Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingLoad DataInline FabricationLee Precision
Repackbox Wideners
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best so far in my 30-30 Marlin.

Banned
    So if I am reading the last 4-5 posts correctly.... you guys are saying that 4895 is not the only powder on the planet and that we should actually try something other than what we have used for the last 40+ years since we purchased a railcar load of it ? Next thing you will be telling the group that the Earth is not flat and that I should not just tear a drewl soaked chunk out of my pillow and stuff it in that there case of 4895 to make all things better? BLASPHEMY

And don't forget the lube! It's a wonder ole 44man is doing as good as he is with that nasty old Felix lube (no offense Felix RIP). I guess he could do worse and still be using 50/50.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BABore View Post
    And don't forget the lube! It's a wonder ole 44man is doing as good as he is with that nasty old Felix lube (no offense Felix RIP). I guess he could do worse and still be using 50/50.
    One of the greatest members we had. We conversed many times and I considered him a friend. I knew about his problems long ago but He told me to keep quiet and I respected his wishes. The loss to all of us brings a tear all the time.
    He was always diplomatic with words of wisdom. I will forever miss him.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 357maximum View Post
    So if I am reading the last 4-5 posts correctly.... you guys are saying that 4895 is not the only powder on the planet and that we should actually try something other than what we have used for the last 40+ years since we purchased a railcar load of it ? Next thing you will be telling the group that the Earth is not flat and that I should not just tear a drewl soaked chunk out of my pillow and stuff it in that there case of 4895 to make all things better? BLASPHEMY
    That is funny. Had good results with it too. It works but I screwed up again with primers. Looked on my bench and found a box of Rem LR magnum primers sitting there with 10 missing, so whet the heck did I have in those loads? I need to start over. Could I have had a mix of Fed 210's, Rem 9-1/2's and Rem mags? I swear I don't know what primers were in the last three shots.

LOL I have 2 powders currently, IMR 4895 and 3031. For me the 3031 is I guess and emotional attachment. My very first steps into the reloading world was with a .243, a 60 gr BTHP from Hornady, and a can of Dupont 3031. Charge was I believe 30 grains.

That was a very long time ago, and I still have that can of 3031, and it still works.

I prefer the 4895 for my pair of Mosin's and my Yugo SKS, but the 3031 works well also.

Call me an old softie, but I still get a smile every time I think about those 60 gr BTHP reaching out and touching a crow at 3-400+ yards.
    One crow down in an explosion of feathers, the rest of the flock takes off crying and calling excitedly. "*** WAS that!"

Grin

Banned

Nothing will replace 3031 in the old .222. 1/2" groups at 250 yards from old Rem rifle. 4064 was the powder in the .220 Swift. I could not hit a crow with the .222 over 300 yards but the swift was good to over 400 for a crow and good for chucks over 600.
    Guys do not know what we did long ago. The old pre 64 Winchester in .220 Swift was a master with some work. The 722 Rem was as good with a little work.
    Never liked the 22-250, wrong twist. light bullet gun. The .244 Rem was amazing but not with deer bullets so it lost out to the .243. The .244 was a VARMINT GUN. But could have put the .243 in it's place with a few twist offers. The .244 is superior in every way.
    The .280 Rem is better then the .270 Changed to the .280 express then back, same gun but never caught on. Still better. More bullet choices then a .270.
    It is you shooters that dictate what caliber is best based on what you do. You ruin good calibers and guns. Same as revolvers that must have 4" barrels or less.
    I blame stupid for the loss of good calibers and guns more then anything.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    One of the greatest members we had. We conversed many times and I considered him a friend. I knew about his problems long ago but He told me to keep quiet and I respected his wishes. The loss to all of us brings a tear all the time.
    He was always diplomatic with words of wisdom. I will forever miss him.

Totally agree, he was thee best moderator this board has ever seen and he never even wore the hat. He confided his issues with a few and never once did I see those issues posted anywhere on this forum until the end was near....goes to show what WE thought of him. He will be forever missed by many. I know I miss him dearly.

I know Babore personally (he may not admit to that) .. Babore meant no disrespect...he was merely stating that lube is another variable to be tested, some lubes are better than others in different applications. Too many here want to pick a "it is what it is" and call it a variable and profess it to the point of total understanding on THAT ONE FAKE VARIABLE.....that is a mistake IMO, I have made it myself.

The variables are the instruments that make up the orchestra. Change out one instrument and you have changed the whole orchestra. Certain variables can eithe be made by Stratoverias (sp) or they can be made by Mattel and they cannot be expected to act the same way and they will indeed change the tone for the rest of the orchestra going on around them. Your barrel is not gonna change, that is what it is unless you have a fat wallet and nothing else that needs feeding from that wallet. Your barrel is nothing more than the stage that the orchestra is sitting on..... nothing more.....large tweaks and small tweaks to the real variables you can control are what seperates a symphony from MERE NOISE....the trick is to make the best NOISE you can with what you have available I guess. I would say you have pertnear done just that.

I would say your NOISE from that STAGE is damn fine indeed....nice shooting 30-30 there. I would hunt with it and be Merry. I think most here would also.....lot to be said from that.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    That is funny. Had good results with it too. It works but I screwed up again with primers. Looked on my bench and found a box of Rem LR magnum primers sitting there with 10 missing, so whet the heck did I have in those loads? I need to start over. Could I have had a mix of Fed 210's, Rem 9-1/2's and Rem mags? I swear I don't know what primers were in the last three shots.

It could be real simple....... in that gun with that load.... the PRIMER VARIABLE is not a big variable and may not be "vital" to THE LOADS success. It could also be you timed the flinches and the jerks just so that it made it unimportant for THAT GROUP. You will find the answer to that one next time out I would bet.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    LOL I have 2 powders currently, IMR 4895 and 3031.
    I have never been able to make such a statement, doubt I ever will be able to. My "nature" prevents such a situation. If my life depended on me being able to list what I have in powder varieties, I would be in serious trouble, as in not living kind of trouble. Hats off to you, I wish I could come closer to that goal, but I fail everytime I attempt it...I give up.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 357maximum View Post
    Totally agree, he was thee best moderator this board has ever seen and he never even wore the hat. He confided his issues with a few and never once did I see those issues posted anywhere on this forum until the end was near....goes to show what WE thought of him. He will be forever missed by many. I know I miss him dearly.

I know Babore personally (he may not admit to that) .. Babore meant no disrespect...he was merely stating that lube is another variable to be tested, some lubes are better than others in different applications. Too many here want to pick a "it is what it is" and call it a variable and profess it to the point of total understanding on THAT ONE FAKE VARIABLE.....that is a mistake IMO, I have made it myself.

The variables are the instruments that make up the orchestra. Change out one instrument and you have changed the whole orchestra. Certain variables can eithe be made by Stratoverias (sp) or they can be made by Mattel and they cannot be expected to act the same way and they will indeed change the tone for the rest of the orchestra going on around them. Your barrel is not gonna change, that is what it is unless you have a fat wallet and nothing else that needs feeding from that wallet. Your barrel is nothing more than the stage that the orchestra is sitting on..... nothing more.....large tweaks and small tweaks to the real variables you can control are what seperates a symphony from MERE NOISE....the trick is to make the best NOISE you can with what you have available I guess. I would say you have pertnear done just that.

I would say your NOISE from that STAGE is damn fine indeed....nice shooting 30-30 there. I would hunt with it and be Merry. I think most here would also.....lot to be said from that.
    Thank you so much about your thoughts on Felix. Those that come after will never know the loss.
    But I feel I know you and Babore even though we never met. It is important to me.
    I know he did not disrespect Felix, Babore feels the pain of loss.
    Felix also was a member of WWW. wedealinlead.com and jay asked me to get some of you to come over. Great site and you can cuss if needed, but not at each other, respect is top.
    The site is like this one and many from here are there also.

Huh! Must have been why I put "(no offense Felix RIP) following my sentence.

Banned
    Huh! Must have been why I put "(no offense Felix RIP) following my sentence.
    You guys gave an opening to talk about a great man that I dearly miss....I took it and it helped ME, that's all. You KNOW I am cheap, and I get cheap therapy wherever/whenever I can.....so THANK YOU BOTH

Do I know you?

Boolit Master
    i have the new remlin 336w, does the cast boolits lead the barrel up?

Banned
    Do I know you?

I dunno, not sure I know myself somedays.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Remiel View Post
    1. Welcome to the fray, 2. Read all you have time to read here. 3. It will not lead the barrel if you do things correctly, and all that info is right here on CastBoolits.

What he said.^^^
    welcome the forum! There is about a million years of reading for you to do.
    Take some time really researching proper fit of the boolit to get started.
    also, you have the Lyman cast bullet loading manual right????
    hit amazon and scoop that book up, excellent resource.

Quote Originally Posted by Remiel View Post
    Well, the original post (which you hopefully read, along with every other post prior to yours) didnt say anything about leading the barrel up. In fact, it described a very efficient and accurate load

If a load leads the barrel up, it wouldnt be touted by a member with 15,000 plus posts as a good one.

Welcome to the forum...id be surprised if you post again. No offense. Maybe do a little general research about 'cast lead bullets in guns' on google and you will find the answer to this first question. Then come back, read a dozen stickies, search for threads regarding marlin 30-30 with cast boolits, then ask a more specific question

If you provide the particular boolit & powder you are contemplating, you might get an answer worth reading

Otherwise

'no, not if you do it right'

Banned

Can't add anything, never had any leading at all with all the boolits I have shot from the Marlin.
    I also get the gun blazing hot because being lazy, I put up enough targets and move from load to load. Been too hot outside and the gnats drive me crazy so sessions are short. I swear the bugs drive Humvee's down there! Got a huge welt on my fore head.
    Remiel, welcome, I see it is your first post. You will get to understand all of us and see that we really care. You might have much work to do but the answers are here if you search.
    We will not ignore any questions either, you might get a poke in the ribs now and then but if the guys put up with me, they will put up with anyone!
    Soon you will understand everyone.
    The Marlin can be a chore because of the shallow rifling and bores are larger so fit is important. Many factory molds cast too small but the RCBS 150 I bought is correct and some Lyman molds will do it. Depends on whether cherries were re-sharpened when the molds were cut.
    But right here you will find the best mold makers to be found. Also those that sell beeswax and a source for lanolin cheap. Wall Mart has the rest. Make your own lube and cast your own boolits.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DrCaveman View Post
    Well, the original post (which you hopefully read, along with every other post prior to yours) didnt say anything about leading the barrel up. In fact, it described a very efficient and accurate load

If a load leads the barrel up, it wouldnt be touted by a member with 15,000 plus posts as a good one.

Welcome to the forum...id be surprised if you post again. No offense. Maybe do a little general research about 'cast lead bullets in guns' on google and you will find the answer to this first question. Then come back, read a dozen stickies, search for threads regarding marlin 30-30 with cast boolits, then ask a more specific question

If you provide the particular boolit & powder you are contemplating, you might get an answer worth reading

Otherwise

'no, not if you do it right'
    The one of the guys teaching me cautioned against using cast due to the microgroove rifling, I am still learning and I am finding that its a pain to get bullets. a friend of mine has casting equipment from his father and i have been debating making my own, i have actually bought boolits from a member here to try out in my shotgun. so i will do as you say and do some more reading and see what i can learn.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast