Snyders JerkyLoad DataLee PrecisionRepackbox
WidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning black powder fire arms!

Boolit Master

Cleaning black powder fire arms!

This tread will be long but It's fun any way.Yes I have used hot soap & water for YEARS.
    But I noticed after cleaning my guns on my back deck, our French doors where turning
    black from my hands.

Welp my wife came down on me AGAIN.I tried everything in effert to clean them.What
    I found to remove it BEST from the doors was housewhole ammonia.That got me to thinking?What the heck
    so I tried it on a clean swab in a gun I just cleaned with soap & water.WOW you could
    not beleave what I missed.

Let the replieys begin, for this topic will never stop.But I,m saying this.JUST try it.

Fly

So you added ammonia to your soap and water routine?
    "He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God." - John 3:18

Boolit Grand Master

As a range cleaning wiping soulution I have been using windex with vinegar or windex multi surface cleaner. You havent got hammered by your wife until you get caught running the ruger old armies through the dishwasher LOL

Boolit Master

Ammonia works great, but don't let it be the last thing you use. It will promote rust.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Buddy

Equal parts rubbing alcohol, 3% hydrogen peroxide, and Murphys oil soap. 1 wet patch, followed by 2 or 3 dry patches.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy".
    Ben Franklin

Boolit Master

sure, any rust getter will work. Vinegar will do it to. So will hydrochloric acid. But if you let it drip on your finish, there goes your browning....

There is such a thing as too clean.

I've never used ammonia but, have used a bunch of rubbing alcohol(90% or higher). Of course I've used a lot of soap and scalding hot water over the years too. I've been meaning to try Murphy's oil soap.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    As a range cleaning wiping soulution I have been using windex with vinegar or windex multi surface cleaner. You havent got hammered by your wife until you get caught running the ruger old armies through the dishwasher LOL

Soap and water for me until today....Thanks country gent!!

Boolit Master
    I can tell you this.I scrubed those doors with everything we had, even simple green I thought
    well I,m going to paint it.Then I found the house whole ammonia as the last resort.That black
    powder grud just melted & started running down the door.It's amazing.

I just say try it, for your self.It really does work.
    Fly

So try it on our doors or sixguns?

Does it speed up the cleaning process of your sixguns while you still clean them with soap and water?
    "He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God." - John 3:18

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zymurgy50 View Post
    Equal parts rubbing alcohol, 3% hydrogen peroxide, and Murphys oil soap. 1 wet patch, followed by 2 or 3 dry patches.
    I posted a picture some time ago of a barrel section I put hydrogen peroxide on, and left to it's own devices. Excellent browning solution, for inside or out.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Household ammonia (5-10%) is an excellent solute for various salts.

Banned

I have used windex with ammonia to good effect. You need to remove any traces of that with water followed by dry patches and then apply a good rust preventative to finish off.

Boolit Master

Cleaning black powder fire arms!

Maybe it's just me, or the particularly dry area I live in. When I am done at the range I spray the bore with a coat of Ballistol. Once home just plain old hot water and the bore is clean. After the bore is clean I swab it with a patch lubed with a natural grease such as pork fat.
    "I don't want men who miss." -Capt. Leander H. McNelly

Boolit Buddy
    Using it for years and years

I clean with ordinary cold tap water. Here in Eastern Virginia it is quite humid too, and I've never had the slightest problem with rust in my bores. I am very particular about making certain the bore is completely dry and coating the bore with a good rust preventative.

Boolit Master

I use Mr Muscle Kitchen,it cleans Black powder guns like Billy ho.

Boolit Bub
    Thorough cleaning with Ed's Red followed up hot soapy water and then a final oiling.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I posted a picture some time ago of a barrel section I put hydrogen peroxide on, and left to it's own devices. Excellent browning solution, for inside or out.
    Yep you left it to it's own. You have to use a water displacing oil and then a protectant like RIG then it won't brown rust or eat the metal.

Boolit Master
    I take easily de-mountable barrels (shotgun, musket, etc.) along with a cleaning rod and a fistfull of patches into the hot shower with me. Kills two birds with one stone.

Rifles that are a PIA to remove their barrels, I use the alcohol/oil soap/peroxide solution followed by thoroughly oiling. 20+ years of that I never got a trace of rust.
    Last edited by gnoahhh; 07-21-2014 at 10:35 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast