Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersInline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Repackbox

Thread: Gas checks

Boolit Buddy

Gas checks

What is the trick to seating gas checks when using a Star lube sizer? I can't get enough resistance to seat the check before the boolet is sized and pushed out of the sizing die.

Put something like a thin steel ruler or utility knife blade over the die hole and push against that until the check is seated and then push the boolit through the sizer.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks, I tried all sorts of ways using the die to line thinks up but no go. Your way works well but I am doing 37gr .224 boolets and the only way to hold them is with a pair of modified tweezers or some other fixture and it is so labor intensive (4to5 a minute just to seat the check if I'm lucky) that I think I will get a top punch from NOE for the bullet and use the RCBS.

Boolit Buddy
    I ran into a similar issue and didn't haven't the patience for the multi step process. So, for GCs, I add the GCs and press with the RCBS LAM II in a batch, then proceed with the Star

I know that was a shi$$y response, but it does document our experiences

Maybe someone else will chime in on how they handle adding checks on smaller boolits
    Last edited by chloe123; 08-20-2014 at 11:56 PM.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...k-seating-tool
    I had Buckshot make me one for my 22 caliber bullet. I can do 10 to 15 per minute. Once the gas checks are seated, then I run them through the star. Contact Buckshot about them. You will need to provide dimensions of the bullet and gas check you plan to use.

It is still a clumsy process, but easier than trying to do it without a tool. I don't think there is an easy method for smaller bullets.