Snyders JerkyLoad DataWidenersReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wyoming Antelope Tags

Boolit Buddy

Wyoming Antelope Tags

I checked online it appears I got drawn. Does anyone know when they mail them out?

Thanks,

Boolit Master
    I just got my elk tags in the mail yesterday....so they are sending them out now...haven't gotten my antelope tag yet though....what area did you draw?
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks Doug - I am headed just outside of Douglas in Zone 26. I guess we should see the tags in a couple of weeks.

Dave

Boolit Master
    I have heard its good hunting up there.....I'm in the opposite corner of the state or I would offer up a place to stay and some help with scouting.

If you haven't antelope hunting before make sure you look at a lot of animals before you shoot one.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Banned

definitely look several of them over and even look at pics online.
    they can be deceiving in horn size because of the splits, and the angles the horns will take from the head, judging length can be difficult.
    what appears to be fairly large in the field can in reality be a 14" buck on the ground if viewed from one direction only.

Boolit Master
    Last year my buddy and I looked at probably 200 different bucks before we saw one that was enough different to load the rifle. 14-14 1/2" is pretty common but the one he ended up shooting measured 15 1/2" and it was noticeable in the field....than again another buddy shot a 13 1/2" buck that looked like he was 16" it did have 8" bases and a 17" wide spread though.
    Doug

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Master
    I'm in 23 not too far over. Not much public land there

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks Lads. Doug thanks for the offer my friend. The same does for Northern Ontario.

I went about 5 years ago to Douglas with my young lad. It was a blast. The people around Douglas are some of the best folk I have ever met. Taking the Wife with me this time and an old buddy that we have been friends and hunting together for also 40 years now. Hell we were in Boy Scout when we met - lol. We are meeting a few other couples down there. The guys are going hunting and the gals are going to try an find some quilting and sewing shops. Should be a blast.

As for antelope size I do remember someone telling me you want the fork to be longer that the tip of the ear and that is a good buck. Is that correct? Last time my Son got a decent buck (very wide) and I shot a dinker buck. My Son was real proud that he beat Dad - and so was I.......

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Muskyhunter1 View Post
    As for antelope size I do remember someone telling me you want the fork to be longer that the tip of the ear and that is a good buck. Is that correct? Last time my Son got a decent buck (very wide) and I shot a dinker buck. My Son was real proud that he beat Dad - and so was I.......
    For a general rule of thumb keep that one foremost. Forks can be many different places along the horn but this should be your starting point for a mounting buck.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    My tag showed up today.
    Doug

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Master
    We are scouting 23 in a couple weeks. It's just north of yours I'll report in. Do you have a place your going?

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks Doug I should see mine over the next couple of days. NVScouter I have access to a Ranch that I have hunted in the past down there. A friend of a friend type arrangement. The Ranchers has always been good to us and we make it worth his while.

Boolit Master
    Thats the way to do it! That corner has lots of tags and little access.
    Quote Originally Posted by Muskyhunter1 View Post
    Thanks Doug I should see mine over the next couple of days. NVScouter I have access to a Ranch that I have hunted in the past down there. A friend of a friend type arrangement. The Ranchers has always been good to us and we make it worth his while.

Boolit Buddy
    Got my tags yesterday - now I am cranked. I now have another reason to go to the range and do so trophy buck research.

Banned

i have been hanging out between douglas and gillete and casper the last couple of weeks, if what i have been seeing recently is any indication of your area you'll be seeing some decent bucks and the herds are in good to excellent shape in this area.

the rains have been keeping the grass green and and many areas are holding good water.
    hunting over a particular water hole may pay off or not as there are quite a few areas holding good water.
    i have seen antelope ranging from the open grass areas to a few hanging out near water holes, antelope up in the trees, and have even seen herds having deer mixed in with them.
    the temps have been in the 90's the last few day's but a little cooler weather is coming up.
    some bucks are starting to hold with the does a bit here and there but the bigger ones are still holding off right now.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks Runfiverun,

Got to get to the range and get my rifles shooting now. I am taking some odd ones with me this year. First is a Ruger No 1 International in 270 win that was given to me as a gift from a good friend, who is also hunting with me. Second is a M96 in 6.5x55 Swed and last but not least for Prairie Dogs, my TC encore Pro Hunter in 223 Win.

Unfortunately no cast boolites on this trip - sorry. My next cast boolite hunt will likely me a muzzle loader hunt for whitetail.

Banned

no issues with the boolits thing.
    it's open country where you are going and you could easily see a 300+ yd shot..
    take what you are comfortable with and be prepared to reach out there if necessary.
    I watched two quite big bucks lay at the base of some exposed rocks on the side of a rock bluff the other morning they just stayed there until it warmed up.
    I thought originally they were a couple of deer because of their location.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks Runfiverun, I am cranked big time. All my licences and permits done. Motel and holidays booked. Went to range yesterday and all my rifles are bang on. We leave in about 5 weeks. Will keep you posted.

Boolit Mold
    We have a group of six of us from Utah that have drawn out for WY antelope three times over the years. The first time we went there was no problem finding antelope & it was fun but some of the locals were hanging around and at the sound of us shooting they drove in to us & told us we were on their land & demanded $100 trespass fees. The map said the land was public so we did't pay & they left mad. Whatever. We then found the LaBarge area & drew out there twice & loved it. No private land to get hassled & there are checkerboard type 50mph dirt roads the oil companies have built. It's amazing how you can be doing 50 mph & swear the landscape is flat & then bam-there's a herd of antelope that pops into view. Best buck we've gotten from there is 17-1/4". Tons of fun. Enjoy!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Popgunner View Post
    We have a group of six of us from Utah that have drawn out for WY antelope three times over the years. The first time we went there was no problem finding antelope & it was fun but some of the locals were hanging around and at the sound of us shooting they drove in to us & told us we were on their land & demanded $100 trespass fees. The map said the land was public so we did't pay & they left mad. Whatever. We then found the LaBarge area & drew out there twice & loved it. No private land to get hassled & there are checkerboard type 50mph dirt roads the oil companies have built. It's amazing how you can be doing 50 mph & swear the landscape is flat & then bam-there's a herd of antelope that pops into view. Best buck we've gotten from there is 17-1/4". Tons of fun. Enjoy!
    That stupid stuff does happen a bit. Happened to me elk hunting in the bighorns. The map said we were good so we told the guy where to stick it and kept hunting. Later found out the maps aren't all right, and there are some unmarked easements and such. So be careful with that, the game wardens mean business up there! IMO trespass fees shouldn't apply if their boundaries are unmarked.

Ive always drove in and bought my antelope tags over the counter (wal-mart). Last time I was antelope hunting I think you could get 6 does at $30 a piece or thereabouts and 2 bucks at around $300 IIRC. And it was in the same area as R5R is talking about. If you do buy OTC though make sure they get your area correct. My little cousins tag had the area number transposed, nobody noticed but the game warden. Luckily he was a reasonable guy, and the other 8 or 9 of us all had the same area so it was an obvious mistake on the salesmans part. But the warden said he could have taken my cousin to jail over it. So double check.

Man Im jealous! I was thinking about antelope hunting yesterday and tried to get some guys together to go. But its not gonna happen I guess... Maybe next year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast