RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision
RepackboxWidenersTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cleaning black powder fire arms!

FWIW, in 1985 I bought a (then) new T/C .45 Cherokee.

The first thing I did with it was heat the bbl a bit in my household oven, then treat the bore with BoreButter (I know, I know - save it).

Every year, from then to last, I always fired it to check zero before the start of my state's muzzleloading deer season, then fired it again (almost every year) at a deer.

After EVERY day's use (if the rifle was fired), I would flush out the bore/patent breech/nipple with MooseMilk (T/C #13 Bore Cleaner) and a few patches on the ramrod; followed by several dry patches (until the dry patches came out a light gray).

One pass of a BoreButtered patch after the cleaning, and the Cherokee was good to go.

After 29 years and zero rust/corrosion, with the rifle retaining the same accuracy as when it was new, I think it's good enough for me.

K.I.S.S. - if it ain't broke, I don't "fix" it (my cleaning method).

If YMMV, good - after all, they're your guns.

Last edited by pietro; 07-21-2014 at 04:59 PM.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Fly ... take off the nitrile gloves before you open the French Doors! Most folks take off their muddy boots before they go into the house also!
    End of Thread - End of Being Yelled At
    Regards
    John

Perm-Banned
    pietro, cant get any better than that, if you ever want to sell that pristine gun, let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post

Fly ... take off the nitrile gloves before you open the French Doors! Most folks take off their muddy boots before they go into the house also!

? ? ? ? ? ?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    Who knows???? I must have pissed him off in the past.Sorry if I hurt your feeling.

Fly

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    As a range cleaning wiping soulution I have been using windex with vinegar or windex multi surface cleaner. You havent got hammered by your wife until you get caught running the ruger old armies through the dishwasher LOL

yep kinda what I was thinking Humm never know it might just work
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Fly View Post
    Who knows???? I must have pissed him off in the past.Sorry if I hurt your feeling.

Fly
    I think that John was saying that if you use nitrile gloves you wouldn't mess up the door and the wife would stop yelling at you.

I use 2 easy to make products to clean & protect my ML's. the cleaner is 1 part oil soap, 1 part NAPA water soluble cutting oil & 8 parts water. It cleans good & works as a patch lub. on the range't. For rust protection & a patch lub. for hunting I mix bee's wax & olive oil 50/50 to start & add more oil as needed. It works like Bore Butter but it's cheaper & doesn't smell.
    The 3 people a man must be able to trust completely are his gunsmith his doctor & his preacher ..,his gunsmith for his short term health ,his doctor for long term health ,and his preacher incase one of the others mess up.

I boil up a pot full of water in my cast iron pot, add Dawn Soap ( because they save oily ducks, otters and pelicans : ) let it cool a bit then put the barrel in it and run a waded jag through it a buncha' times, then turn the barrel upside down, let it drain and dry. Usually bone dry in minutes cuz of the heat. Then run a patch of bore butter down it.
    I'll try some Windex next time to see what else comes out.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I have been using Windex to clean my ML revolvers since 1990. 'Great stuff.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndAmendmentNut View Post
    Maybe it's just me, or the particularly dry area I live in. When I am done at the range I spray the bore with a coat of Ballistol. Once home just plain old hot water and the bore is clean. After the bore is clean I swab it with a patch lubed with a natural grease such as pork fat.
    Don't have the Ballistol. So I just do the same thing. Hot water with a little bit of soap.

Boolit Master
    I have tried the Windex, and have not been happy with it. I am of the hot water and Dawn method, and real grease afterwords. them guns have been laying around for over 150 years, and still show up in good condition, and that is all they had. (soap I mean, I know they did not have Dawn)
    The rules of the range are simple at best, Should you venture in that habitat, Don't cuss a man's dog, be good to the cook, And don't mess with a cowboy's hat. ~ Baxter Black

Boolit Master
    Doc when I started the tread I said housewhole ammonia.But windex "WITH" ammonia is better than just plain windex.
    All I,m saying guys is try it if you have not.I still hot soap & water, but I think you will find you did not get it all if
    you follow up with housewhole ammonia.

Fly

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12