RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad Data
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Just got my first Lee Loader!

Boolit Buddy

Just got my first Lee Loader!

I just received my first Lee Loader in the mail today! This is my first loader of any kind. I decided I should start with this and move up when I have learned to make quality ammo with it first.

I need some help on a couple of items. I could use a recomendation of a good load for my 30-06. I have a 80's Savage 110 bolt action and it is my only centerfire rifle at this time.

I would like a good scale. I have been looking online and reviews are all over the place depending in where you read them. I think I would like a beam scale to start with. I really don't want the most expensive but, if that is what I should start with, I will save awhile.

Thanks your help, I am pretty excited about getting started reloading.

Oh, I did buy a book called "The beginners guide to reloading ammunition" by Steven Gregersen. It seems to be a good book with most of what I need to get started. Plan on also getting a Lyman's and maybe the one by Lee.

Thanks, Randy

Boolit Master

Randy, I suggest you invest in a reloading manual. Speer, Lyman, Hornady and Lee are all good, maybe buy one that goes with the bullet brand you're using. Beam scales are my go to but I've been at awhile. Lee loader in 222 Rem was my first metallic "press" slow but sure and made ammo more accurate than I could shoot! Good luck with a great hobby! Tim

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...RCBS-505-scale

It'd be hard to beat this one for a good all around scale!

I load with a Lee Safety scale most of the time, but I do like my 505 and it comes in handy for weighing boolits, since the Lee only goes to 100 grains.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Buddy
    tward, I do plan on ordering at least the Lyman book and probably the Lee. Got to buy it a little at a time. And........I just told the gentleman selling the scale, that Beagle333 turned me on to, that I would take it.

I have waited a long time to start reloading so a little longer won't kill me!

Thanks, Randy

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    That was a good price. They're $93 + shipping, new.
    You'll like it.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Beagle333 View Post
    That was a good price. They're $93 + shipping, new.
    You'll like it.

Yup, thanks a bunch!

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Glassman66 View Post
    I just received my first Lee Loader in the mail today! This is my first loader of any kind. I decided I should start with this and move up when I have learned to make quality ammo with it first.
    Congratulations Randy!
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Grand Master
    Sounds to me like you are off to a good start with some good equipment. Read the instructions that came with your Lee Loader, and do exactly what they say. You will get good safe, relatively mild loads to shoot in your Savage. That's the way Lee designed those packages. Once you have the basics mastered, you can use the loads recommended in the Lyman or Lee or whatever manual, along with the scale you are getting (because now measuring the exact load will be more critical since you won't have a fixed volume dipper to use) and you will be able to grow your reloading knowledge. Don't get in a hurry to make the baddest, hottest, loudest loads in the book, though. Enjoy learning and gradually work up to the level of performance appropriate to your needs. Good luck finding components, although the ones for your "ought six" shouldn't be too bad to find.

Regards,
    Froggie

Reloading since 1973 and still learning!
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Glassman66 View Post

I need some help on a couple of items. I could use a recomendation of a good load for my 30-06. I have a 80's Savage 110 bolt action and it is my only centerfire rifle at this time.

I would like a good scale. I have been looking online and reviews are all over the place depending in where you read them. I think I would like a beam scale to start with. I really don't want the most expensive but, if that is what I should start with, I will save awhile.

Thanks your help, I am pretty excited about getting started reloading.

Oh, I did buy a book called "The beginners guide to reloading ammunition" by Steven Gregersen. It seems to be a good book with most of what I need to get started. Plan on also getting a Lyman's and maybe the one by Lee.

Thanks, Randy

Randy if you need I can send you some 30-06 brass and bullets to try. Let me know if that would help you get started.

There is a link to a free online copy of the 1st edition Lee reloading manual in this post. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ed-Richard-Lee
    I read that one and it was pretty decent and one can't beat the price. Just downloaded it and read it from a computer. Describes the correct way to use a lee powder scoop to measure powder. Even if you are planning to weigh each charge it helps to be able to scoop a consistent amount of powder to weigh.

I use a Lee Loader for .38 and I have some observations. Get a plastic headed mallet it was much easier to use and won't damage the loader with the pounding the way a metal one will and works better than a hard rubber mallet. You will set off some primers using a Lee Loader. You will be tapping the brass cartridge down onto the primer, once in awhile a primer goes off. Not a big deal if you have on safety glasses and avoid doing it where it scares the heck out of anyone besides yourself. House mates and dogs do not seem to approve of this sudden pop and puff of smoke.

Might want to take the advice given me and pick up a bullet puller, not a question of IF you will need to take one apart but WHEN you will need to. Especially important if after loading you find a primer not set right. You do not want to try and re-seat a primer in a loaded case unless you made me the beneficiary of your life insurance. Probably better to use a bullet puller.

Clean your brass or any grit will leave scratches and a little brass lube will make things go easier. Search the site for citric acid, cleans brass pretty well and is cheap from canning dept. of stores. There are posts about how to use it.

If you can live with the loads in the guide that comes with it, you can make decent ammo with the scoop. I got my first LL in 1963 and loaded a boat load of 8x57 with it. Years later I got fancy and bought a press and "real" dies, all Lee. Not so certain my stuff now is any better than it was with the old LL.

Bill

Boolit Master
    Those loaders are neat got me started as well. My uncle had one in 30-06 and a buddy had one in 45 lc. We would load and shoot. Lots of fun.
    "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" Looking for an RCBS Ammomaster and H&R shotgun barrels regardless of condition

Boolit Master
    I got my start, reloading rifle cartridges with a Lee loader, and I was able to get 1-3/8" groups @ 100 yds, with a .30 cal rifle.

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you all so much, you are very helpful and generous.

I have been a member for awhile and I tend to research things to death before I do them out of a fear to fail. I think I am going to really enjoy making my own ammo.

prsman23 - Thanks for the offer, I have a couple hundred rounds of factory ammo and a good friend offered some brass. He has a Dillon and offered to let me use it if I bought the dies, but I would like to start small and work up. I think I will learn more that way. If I can't find some bullets I will let you know thanks!

Thanks for the help and kind words, I will download the Lee manual for sure.

Randy

I found that CCI primers worked best with my first LL 357mag. I had the fewest pops with the CCIs. A light glove on your punch holding hand is a good precaution.

Boolit Master
    Welcome to the Darkside
    Do, or do not.
    There is no try.
    Yoda

Boolit Buddy

I have a few 30-06 cases hanging around somewhere, let me know if you want them and I will get them off to you. Welcome to the wonderful world of Reloading. I am a newbie here and a newbie to casting but if I can help you with the reloading process in any way, don't hesitate to ask.

Boolit Buddy
    Glassman, send me your address and i'll give you a RCBS 505 scale. If you haven't got one yet? Its a little used and i'll test it before i send it.
    You know, there's an old saying, Miss Sally. There's no law west of the Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chism? James Pepper

Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there. John Simpson Chism

Boolit Grand Master

My first reloading experience was in '69 with a .38 Special Lee Loader. I worked off the instruction/load sheet for a few months before I got a reloading manual (Lyman) and a Lee Safety Powder Scale (I was reloading pre-web, so I was safe ). I scooped and trickled many loads and sometimes just scooped. I would suggest your next purchase be a Lyman's 49th, and a scale ASAP. I reloaded for my 3" 38 for about a year before I "graduated" to a press w/dies.

BTW, the Lee Loader for rifle/bottle necked cartridges only neck sizes so your ammo may not work in another gun...

Also take care; like some drugs lead to harder stuff, Lee Loaders lead to single stage presses and dies, then two presses and more dies, and powder measures, and more dies, then a turret press and more dies, and if your luck runs out a full out progressive...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Don't forget the whole I have to buy this new gun because I just got a set of dies and or a mold in that caliber.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast