RepackboxSnyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionLoad DataReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oh Yeah! Bacon N 'Mater Sammich Time!

Vendor Sponsor

Oh Yeah! Bacon N 'Mater Sammich Time!

Oh it's that time of year when the big beefsteak tomatoes start coming in, that means ONE thing around this house, that's 'mater sammiches. Bacon N Tomato, BLT, plain 'maters with salt and pepper and Duke's mayo on white bread, there are several favorite varieties, but today's was extra special. Last year I could not eat these at all, had to do radiation and chemo all summer for tonsil cancer, this year, ALL BETTER!! You don't really know how to appreciate these until you can't have them...

Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Moderator Emeritus

I'm glad you are better....you only need to add some onion to that beauty!
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

That's a piece of heaven right there!! Mine are about a week away.....getting some cherry and plum tomatoes right now, the bigguns are coming ssssoooooooooon!!
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Moderator Emeritus

still 4-5 weeks away from ripe tomatoes for me

It's not unlike waiting for the birth of a child. I LOVE mater season!!!!
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Buddy
    Add a little Chipole to the mayo and spice it up a bit. But its great just like you have it. Good post.
    You know, there's an old saying, Miss Sally. There's no law west of the Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chism? James Pepper

Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there. John Simpson Chism

I have a bumpercrop of maters this year,but the chipmonks keep beating me to them. wife don't want to kill them and she is a bigger mater lover than myself. don't know what to do. somebody help me!!!

TTC
    NRA life member (benefactor)

Boolit Master
    LOVE that sammich! I add a bit o cayenne to mine, and I use the helman's canola mayo because I am allergic to soy, but a plain ol bacon an mater sammich is HARD to beat when the maters are garden fresh!

GoodOlBoy
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

Boolit Grand Master

I lost one tomato to the squirrels this year. I just feed them. As long as I stock the bird and squirrel feeders with food once a week , they leave the tomatoes alone. I have two squirrel feeders along with two bird feeders. I neglected to fill the feeders one week and they got desperate and ate a tomato.
    I thought the 5 cats we have would keep them away but them lazy bums let me down. Can't count on cats to do a good job of protecting the crops.
    Gary

Have you not learned - Cat's have staff, and don't work for a living.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

I certainly hope the chemo and radiation killed your cancer and wish you the best of health. All the more reason to eat as much bacon as your heart desires.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Boolit Master
    As a change of pace, I used to make what I called TNT sandwiches. Tuna 'n Tomato sandwiches. They are pretty good, but a good BLT would trump them.

Vendor Sponsor

Mmmmm Sriracha and Duke's mayo?? Methinks there is an interesting twist to today's sammy! Tks gunshot98 for the idear!
    Last edited by DougGuy; 07-15-2014 at 01:39 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    Well here in NEPA the season for me is still 3-4 weeks behind. I'm still picking March planted Broccoli.... if that tells a tale!!! Got lots of Greenies on my tomato plants but still weeks away from a Mater sammich! or Mater anythin'. I started harvesting some beans this week but only have 3 plants yielding plants thanks to baby "Chucks learnin the secret to how to get into my garden sanctuary! It has been 3 years now since the last incursion. The DNA is changing in these critters & I did catch the smart one "holder of the Key " and went Gestapo on him a few weeks ago ...His buddies were luckier and I live trapped 4 of them and sent them up on top of our mountain. It isn't unusual for me to trap 20 chucks in 4 acres of suburban territory each year. Some how 5 or so don't make the trappin but don't cause any problems either!!!
    All is well and good until my wife starts to namin them!!! Then I know I'm in trouble
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Moderator Emeritus

Chucks are good eating...

Boolit Master
    Home grown tomatoes are the food of Gods.We had some today with Pastrami on thick white bread and Butter.Simple and nice.The whole taste compared with Supermarket Toms is a culinary delight.Ahem sorry I am waxing lyrical.Her indoors says I always brag when my Toms start to ripen.

Boolit Master

That is a beautiful thing, having one this evening, with Dukes of course.

Boolit Master

I guess I'll have to eat a sammich or two this evening as well. Been getting a bunch of tomatoes the last couple of weeks. Gave away 25lbs or so this morning to a lady making salsa.

But I still have some nice ripe ones on the kitchen window sill ready to eat.

You ever go overboard on planting and end up giving away most of the produce from the garden? At least the neighbors, friends and local senior center benefit well.

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140721_202058142.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	67.6 KB 
ID:	111352 I think i can make enough samichs for all of us. And thats just half of them. we canned the other half last night. Bring on the BACON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    You know, there's an old saying, Miss Sally. There's no law west of the Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chism? James Pepper

Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there. John Simpson Chism

Boolit Buddy

Good god man I wont have `maters like that for a month yet. Did have some fried greens last night though. Enjoy them red ones my day is coming. Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast