Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Load DataRepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: Inexpensive yet portable shooting bench

Moderator Emeritus

Inexpensive yet portable shooting bench

I dont know if this has been posted but I built a inexpensive yet portable shooting bench Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shooting Bench 122.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	110.6 KB 
ID:	110460Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shooting Bench 127.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	105.9 KB 
ID:	110461from things that I had around the house and way toooo much time on my hands.

Materials:

1. Black and Decker Shop Mate
    2. 39" x 18" x 1-1/4" subflooring plywood
    3. 2" x 2" x 24" scrap piece of pine
    4. 6 - 10 2-1/2" deck screws
    5. scrap pine to face with
    6. glue, nailgun, sandpaper, stain, and polyurethane
    7. one, two or so plastic chairs

I took the scrap piece of subflooring and cut a shallow curve on one of the 18" end.
    Next I found the center line of the plywood and glued and screwed the 24" piece of 2" x 2" to it.
    Next I faced the plywood with scrap pine cut to size and glued and then nailgunned to the plywood on 3 of the 4 sides.
    Then I sanded, stained and finally put 3 coats of polyurtehane.

The end product is a very stable and effective yet portable shooting bench

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shooting Bench 122.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	110.6 KB 
ID:	110460

Just remember that rifle and 22 LR ammo is optional!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shooting Bench 127.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	105.9 KB 
ID:	110461
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Buddy

That is a really nice portable bench you built there. I think that might give me some inspiration to build one of my own. Thanks very much for posting it.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I use my "industrial strength" surveyor's orange transit tripod with a 5/8" thick plastic table on top for my shooting sled. Folds up easily, completely hight adjustable for sitting or standing....pistole or rifles.

The Workmate approach is a good idea! Multi-purpose is the name of the game!

good work!

banger

South of the Equator and North of Capricorn
    I built mine using a Triton super jaws work stand '
    The top is a piece of solid core door , has a couple of pieces of 2 x 3 under it ,one clamps in the jaws of the vice .
    It's reasonably heavy but very stable breaks down in a minute . I built a portable target frame with two gongs as
    well to complete the setup.

Name:	DSCF2483.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	134.5 KB 
ID:	110503

Name:	DSCF2479.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	105.3 KB 
ID:	110504
    Last edited by BigEyeBob; 07-13-2014 at 06:16 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    There are many ways to tackle the concept of a portable shooting bench. Depending on the availability of materials and your skill level, you may be able to build yourself a nice portable shooting bench that would last and meet your shooting needs for many years to come.

My friend Bryan was interested in a portable shooting bench. He is a south - paw, but his son is right handed.

He asked " Can we build a portable bench that a right hand AND left hand shooter could use ? "

My answer was " YES " ! !

So we went to work. Notice that the shooting bench has 3 legs and sits steady with no wobble even on uneven ground.

The legs fold and retract , making for easy storage. Before you ask for plans, there are none....We just started measuring and cutting and making the bench to fit his own individual needs for height, etc.

However, if you'd like to make one and have some rudimentary wood working skills, you can look at the photos and easily copy it and make it to suit your own individual needs. The bench is made of pressure treated 2 X 4's and 5/8 " thick decking. Attaching screws for the 29 " long legs are 3/8 " dia. X 4 " long bolts with washers and wing nuts at all points. Plated deck screws were used exclusively to put everything together with. If you'd like to add a little " over - kill " , you could also add some construction adhesive. That would make it " gorilla proof ".

Notice that when you sit at the bench and slide your knees under the bench, they don't hit any of the legs.

Thanks for looking,

Ben

Here are some photos of Bryan and his portable shooting bench :

Here is my friend Brian and his new portable shooting bench :

Last edited by Ben; 07-13-2014 at 02:10 PM.

an old folding ironing board works well too.

TTC
    NRA life member (benefactor)

Moderator Emeritus

That is one thing that I love about this Cast Boolits Family....there are a lot of talented members who dont mind sharing......
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    My friend uses an old round folding patio table. I got 'sea sick" from the thing moving around so much when I shot using it! OMG!

Certain items are better left to their intended task!!!!!!

HA.............ha!

banger