Inline FabricationReloading EverythingWidenersTitan Reloading
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Bear Defense 45ACP

Boolit Buddy

Bear Defense 45ACP

Not sure if i should be posting this here or in the hunting section. A friend of mine is planing to move to western canada, in bear country. He has been reading up and talking to people about a bear defense load, now personally i dont think he is going to have many issues with bear, but i said i would look into helping him out. I only have a mold for the lymann 225gr round nose, does anyone have any tips on hotter loads for bear defense. I want to load up some for my friend to try before he moves, he isnt getting any younger and i doubt he can handle the recoil of the 45 loaded up enough to stop a bear properly. Thanks

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    I could be wrong but I thought that the recommendation was for a 44 magnum at minimum for protection against bears
    Shoot'em If You Got'em...

Boolit Buddy
    My thoughts exactly, I want to take the time to change his mind before he gets himself in trouble. He can't take the recoil of a moderate load in a 44 mag let alone a full bear load.

Boolit Master
    Has he cleared owning a HANDGUN in Canada? Alaska - no problem, Canada is not Alaska. Maybe a big knife and a rifle?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by MostlyLeverGuns View Post
    Has he cleared owning a HANDGUN in Canada? Alaska - no problem, Canada is not Alaska. Maybe a big knife and a rifle?
    That I'm not sure of, my only task was load development

Banned

255gr RNFP would be my choice.

Boolit Buddy
    I would be down for trying that but I only have a 225gr rn. Looking for data ideas for that boolit

Last resort but better than nothing. Bullets should be of proper alloy and treatment to prevent disruption upon impact. 1911 should be upgraded with a new heavier recoil spring (18lbs at least, 20lbs maybe) and flat bottom firing pin stop if many of these to be fired, seriously do not shoot these unless gun is set up for +p loadings. Powder choice is paramount for increased velocity in the 45auto. If a stranger to this, google is your/his friend.

45auto +p
    http://blog.westernpowders.com/wp-co...ate1-28-14.pdf

Why not one of the small .44 mag lever action rifles instead of a 45 auto. One of the Rossi that are chopped way down?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by wbrco View Post
    Why not one of the small .44 mag lever action rifles instead of a 45 auto. One of the Rossi that are chopped way down?
    Again that would be my idea, my freind is going to be taking a 45-70 marlin but wants a sidearm aswell and 45 acp was his choice

Vendor Sponsor

Unfortunately, his choice is NOT a sound choice at all for a sidearm against bears. the .45 ACP was meant to be and designed by J. M. Browning to be a manstopper and was never intended to be used against bears. Maybe here in NC you can get away with using one against a 150-200lb black bear but where he is going? It is one of the WIMPIEST choices he could make, even loaded to +P velocity. If he cannot withstand enough recoil to kill a bear with a .44 Magnum, he really should be watching them on tv and not getting himself where he would need the defense of a handgun, because a .45 ACP simply is NOT enough gun for the job.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Buddy
    I agree totally, I'm thinking of loading up some +p loads as well as some full 44mag loads to prove the recoil to him and maybe sway his decisions

Boolit Buddy
    And now a word about the Darwin Awards....

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.
    While I'd take a .45 over a lot of handgun calibers, I'd really second what the others have said- a bigger caliber in a wheelgun would be my choice. .44 mag, .50 S&W, etc. I'd not have confidence that a .45 ACP would penetrate to the vitals or crack a big brown bear's skull.

Honestly if I were in that situation, I might go full on and get a 45/70 BFR revolver and a side holster to go with it. Because one thing I DO know: a 45/70 WILL drop anything on this continent or any other at close range, like a runaway freight train. Shot placement still being important, of course.

Boolit Buddy
    The bfr would make a great sidearm when your allready carrying a 45-70 lever gun, friend won't hear of it.

Boolit Master

Could a 45 ACP kill a Bear ? sure, ( eventually )
    Would it stop a Bear that is bent on eating you, ( as in right now ) doubtful.
    It's the wrong tool for the job

Threats to life and limb need to be stopped NOW If you can't gun up for the task, don't undertake the task.
    Go to a Zoo and stay out of the woods.

Don't mean to sound harsh and I know all the post that will follow about what 45 ACP can do.
    I live in Black Bear country, when Julie goes in the thick stuff to pick berries I don't give a handgun a thought.
    It's a 12 gauge with 3" slugs, NO nonsense about staggering different rounds, slugs get my vote.

I don't think many people know what a Bear looks like in a full charge with one thing on his/Her mind.
    It's not fun, it's quick, many times it's deadly, and takes nerves of steel to deploy what you have as a defense.

My recommendation, if you can't gun up and be proficient, Get Bear spray, carry a rifle and hope you go home with a full can of spay and all the shells you left with.

Again that would be my idea, my freind is going to be taking a 45-70 marlin but wants a sidearm aswell and 45 acp was his choice
    This is a little confusing to me, he can handle a 45/70 but can't handle a 44 Mag. ?
    Every time these threads come up I am amazed at what some, not all, people think some pistols can do, and how much they will go through to prove they are wrong.
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Boolit Master

I understand your concern for your friend but I would not contribute to his foolishness. If he is too hard headed to realize that he doesn't have enough gun I think he may be hard headed enough to make some other poor choices in his new surroundings that may get him in trouble. Don't take me wrong, I am not trying to bad mouth him, just showing a little concern.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm in total agreement with all these posts, I just hope I can knock some sense into this guy before he ends up wounding an animal and still being eaten.

Boolit Master
    I know very little to nothing about bears. I probably should not post anything based on that statement, but the 45 acp would beat a sharp stick or pocket knife. I know that is not an original statement either.

Assuming its the 45 acp or nothing I would go for accuracy and reliability. I would want to hit what I aimed for and empty the mag if the bear let me. I would see if he would at least spend the $20 on the lee 452230TC as it has a flat point and feeds well in my guns (from what I read others as well). I would cast it out of WW and water drop them. Load them of the maximum safe charge that is accurate and reliable.

Boolit Master
    I agree that a 45 auto isn't a best choice for this situation however if if your friend is dead set against anything but a 45 auto for a sidearm then load up some +p 225 grain RNs since that's all you have and make sure you cast them as hard cast. I would use an alloy of wheel weight or similar that is water quenched. You want a hard but ductile alloyed boolit, you don't want an alloy that is hard and brittle such as linotype and will shatter.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast