Load DataRotoMetals2Inline FabricationWideners
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackboxLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jacketed And Cast Bullet Loads Are Not The Same, Part 1

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndAmendmentNut View Post

That being said I agree with the OP's point that you can't simply interchange components and expect all to go well.
    Amen to that 2ndAmendmentNut.

I'll stick my neck out....

Stay within the published reloading manuals' recommended charges.
    Uber7mm

Bambi: The great American hunting story as told through the eyes of the antagonist.

Boolit Master
    Like many have said I have no dog in this hunt.

The ONLY thing I would like to respond to is the statement
    ...because cast can't be shot over 1200fps because the lead will strip as it goes past it's tensile strength because...
    Uhm that depends on the lead. Very hard cast lead can be pushed to higher velocities than very soft cast lead. IE Hardball vs Pure. Linotype vs 40-1 etc. I have pushed very hard cast lead WELL beyond 1200fps and had accurate rounds and zero leading from it. Heck if that didn't work companies like Oregon Trail would be out of business.

That being said always follow published data for your firearm and components, loads safe in my firearms may not be safe in yours, and always remember to courtesy flush for those of us in the next stall.

Thanks

GoodOlBoy
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Well, I've shot water dropped wheel weight boolits at over 2600 fps for groups of 1 5/8". You just have to work at it a bit.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Banned

his gun broke....
    the lead boolits had nothing to do with it.
    I use the same load in my 30 carbine whether it's copper coated lead or the regular kind, maybe I just got a better gun.
    jebus...

Boolit Bub
    this is about to get really good
    What is happiness "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women!"
    Conan the Barbarian

Boolit Master

Jacketed And Cast Bullet Loads Are Not The Same, Part 1

My go to 357 load is a 158gr plain based, air cooled, WW alloy out of a 6" revolver that chronographs at 1400fps. I haven't chronographed the same load out of my 22" carbine, but I bet those suckers are really moving. No leading either.
    Last edited by 2ndAmendmentNut; 07-14-2014 at 02:11 PM.
    "I don't want men who miss." -Capt. Leander H. McNelly

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PAT303 View Post
    Stuff the lot of you then,you can't load cast as high as jacketed because the lead slugs into the throat at ignition raising pressures to a dangerous level before dropping because cast can't be shot over 1200fps because the lead will strip as it goes past it's tensile strength because the PSI at the base is spread evenly even into the chamber walls which grips the case raising pressure more because of obturation of the loaded round.Man I need to lay down. Pat
    But can you shoot a gas checked boolit without a gas check?
    "I don't want men who miss." -Capt. Leander H. McNelly

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndAmendmentNut View Post
    But can you shoot a gas checked boolit without a gas check?
    Of course you can. With accuracy? I'll bet all the extra resistance deforms the boolit, and the higher pressure really messes with the RPM theory.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    Why is everyone forgetting to use purple text!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Banned

little girl moved and took everything purple in the house with her..

Boolit Master
    I have never had a problem shooting GC mold bullets without the GCs in a 30-30 winchester. Dunno why there would be an issue if the base of the bullet is clean flat and sharp.

GoodOlBoy
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

Boolit Master

This is fun! When I looked at the pics, and read the text, I thought 'HUH?' with furrowed brow. It didn't make sense to me. Then I read Larry Gibson's post, and then it made sense. Since that is the most common failure point, then the use of lead boolits is mostly coincidental. I could have happened at any time with any type of ammo, except that this time he was using a lead boolit. Makes sense to me. But, then, I don't know a lot...............mikey

Do you suppose maybe the owner, of the M1, didn't realize he needed to lube those lead boolits? If he didn't then it just might come to real leading in the barrel.
    CD
    When you find you are in deep trouble, look straight ahead,keep your mouth shut, and say nothing.

A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards

Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by PAT303 View Post
    Stuff the lot of you then,you can't load cast as high as jacketed because the lead slugs into the throat at ignition raising pressures to a dangerous level before dropping because cast can't be shot over 1200fps because the lead will strip as it goes past it's tensile strength because the PSI at the base is spread evenly even into the chamber walls which grips the case raising pressure more because of obturation of the loaded round.Man I need to lay down. Pat

"Stuff the lot of you...." That makes me feel kind of dirty somehow......

I think I'll go take a shower. I think I'll have another shot of bourbon first....or maybe two. Maybe that will help erase that mental image.

And one more thing....I recently shot one of my cast boolits at 1202.65 fps without stripping.....even though it was very hot at the range, I managed to keep all my clothes on!

Jerry
    Buzzard's luck!! Can't kill nothin', nothin'll die!!

Boolit Grand Master

I'll tell ya'll what, after that LSN 1903 thread I'm just scared silly now. Note all the cases mentioned of M1 Carbine bolts "bursting". What if you were next to the guy and that happened? By golly there goes and eye or if ya get it in the temple....hello St. Peter......

I gonna hang my M1 Carbines on the wall and recommend every one else do the same. They are just to dangerous to shoot. Obviously a poor design and improperly heat treated. How do we know all the "bad ones" have already broken? We don't so no sense taking a chance......

After all........Please, Larry, for the sake of all mankind....

So hang up them M1 Carbines boys.........

Larry Gibson

Banned

I think I want to make a nice display wall of those gonna break soon rifles.
    please send them all to p.o. box 354 and I may re-imburse shipping,,, if they look nice.
    I have a large wall available so don't be shy..

Quote Originally Posted by GoodOlBoy View Post
    The ONLY thing I would like to respond to is the statement

Uhm that depends on the lead. Very hard cast lead can be pushed to higher velocities than very soft cast lead. IE Hardball vs Pure. Linotype vs 40-1 etc. I have pushed very hard cast lead WELL beyond 1200fps and had accurate rounds and zero leading from it. Heck if that didn't work companies like Oregon Trail would be out of business.

GoodOlBoy
    If you have another look at PAT303's post I think you will find it was typed using the Castboolits chain-pulling font PAT303 was just having a joke - us Australians may be upside down but we're not stupid.
    ars longa, vita brevis

Boolit Master
    DOH sorry I missed the icon in the post! Now I feel like the ignoramus ! I know aussies ain't stupid. My first dive instructor was an aussie and a brilliant guy.

GoodOlBoy

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.
    I also fall on the side of the fence that an equal weight cast bullet with proper lube and of normal design will create less drag and pressure than it's jacketed counterpart. Try pushing a jacketed bullet through a push through sizer and a cast one. Which is easier?

I suspect that either the metal had an occlusion that let go coincidentally, or he was getting leading that raised the pressures significantly. I shoot that load in my M1 all the time; but some random box of gun show boolits with unknown lube and possibly no gas check would be a likely culprit.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast