MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad Data
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackboxLee Precision
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: 45ACP 230GR TL with 2.1 Grains of Bullseye - Too Light?

Boolit Buddy

45ACP 230GR TL with 2.1 Grains of Bullseye - Too Light?

Has anyone else experimented with light loads for the 45? These won't cycle the slide, which is handy for Bullseye Pistol Shoots at the gun club. There isn't the usual chasing of brass. The only issue seems to be that the grouping is terrible. I'm on the paper at 25 yards, but barely.

There is also quite a bit of soot on the cases. Is that a sign that my pressure too low to seal the chamber properly?

I'm also seeing unburned powder in the barrel. Would a tighter crimp help?

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Low loads in most cals will lead to sooting along the cases because there is not enough expansion to provide a good seal. Something you have to live with if using light loads. I do and just wipe them off with a rag B4 real tumbling/cleaning.

A fast powder will help with the unburned problem. BE is comparable to Titegroup or Clays or 700X which I use for almost for everything. A tighter crimp will definitely build up more pressure and possibly allow your BE to burn more completely. How much? Hopefully those wiser than I can answer that for you. I have never used BE.

good luck!

banger

Boolit Buddy
    I would say too light. I'd assume accuracy is a lot more important than not chasing brass for Bullseye shoots but if you are looking for both, you might consider trying a heavier recoil spring to prevent it from cycling. IIRC 16# is standard spring weight for the 45 government length slide but Wolff has them up to 26# or so. I'd guess that a 26# spring would keep a more normal light load (e.g. 4.0 gr bullseye) from ejecting.

Boolit Master

I'd guess that a 26# spring would keep a more normal light load (e.g. 4.0 gr bullseye) from ejecting.
    Folks I wouldn't want to be pulling a 26# spring back, and I certainly would not let it slam home.
    Get a spring kit, 10, 12, 14 and 16# springs, work up a load that is mild, 3.5 -- 4 grains of BE or work one up with Tite group. find a load that will not cycle the slide with the 16# spring, then drop down in spring weight till the cases fall at your feet. A 200 grain SWC may offer less recoil pulse.
    Unless there is an issue ( handicapped, or other physical reason ) if I wanted to win a match picking up the brass would not top my list.
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Boolit Master

I worked some Very light loads years ago for my 1911 in 45 acp you did not need hearing protection as ther was no boom or crack possibley 400 to 500 fps it also functioned well, but i changed the recoil spring to a reduced rate and the main spring to a 19 lb reduced power rate.
    i cant tell you what weight recoil spring as i have Wolff's reduced and extra power spring calibration packs. i think they go from 7lb to 26 lb, You may also have to try a reduced power mag spring i did on my first 38 super race gun it was super tight when new i used a 8lb recoil spring & reduced power mag springs for a few hundred rounds to brake her in and since have gone to 12lb recoil & standard mag springs