Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingWidenersLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Redhawk vs Super Blackhawk

Boolit Master
    Another 5.5 RH fan. I've owned a half dosen SBHs over the years .... and just one Redhawk. Did'nt dislike the BHs just did'nt like them well enough to turn own a profit Now the Redhawk was one I really didn't want, bought it from a friend I worked with in 1984 for 200$. Supposed to be for trade material. Ran a coffey can of misc sillewet loads thru it to reclaim the brass and was hooked! Only 44mag pistol I've owned since then. The SW 69 does appeal but the RedHawk stays. Whole bunch of really tough accurate gun that still fits in a holster. It sure is sweeter to shoot than that first gen TC with the octagon bbl in 44, good grief that thing was unpleasant to shoot!

Boolit Master
    I too have a small stable of .44s . A SRH , and 3-4 Blkhwks . I 'm not good enough to tell the difference in which model is most accurate . The SRH IS alot heaver and I can shoot heavy loads all day (rubber grips. and heavy ) . The SHR is too heavy to carry all day in a hip holster . BLKHWKS are easier to tote on your belt ,but kick a little more . Both guns are winners .

Got the Redhawk. It is a 7.5" blue model and it flat out shoots. Dimensions are good. I think it will be happier with the barrel bobbed to 5" with a different front sight. DA pull is very smooth. I am happy.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Banned

if you ever hurt a RH, you are an absolute nut case. I don't like the spring set up or the grips with my hands but we did get to 1/2" at 50 meters. A little metal work on the sear surfaces worked wonders. I would not lesson hammer fall.
    Damned good gun.

Boolit Master
    Got the Redhawk. It is a 7.5" blue model and it flat out shoots. Dimensions are good. I think it will be happier with the barrel bobbed to 5" with a different front sight. DA pull is very smooth. I am happy.
    I have one in a 41, & 44mag, and one in a 45 Colt. All of them are of the 7.5" SS models. I have run the 41 and 44 through literally thousands of top end loads. Like 44 Man pointed out they are tough guns and WILL hold up to most all of the book listed loads pretty easily. Your holding up to them might be the weaker link.

You didn't mention what caliber you got it in?

I have looked VERY hard at picking up the 357 to finish up the set, but I simply can't bring myself to spend the money on what they want for them. I lucked out when I got the 45 Colt a couple of years ago for only $650. It was still greasy and wrapped in the plastic bag, in the original box, and if it had been fired it could not be seen even using a bore scope. Now if I could get a deal on the 357 like that I would be all over it.
    Later,
    Mike / TX

It is a .44. I already have a place in line with the gunsmith to get the barrel cot to 5". I need to figure out what front sight to put on but I have a month to think about it. This one is a keeper.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master

You need both! I have been through many Blackhawks, Super Blackhawks and one Super Redhawk. All fantastic guns. Didn't dislike any of them and never had a problem with one.

Picked up a Redhawk 5.5" SS in 45 Colt and it's the sh@t. I may have finally found (my) perfect pistol. Shoots mild to wild. Balances great. Looks great. Fits my grip. Nice double-action. Real nice single-action. Deadly accurate at 25 yds (first time shooting it today). I'm loving it. I have been looking for a 357 Redhawk for a couple of years now. Not sure why as my Dan Wesson is an incredible shooter but I've always wanted the 'Strongest 357 in the World'. Funny thing is now that I can afford one, my desire to shoot the rafter-rattling loads has diminished

Years ago, I bought a 7.5" SS Red...and already had a 7.5" blue SBH, both in 44.

I had the Red magna-ported and worked the trigger.

Outfit by the name BOWEN does custom work...he claims that the RED has an issue with a short firing pin and something else... and has a "fix" for that. Says it will eventually 'misfire'...saw my first one today at the range... light dimple in the primer... very early blue Redhawk... FTF on a primer. I've shot a LOT of rounds thru my Red and never had a FTF or light strike on a primer.

Other than that... my Red, with a 2x Burris on it shoot tiny groups with 22.5 gr. of 4227 or 22.5 of H110 pushing a 250 gr. GC or varied 240 J-word types... into small clusters...

I always thought the Super Red looked, well..."uncircumcised"...and rather unattractive...

I had the 7.5" SBH cut down to 5 5/8" "Bat Masterson special" length years, and years ago... now, as age come on, iron sights give me fits... so perhaps one day the SBH will have to find a new home w/ younger eyes!

Accuracy was excellent from both "in the day".

Good shooting!!!

Boolit Master
    I have a .44 mag 7.5" Redhawk. I will get ftf due to light primer strikes when SLOWLY firing in double action. I'm talking about rolling the cylinder with the trigger to just before the hammer will fall and holding it until the sights line up as wanted then with as light as pressure as it will take, squeeze and the hammer will fall and not fire the cartridge. I have read about the short firing pin situation, but this revolver is close to 30 yrs old, so I picked up a new spring from Ruger (when I also ordered everything to replace the guts in my MKII Govt Target pistol) but haven't got around to installing the new spring or seeing if it fixes the slow fire light strike problem I've been getting.
    Now, in single action or faster double action operation I have been unable to get any light strikes. My Speed/Service Six's and my GP's have never had the slow fire light strike
    Last edited by tja6435; 07-30-2014 at 08:23 PM.

Interesting tja...

Given my set ups are totally dedicated to hunting (varmint to deer) I never tried that double action deal...I know S&W shooters claim their guns do that magnificently!

I trust the Bowen shop to know what they're talking about... they've a great reputation. Mr. Bowen went so far in an email to say something to the effect that he won't let a Redhawk out of the shop w/out working the trigger, and replacing the firing pin with the longer version... fwiw.

I didn't know Ruger sold ANY gun parts individually? My Gunsmith, when I was smoothing my trigger, warned in very direct tone, not to screw it up cause he can't order parts, the gun goes back and all my parts, would come back stock!

Interesting that you could get any part... The short pin part was also tied to the transfer bar in some way that was beyond my scope of understanding. It's on the Bowen site.

Boolit Master
    Go check out Ruger.com or shopruger.com. All sorts of parts. I bought an ambi safety for the sr1911 from them as well as springs for my gp's and MKII. Got a set of new old stock oversized walnut target grips for my Security Six for $10 last winter

Thanks, TJa,

Maybe he was talking specifically about TRIGGER parts...ever since that woman climbed on her drunk hubby's chest with a 44 BH and slapped him awake and the gun went off, their triggers have been hell-for-stout and they're rather persnickety about parts on triggers!

Quote Originally Posted by tja6435 View Post
    Go check out Ruger.com or shopruger.com. All sorts of parts. I bought an ambi safety for the sr1911 from them as well as springs for my gp's and MKII. Got a set of new old stock oversized walnut target grips for my Security Six for $10 last winter

Vendor Sponsor

thumbcocker let the smith put you an 11° forcing cone on the barrel when he gets it, they work great for cast and ESPECIALLY good for the 310 Lee boolits.

Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Listen to ole Doug...A) he does super work on throats and I see he's expanding into other type work... and B) he knows his chit!

I was concerned about a Redhawk shooting as well as SBH's. This one does. If it shoots as well with a 5"barrel I will be one happy fat white boy. [ATTACH=CONFIG]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20140727_121850.jpg  

Nice group!! I shot my RH for a while iron sights, but then slapped a 2x on top and it's wore it since...

The Red and Black with iron sights off sandbangs would cluster into tight, tiny groups... even after I had my SBH cut down to 5 5/8"...

Great guns, but that forcing cone ream job Doug mentioned will really help!!!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    I was concerned about a Redhawk shooting as well as SBH's. This one does. If it shoots as well with a 5"barrel I will be one happy fat white boy. [ATTACH=CONFIG]
    Hold a little more to the right

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12