Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad DataWideners
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hevi-Shot Hog Wild 12ga dissection w pics

In Remembrance

Hevi-Shot Hog Wild 12ga dissection w pics

I finally got ahold of some of the new Hevi-Shot Hog wild ammo: the tri-ball in 3.5” and di-ball in 3”, and just for you guys I dissected one of each and analyzed the components. Bear w me, as I load the pics and commentary.
    As I promised here:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?236224-Factory-cathing-on-to-Tri-Ball-loads-Hevishot-ammo!

First up is a pic of the loaded rounds. Simple enough.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1 loaded rounds.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	30.1 KB 
ID:	110379

C-
    "...the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Orwell added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we fear will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we desire will ruin us. This book is about the possibility that Huxley, not Orwell, was right.” -N.Postman

In Remembrance

Name:	2 hevi 3in seeds.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	110381

Ok, lets get into the 3” since that’s the one most here might shoot. I cut off the fold crimp to find… sesame seeds (look roasted even), no not kidding! Seeds as filler over the top ball.

Seed weight in 3in hull: 43gr
    "...the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Orwell added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we fear will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we desire will ruin us. This book is about the possibility that Huxley, not Orwell, was right.” -N.Postman

In Remembrance

Next is the 3” payload: inside a 4-petal wad w a deep overpowder cup are the 2 balls and a spacer

Name:	3 hevi 3in wad balls spacer together.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	12.3 KB 
ID:	110382

In Remembrance

Here is the 3in payload separated. Balls are 0.6225” and weigh 206gr each. Yes, only 206gr- they are not puer lead, or any alloy I can think of. Pure lead of .6225; diam would weigh 363gr, wheelweight would weigh 350gr, and linotype would weigh 334gr. Any ideas on a 206gr ball composition???

Name:	4 hevi 3in wad balls spacer seperate.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	23.2 KB 
ID:	110383

The spacer is .633” diam and weighs 20.5gr. it is bi-concave to fit both balls, one on each side. The wad petals are thick; 0.030" for a total addition of 0.06" to the balls making the conglomerate 0.6825" aroud the balls and 0.6935" at the spacer,and the wad base is 0.718"- hope it seals in the gas! The orange wad for the Dixie tri-balls is thicker, FYI.

In Remembrance

The powder, if the pic comes through, is 26gr (in the 3” load) of what looks exactly like Lil’gun-

In Remembrance

Now the 3.5” load w 3 balls. Much less sesame seed over shot filler, only 15gr weight.

Name:	6 hevi 3.5in seeds.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	19.8 KB 
ID:	110384

In Remembrance

And here are the components. Same as the 3in load, except one more ball and spacer, and the powder, again looks exactly like Lil’gun charge is 36gr.

I guess it could be a finer grind of longshot (longshot is used in heavy 3.5’ loads, moving 1&7/8oz loads over 1250fps w 36-ish gr of longshot)
    Hevi-shot claims 1250fps. Since total payload weight is 674gr (slightly over 1.5oz) in the 3.5”, and in other tested loads, 47gr lil’gun gets a 880gr full bore slug moving at 1320fps/ 13.3kpsi; whereas 28gr of Longshot moves that 880gr slug at 1050fps/ 8.3kpsi. I guess hevishot could have used whatever they want, and some stuff we don’t have access to.

Name:	7 hevi 3.5in components.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	32.6 KB 
ID:	110385

Boolit Grand Master
    Very nice report. Thanks

With seame seeds that makes it a real servival load!! LOL That is really interesting news, Thanks,
    CD
    When you find you are in deep trouble, look straight ahead,keep your mouth shut, and say nothing.

A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards

Theodore Roosevelt

In Remembrance

might even be considered baiting the hogs. or at least the birds.

Banned

Hevi-shot is a tungsten iron mix if I remember right.

Boolit Master

southerners use grits. northerners use cream of wheat. ??? uses sesame??? Burmeese? Indians? Somebody check with Ajay ASAP! Middle easterners? Sesame seeds? And I thought I loaded some weirdos!

In Remembrance

densityL
    if its hevi-steel ball, it would be 9.4g/cc which woudl be a 302gr ball.
    environmetals lightest alloy is 8.4g/cc which woudl be a 269gr ball.
    regular shot steel is 7.8g/cc which equals a 250gr ball.
    so what in the world is this stuff?
    it does NOT attract a magnet.
    C-

In Remembrance

btw the hevi-people's website says the filler is flaxseed.

Quote Originally Posted by cpileri View Post
    btw the hevi-people's website says the filler is flaxseed.
    C-,

you trying to kill the hog or feed it?

BB

Boolit Master

ill bet dollars to donuts (but not a cent more) that they use off-the-shelf powder. Reason? Same as the reason that ferrari uses off-the-shelf audio gear in their cars. No reason to make a ferarri specific CD player for 1000 cars a year when they can buy an Alpine unit for $500 a pop. They'd spend 4x that developing their own.

In other words, there's only so much market for shotgun shells that cost $3-$3.50 a shot, and I will bet that it's not big enough to justify the cost of one entire powder run worth of batch.

So the hog gets a snack thrown at it before departure.....sounds like the last flight I took only with better results for me....I got to where I wanted to go.
    They call it "common sense". Why is it so uncommon?

In Remembrance

thanks tomme boy, for the ref sheet. so i went back to my excel sheet for roundballs and plugged in some numbers to try to figure out what this stuff is.
    Aluminum would give me a 86gr ball, so it isnt aluminum (thankfully!).
    But something in the 6.5g/cc or a smidge less range would give me 206gr assuming the ball isnt HOLLOW.

I kind of want to try to cut on in half and see.

nearest on the chart is Zirconium; doubt it!

some deductive reasoning, It would be expensive to produce hollow balls, even for a short run. So i doubt it (for now), and the allow is probably common as well. so...

What common alloy is 6.414g/cc (say 6.5g/cc for easy remembering) or thereabouts?

C-

In Remembrance

whiterabbit, excellent points!
    Helps me reason they didnt work too hard making a hollow-zirconium alloy ball either!
    it has to be a common alloy.
    Still searcching the bulk suppliers of roundd balls.
    Whats the density of the bismuth-alloy that Cerro-safe chamber casting metal is made off?
    Of course, that stuff is really soft.
    C-

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast