WidenersRotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Load Data Reloading Everything

View Poll Results: Have You Ever Considered Buying A New House To Build A Shooting Range In The Backyard

Voters
158. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

147 93.04%
  • No

11 6.96%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Buying A House To Build A Shooting Range

Boolit Grand Master

Buying A House To Build A Shooting Range

I am thinking of buying a new house. It is quite a bit smaller than the one I am in but it is in the country even farther and has 5 Acres of which several are old hayfields backed by a mile of woods or so. This would let me build a 300yrd rifle range. So I am wondering whether anyone has ever considered moving to a new house to build their own range in their backyard?
    Last edited by jonp; 07-13-2014 at 05:40 PM.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Banned

I did so. Had 20 acres buried deep in the hills backed-up to huge area of public land. Very nice. Had to sell it and I am currently planning next move. I was so far back in the hills that often only 4 wheel drive was only access. Now I have no neighbors but can get to pavement quickly which is a bonus but I can only fire off a few rounds every now and then. Miss being able to shoot in any direction I pleased. Go for it. I had a small house on 20 acres that I preferred to both my brothers' two million dollar homes. I like living in the sticks.

Boolit Grand Master

I hear you jmortimer. Before I moved south I lived in my hunting camp. Leased on 5,000+ acres and behind 2 locked fences several miles off of the tar. 95% of the time I was the only one there. Work up a load and go into the yard to try it out.

Banned

It's not that I don't like people, but I prefer being being away from them and doing what I want with no friction. I hate crowds, traffic, and feeling constrained from doing what I want. Sound like a good move to me. I will take a small modest house in the country any day over a big house in the city.

Boolit Grand Master

Where ever I move to next will be my last home. It doesnt have to be big, but must have room to farm, raise farm animals and shoot! I'd love to go out to 200 yards at a minimum and preferably up to 500 yards.

I love having the ability of shooting in your backyard..... Aint nuthin like it....

+1 to what morty says

Boolit Master

We bought a forty acre parcel with a three acre piece attached with a small older mobil home on it. We lived in the mobil while we built our current home on the acreage. We built a thirty-six hundred square foot single story ( I hate ladders) "ranch style" three bedroom three bath home to our own specs after drawing and rearranging the plans several times. Now I shoot when I want to.
    Marty-hiding out in the hills.

Boolit Master

Do it... Just came in for a sandwich from extending my 200 yd range to 300 yds. Looking to buy the 80 acres next to me so that I can stretch things further if I want. Like Jim people in general irritate me so I've done us all a favor and moved 60 miles south of Nowhere Don't know that I'll stop at 200 acres but with the house in the center of it and the nearest neighbor over a mile away it works for me.

Boolit Grand Master

"It's not that I don't like people" I actually don't care much for people. Casual hello's now go away works for me.

Boolit Buddy

My wife and I just bought a 17 acre farm out in the sticks. The awesome thing about is that it had a 300 ft chicken house on it that had all been cleaned out, thus an indoor 100 yard range. I had a friend come in with his dozer and backhoe and we basically closed up one end for a bullet trap. It is 40 feet wide, so I have all kind of room to do alot in it. I also have two other barns on the property and a stocked fish pond.

Boolit Master
    I just bought a new house this spring. My selling point was the property size and a small hill that is now my shooting range back stop. I knew I'd be in this home for some years so it was on property range or nothing for me. I have a 50, 100, 125 and soon to have 200y range set up. A couple steel hanging targets and hundreds of prarie dogs round out my nightly shooting.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    No. I'm every fortunate that I have a 50 yd. range in my back yard for pistol shooting as I have farmland. At some point though, we will be selling our house and building a new one in town that is more "age friendly" as we get older. I am going to miss having a place to shoot in the back yard but one has to get their priorities in order as one ages. Fortunatley I'll still have several places I can shoot on the farm. It's hell getting old . . . . .

My goal in the next 5-10 years is move to the northern part of Michigan with enough land to hunt and shoot on (10+ acres).

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    No. I have never not had a shooting range in the backyard. I have lived several places in AL and this state pretty much is a shooting range. I like it!!
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Banned
    Not only have I considered it.....I did it. I was raised by a handloader in a house that had a shooting range and it just seemed natural and just plain RIGHT. Load workup is faaaast when one only has to open a window to try something out, a 20 yard walk takes me to a solid benched range that has up to 250yards with backstop. I can also jump on the mower and go to the corner of the place to shoot 440+ yards iffin I choose.

That same "quickie" load test window has also been used to kill deer/turkey/pheasant/rabbit etc ....the law does not have a maximum size on your huntin shack afterall. My house is not much but it sets on a little piece of Heaven.....it truly is all about priorities. You can have your million dollar house on a cul de sac....I'll stay right here where I can touch off a gun at 2am and no one flinches,notices, or cares.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by jwber View Post
    My goal in the next 5-10 years is move to the northern part of Michigan with enough land to hunt and shoot on (10+ acres).
    What part of Michigan are you in now?

I'm about five miles north of Detroit and my dream is to move out west. I tell my wife I want to be able to shoot a gun off my back porch. This is largely inspired by a movie (I believe it's the Godfather, but I'm no movie aficionado) where they shoot clay pigeons off the back porch of a mansion. I always thought that was cool, long before I was ever into firearms.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Duputydog 25 , that is shades of Frank Marshalls "coops" range he used in his youth . If you don't raise chickens I would think an indoor range would be mandatory

Would I consider buying property just to have a range in the yard ? yup !! ... already did it

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Buddy
    One of the reasons I bought our house was for the shooting range possibility

It was a prerequisite for my home to be able to shoot and P off the back porch and nobody complain.... and I do just that.... but not all the time...
    Experience is the source of all knowledge.

Moderator Emeritus

Build a sound proofed range in the basement of the new house. Who would know?

Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    No. I'm every fortunate that I have a 50 yd. range in my back yard for pistol shooting as I have farmland. At some point though, we will be selling our house and building a new one in town that is more "age friendly" as we get older. I am going to miss having a place to shoot in the back yard but one has to get their priorities in order as one ages. Fortunatley I'll still have several places I can shoot on the farm. It's hell getting old . . . . .

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast