you got Savage fever medicated.

Boolit Grand Master

Nice! Actually, I was watching that one too. But for some reason I really wanted a 300 Savage. I have a BLR in 308. Glad you got Savage fever medicated.
    I didn't see this one until today. I wanted a 308 or 300 but the thought of turning it into a 358 stopped me from bidding more on the one you purchased. Worked out the best for both of us.

Boolit Grand Master

Glad I could help! I've been cruising the used gun racks for over a year thanks to these 99 threads. My Murray book came in the mail yesterday so life is good on my little spot on the prairie.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast