Reloading EverythingRepackboxLee PrecisionLoad Data
WidenersRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Better metering replacement for unique?

Boolit Buddy

Better metering replacement for unique?

I've got me a couple loads I really like with unique but its tiring having to meter out every charge. Is there a replacement powder of the same burn rate that meters better?

Boolit Master
    I don't have any problem with Hodgdon Universal throwing uniform charges from my Dillon.
    Do you mean to say that you hand weigh each and every charge of Unique? Pistol or Rifle?
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Boolit Master

Power pistol is just a tad slower than unique and meters great for me

Boolit Grand Master

Universal is what you seek. Meters like water and burns "cleaner" then Unique as well. It's a modern equivalent to Unique.

Boolit Buddy
    Yes I hand weigh every charge. On my blackout subs its not a big deal cause I'm super technical about those, trying to stay juuuuust under the speed of sound. When my powder dropper (a lee perfect) is set, I'm seeing a +/- of .3 grains which fires up my OCD something fierce.

I'll look into the universal! Is it fluffier or more dense than Unique?

Boolit Grand Master
    The downside to Universal is that it is one of the most position sensitive powders I've ever shot. Try it with standard and Plus P loads in 38 with powder forward and powder rearward. Same with charges in 44 Special, 44 Magnum, and 357. Autoloader cartridges are not as bad because there's less room for the powder to move around, but with midrange charges 100 fps variations when the powder is so positioned are common. More than that in longer cartridges.

Don't take my word for it. Try it yourself.

It is more dense than Unique.

What are the chronographed velocity variations when Unique is dispensed from the powder measure? Substituting Universal when there is a fair amount of case space for it to move around ain't gonna be that productive. If the case is so crammed full of bullet that the powder cannot move around much, it will probably work out.
    Last edited by 35remington; 07-09-2014 at 06:38 PM.

Boolit Master
    Try Alliant 20/28 if you can find it. A little denser and cleaner burning than Unique. Substitute by weight not volume.

Boolit Master

SR (IMR) 7625. I load lots of it. They're supposed to be discontinuing it. A shame. Meters real well. Some time back, I wrote on my bottles "load as Unique". Works. Mike
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master
    Winchester 231 is a spherical and is close to the same burn rate. It meters really well.
    It is more dense so it will take up less space in the case which means you might get a double charge with it.
    EDG

Boolit Master

Titegroup meters really well.

Boolit Master

WSF , universal clays & power pistol are close to the same burn rate all have worked well for me over the years ! i personaly quit using uinique about 30 years ago.

Boolit Master

Power pistol would be my choice. Fine flake powder like Bullseye and just a hair slower than Unique.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I have an unopened can of SR7625 so thats good news I can fall back on it. Ive also got about a half pound of Herco I was thinking of using in .357 with my 358429s.

I'll keep an eye out for the universal.