WidenersRepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Craziest thing you have witnessed on the range.

Craziest thing you have witnessed on the range.

Following on from the "Odd things you have found at the range" post.

I just wanted to share this with you.
    Her in the UK my shooting club has the use of a 1200 yard range that is about a 45minute drive from my house and we get to use it a couple of times a month. It is in a rural location surrounded by farm land with woodland on one side but the only problem is that there is an ancient right of way (footpath)across the range at about the 300 yard point. Needless to say that we have to post sentries on both sides of the range with radios to halt shooting if anyone wants to cross , which is a rare occurrence. One particular day we were shooting from back @ 1000yards and the "Stop, Stop, Stop!" signal was squawked from the radios, we made safe our rifles and waited, only to see a man staggering across the range with a large roll of carpet on his shoulder! Apparently the sentry had seen him coming down the footpath and informed him there was live firing on the range ahead but the detail was due to finish in approx 5-10 minutes so why doesnt he have a breather from his heavy load (the sentry even offered to make him a coffee). This guy was in no mood for small talk and was very insistent that it was his right to carry on unhindered and the risk to his well-being did not even come into the equation, so off he trotted.
    We just sat there totally bemused from what we were witnessing and wondered how far this chap had to go with his precious cargo!
    Deer wandering across the range and Pheasants walking across the sand trap are a fairly regular occurrence but the man with the carpet was hopefully a one-off

Boolit Grand Master

At USPSA, I was ROing and the stage was El Presidente (start facing up range, turn draw and fire). Of course you load and holster facing down range, then turn and prepare to shoot. This guy was right in the middle of the pack and had seen at least 5 before him do just that. I got him in the box facing down range and told him to make ready. Idiot turns up range and starts to pull his gun facing the whole squad. I got my hand on his before he cleared leather, but that is the single stupidest thing I have ever seen.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master

People sweeping the firing line with their firearms....scope on backwards...scope turned so adjustment dial on left side....sighting in "New" firearm w/scope at 100 yds ( two boxes of ammo gone before he asked for help, although we offered beforehand)....

Boolit Buddy

We were half way thru a high power match at Camp Robinson, Arkansas when 3 people on horseback suddenly rode out of the woods between us and the pits. Tongue lashing would not describe what the army range officer gave them for being so ------ !

Boolit Master
    A couple of months back I was down range when an old man decided he did not need a cease fire anymore. The RO's got pretty tense when he started waving his loaded pistol around trying to make his point that he was a good enough shot to not hit anyone down range. He stomped off hollering he would never be back, and I am pretty sure they would not let him in if he did.

Boolit Master
    I have seen many. guy loading a muzzle loader with a cig. in his mouth. guy had a bubbaed type77 jap rifle, of the last ditch type. I told him it was safe to shoot. he laughed and said he knew what he was doing. the third shot sounded different. he came off the line with half his beard smoking and ear bleeding.

Boolit Master

I was locked in on the bench, ear plugs in, focused in the scope set at 12x (narrow field of view) and suddenly I could faintly hear an engine sound through the ear plugs. Lift my head up off the rifle, and down range there are two atv 4 wheelers that have come down over a step bank right into the shooting range.

The cosmonauts on the 4 wheelers suddenly realized they were in a bad place and raced off.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Mold
    I was next to a guy with an ar 15 with no rear sight shooting at 100 yards. Bullets were hitting everything but the target. He just couldn't figure out why he wasn't hitting the target. I offered my advice to stop shooting until he acquired a rear sight, but he didn't want my advice.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Ripper View Post
    I was next to a guy with an ar 15 with no rear sight shooting at 100 yards. Bullets were hitting everything but the target. He just couldn't figure out why he wasn't hitting the target. I offered my advice to stop shooting until he acquired a rear sight, but he didn't want my advice.
    When I was about 18 I use to go to a small indoor range near my house. Let's just say this place would not pass today's safety requirements. Because of ricochet problems, they only allowed cast boolits and sold only wadcutters to shoot. It was just me and the guy in the next lane, who happened to be a paraplegic in his wheelchair. Suddenly, this guy pulls out his 357 and I don't know what he was shooting but they were ricocheting all over the place. I dove on the floor and he cracked up laughing.
    "If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Mold
    He would of been a paraplegic with a busted jaw or black eye.

Boolit Buddy
    I was a range officer at a range in Virginia for a few years. I had a number of people come out and just walk down range while it was hot to hang a target.

I had a LEO demonstrate to his friend how his 1911 will not fire if you push the slide back slightly and blow a hole in his own hand.

I watched a guy wrap his hand around the frame of his S&W 29 at the flash gap and pull the trigger. That was interesting.

I watched two Japanese fellows mount their own scope on their brand new Weatherby rifles because they were too cheap to let our smith do it. That resulted in both of them getting a third eyebrow, that was actually funny.

I threw numerous drunks off the range and had one that was about 75 to 80 years old rip me a new ******* about how long he had been shooting and what a prick I was. When I told him Prick or not he was out of there. He reached for his single action army on his hip and I stuck my 686 in his sternum and told him to turn around and leave. He never flinched, he just gave me a look that would kill and nodded his head, turned on his heel and left. I spent the rest of that day watching over my shoulder.

I got a bunch more.
    'The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.
    Daniel J. Boorstin

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
    Albert Einstein

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

You are joking, right?

That kind of action would really been great when it hit the media.

What gives people the idea they have the right to beat of others.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by brtelec View Post
    I threw numerous drunks off the range and had one that was about 75 to 80 years old rip me a new ******* about how long he had been shooting and what a prick I was. When I told him Prick or not he was out of there. He reached for his single action army on his hip and I stuck my 686 in his sternum and told him to turn around and leave. He never flinched, he just gave me a look that would kill and nodded his head, turned on his heel and left. I spent the rest of that day watching over my shoulder.
    Now that I understand.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Master

Wouldn't want to go hit a paraplegic especially if he got that way defending my freedom.
    "If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Grand Master

Was at a range with Btroj a few years back, when a guy showed up with an AK and a couple of 30 round mags. He asked if he had to shoot at a target, or if he could just shoot at the birm. With that in mind, we kept an eye on him, and he proceeded to pull off a few founds at a time from one of the 30 rd. mags. When he finished with the first mag, he put in the second, and fired off the whole mag about as fast as he could pull the trigger. Then for some reason, he reached forward and grabbed the barrel just behind the front sight. Did not touch the bbl, but grabbed it! You could almost smell the meat of his palm burning, and he packed up and left. Has to be the dumbest thing I have ever seen done on a range!
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Mold
    What gives that guy the right to risk my life and laugh about it. I don't give a flip if your handicap, you do something that risks my life and laugh about it, you deserve what you get. I would expect to be punched if I did something like that on purpose.

Boolit Mold
    So you guys are saying that a person is held to different standards because they can't use their legs. Sorry if I offended anyone, but that rubs me wrong.

Love Life
    I agree with Jack Ripper. I wouldn't throw the crippled man a beat down, but I would have choice words with him. Does not matter that he is crippled nor does it matter how/where he got crippled. A man puts your life at risk, and laughs about it, deserves no respect. Fact.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    I agree with Jack Ripper. I wouldn't throw the crippled man a beat down, but I would have choice words with him. Does not matter that he is crippled nor does it matter how/where he got crippled. A man puts your life at risk, and laughs about it, deserves no respect. Fact.
    I agree, I did give him a piece of my mind and on my way out, alerted the range personnel. Around that time, many of the handicapped were Vietnam Vets. Being that my Stepfather and 3 Uncles served in Vietnam I have a lot of respect for them. Besides, one of my Uncles is just the type to pull something like that. Lol
    Theodore Roosevelt

Love Life
    Being a vet does not give you a free pass to endanger the safety of others and run roughshod over range rules. It does get you discount at Lowes though.

Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast