Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad Data
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Savage 99 Fever

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by seaboltm View Post
    Hello M-Tecs. Sorry I outbid you, but like I said, this thread made me do it!
    Nice rifle, congrats!
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    I didn't see this one until today. I wanted a 308 or 300 but the thought of turning it into a 358 stopped me from bidding more on the one you purchased. Worked out the best for both of us.
    I like the .358 idea, maybe next time.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master

Because of your "help" I now have another winter project that I do not need. I like stock work but I hate checkering. I swore I would never checker another stock but for this one I will make an exception. It has some drying checks but it still should be nice.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Because of your "help" I now have another winter project that I do not need. I like stock work but I hate checkering. I swore I would never checker another stock but for this one I will make an exception. It has some drying checks but it still should be nice.

Very nice indeed. Beautiful grain. More than once I've been a sucker for a nice piece of wood, never thought of getting the wood first. Glad it's working out for you, looking forward to watching this project come together.

Boolit Grand Master

Scope came in, got lost between the front door and my office. Guess it's sitting on someone's desk for the weekend instead of on my rifle. If it wasn't so hot I'd dig out another scope.
    Did sit down and get a good start on the Douglas Murray's "The Ninety-Nine". Murray did his homework and all but the most avid collector could learn something from this book. Old ad copy is a nice addition to the large amount of useful data about the rifle and all it's versions and revisions, finally making sense of all the things I've seen and heard.

Boolit Grand Master

Just bought that book. Can't wait for it to arrive so I can learn something

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Just bought that book. Can't wait for it to arrive so I can learn something
    Hope you enjoy the book! Your posts have been a good source of information and inspiration on this subject. I'll be interested in your feedback on this book. Based on my reading so far mine was built between 1957 and 1960 but based on my other research it's difficult to get an exact fix on the date of manufacture. It seems to me the factory did a large run of receivers from time to time, enough to last several years. Serial numbers only tell me which era the rifle was made, the jewelled bolt helps narrow the time frame a bit as it started in 1957 and this variation was built until 1960. This disagrees with the info I've seen about the letter on the lever boss so the need for more research is indicated.
    I wish my pictures did this old rifle justice. It truly is amazing to have a 50+ year old rifle in this condition.

Boolit Grand Master

Manufacturer dates are rough estimates at best. The fire destroyed their records and w/ them pulling parts off the shelf it's anyones guess as to when they came out of the factory. I've pieced together what I know from reading all the info I can find on the Internet and my grand father. I wish I would have asked him more before he passed. The first centerfire rifle I ever shot was his 99 in 300 Savage. It's been downhill ever since :beer:

Boolit Grand Master

There is indeed something special about the 300 Savage. I found it interesting that the 300 often had a longer barrel than other cartridges. Haven't run across the rationale for this but suspect it will give me a little insight into loading for this cartridge.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    Hope you enjoy the book! Your posts have been a good source of information and inspiration on this subject. I'll be interested in your feedback on this book. Based on my reading so far mine was built between 1957 and 1960 but based on my other research it's difficult to get an exact fix on the date of manufacture. It seems to me the factory did a large run of receivers from time to time, enough to last several years. Serial numbers only tell me which era the rifle was made, the jewelled bolt helps narrow the time frame a bit as it started in 1957 and this variation was built until 1960. This disagrees with the info I've seen about the letter on the lever boss so the need for more research is indicated.
    I wish my pictures did this old rifle justice. It truly is amazing to have a 50+ year old rifle in this condition.
    The records weren't lost in a fire. John T. Callahan has them. He's the "official" Savage historian and will look up your rifle for a small fee and send you a letter with all pertinent info. There's a sticky with his contact info on the Savage Collectors forum on the 24 Hr. Campfire website.

In a nutshell, the lever boss code is the last word for when a rifle was built in the late 40s through the 50s and 60s. If an earlier coded rifle has later features (such as a jewelled bolt) that just means it was doctored by somebody after the fact.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm convinced the dates of running changes are far from absolute, have read something to that effect in a few places and it's the only explanation that makes sense. Murray's book says the jewelled bolt started in 1957 but the lever boss date code suggests it was built in 1954, my shooting buddy's rifle was built in 1955 and the bolt on that rifle is jewelled as well. May be worth a letter to Mr Callahan.
    That's not terribly important, merely interesting. I'm not a collector, neither is this rifle. I'm a shooter, so's my new (old) rifle. Took her to the range today even though her new Weaver scope is MIA and I only had factory J-words to shoot. I dug out that R-word scope and it was just barely long enough to clear the rings so I mounted it and took it shooting. After sight-in it had no difficulty maintaining 3" @ 100 yds even though I was just plinking, barrel was hot and I was getting used to the trigger. That Hornady Superformance is pretty decent ammo, should have buckled down and shot a group just to see what it could do. Can't recall last time I fired factory made centerfire rifle rounds out of anything bigger than a mouse gun, may need to grab a pound of Superformance powder if that's what they're loaded with.

Glad you got to shoot your "new" rifle. I've never owned a savage lever, but have handled a few, and always liked the way they felt in the hand. It's been a long time since i've seen one on the gun racks for sale around here.

Boolit Grand Master

The ones I've seen have had a bit too much "character". I've always done better buying 95-98% guns and a Savage in that condition takes awhile to find. I'm going to go play in the loading room for awhile. Have a new set of dies and a comparator tool to play with.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by OverMax View Post
    If you intend to make 300 Sav from 308 Win brass as I often do. You'll probably need one of these (link)
    300 Savage chambers are kind of particular when it comes to its cartridge-ages head spacing.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/479...ProductFinding

Thanks, friend! I did a little reading and decided this would be a good addition to my bag of tricks even without planning on using .308 cases. The 99 pushed the shoulder on the factory rounds about .008 and I found out the adjustment was right on the money for a couple of other rifles I'm working on right now. With the price/availability of brass these days this tool will pay for itself in no time.
    I even wrote the comparator lengths for all three rifles inside the die box.

Got that new weaver mounted yet? I think your gonna really like that scope with that rifle. Should be a slick handling package.

Boolit Grand Master

Funny you should ask...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (7).jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	45.8 KB 
ID:	112180

Oops, can't make that target picture go away. Oh well. My usual crappy picture of a nice gun. Too late to try another pic, sorry.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photo (6).jpg  

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 35 shooter View Post
    Got that new weaver mounted yet? I think your gonna really like that scope with that rifle. Should be a slick handling package.
    I do like it so far. It's a Classic 6 power fixed so it will take some getting used to. Rifle seems a bit heavy for a levergun but this variation was built as a heavy hunting rifle.
    Cases are in the cleaner but not planning on shooting it for at least a month or two. I think it might make this winter's project list.

Looks great! You'll get used to it in no time. I used a set 6 power on my hunting rifles for most of my life. I got so used to it that even up close in heavy cover i could just shoulder the rifle and instantly be on target. Of course in my neck of the woods, a 4 power probably would have been a better choice for the closer shots, but the 6 power worked well at the range too so i just stuck with it.
    In fact that very scope is on a shelf in my closet now and if my "new fangled" variable scope gives any trouble, it's going right back on.

That rifle and scope really do look good together. It's making me have visions of one in .358 win., then again, that little .300 is a pretty cool cartridge.

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks, was sweating the clearance a little with those low rings but it worked out great. Maybe a nice 358 will follow one (or both) of us home some day. I seriously considered the K4 but figured the K6 would be more versatile. I really need to quit buying every nice rifle I see but some I just can't pass up; scope, dies & brass really adds to the tab on these new-to-me cartridges...hope I have a mould or two that will work.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    scope, dies & brass really adds to the tab on these new-to-me cartridges...hope I have a mould or two that will work.
    This is exactly why I started buying based on if I could make the cases from 308. The dies are never much money. But brass adds up quickly. Having a bunch of 30 and 35 cals makes mold selection easy as well. I've been looking for a 250 Savage and a 30-30 and a......you get the picture

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast