Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackboxLee Precision
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Craziest thing you have witnessed on the range.

Boolit Master

I only wish I could witness something like this at the range but I'd probably pee my self laughing so hard. Next he plans to practice his conceal carry.
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Xr2Pr3sMY44
    "If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Saw a man with a rifle rested on bags watch his son through the scope walk down range to post targets.
    Ky State Director IHMSA
    Hunter Ed Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Buddy
    That's kind of creepy
    'The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.
    Daniel J. Boorstin

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
    Albert Einstein

Boolit Buddy
    Doing my yearly qualifying and the guy next to me is shooting everything except his target. Literally shot the hanger for his target. Some of his rounds were on my target and some on the target for the guy on his left. Not on purpose mind you. Halfway through our qualifying he started his draw and discharged a round next to his foot. I asked to move after that.

Few years ago was shooting one of my AR-15s. We have an old guy that likes to collect brass. I think he resells it to supliment his income. Anyway he is supposed to be a RSO, wears the red hat etc. I was zoned into my scope working on my groups. Saw some movement, looked up and he is in front of the firing line picking up brass. He was at the other end of the row but still...

Had other RSO's want to check for my ID which is fine and part of being in a club. Only issue is a live range, rounds going off, No hearing protection.

The best one's are the RSO's that will sit in their car and honk their horn while your shooting to get your attention. They get all pissy when I finally realize what the noise is and turn around to see them holding up their ID and pointing to it wanting to see mine(while still in their car).

Oh last one from 5-6 years ago, shooting my F-Class 6BR with heavy 30" tube sitting on a front rest and a rear bag at 100 yards for load development. 25X scope with a 25X spotting scope that my Dad was using to see how I was doing. Had some guys on the 50 yard range next door with some AKs i think. They banged off a few mags quick and left. They must have skipped some rounds or something because a few minutes later a RSO shows up and lectures me about keeping my impact below the midpoint of the berm etc etc. Kept my mouth shut because I thought it was funny that he didn't put two and two together that a precision rifle was sitting there. Guess I could have showed him my target through the spotting scope.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by 35isit View Post
    Saw a man with a rifle rested on bags watch his son through the scope walk down range to post targets.
    Was the bolt open, OCI in place and not touching the rifle in any way?

What's the problem?
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by jcwit View Post
    Was the bolt open, OCI in place and not touching the rifle in any way?

What's the problem?
    In order to watch someone through your scope, that is attached to your rifle, you have to be pointing the rifle at them. Which means you are now muzzle sweeping your son. Great role model.

Quote Originally Posted by Deliverator View Post
    In order to watch someone through your scope, that is attached to your rifle, you have to be pointing the rifle at them. Which means you are now muzzle sweeping your son. Great role model.
    and if the bolt is removed, or the bolt is open with a empty chamber indicator in place and you are not touching the rifle in any way I still fail to see the problem.

During small Bore matches folks open their bolts, insert ECI in place, and no one is allowed to touch their rifles yet everyone is in front of the muzzles changing targets and some get back before other others, so some are at the line some are still down range. This is also how it is at bench rest matches.

Now, What is the problem?

You are worried about muzzle sweeping someone with only a barreled action and no bolt????????????????????????

On Heaven's Range

I've run a lot of matches too, and one of the basic rules, AFTER the firearms on the line are proved safe, is:

STAND BACK FROM THE LINE!

People downrange can NOT see what those folks back at the firing line are doing, and someone sitting at a bench peering through a rifle's scope is is in SHOOTING POSITION.

As a shooter downrange, OR as a Range Officer, I for one would not tolerate this activity.

The firing line must not only BE safe, it must also be SEEN to be safe..... and that means that no one approaches the line for any reason until all persons are safely back behind the firing point.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Boolit Grand Master

One of my pet peeves is the RO that on seeing a infraction OBI out and laying there, saftey off, magazine in a rifle. rectifies it while people are down range. Hes handling the firearm under the pretenses of saftey when in reality its the safest when not being touched by anyone. I have seen it at local matches with out operating pits. Another thing to keep in mind at alot of high power matches half your day is under the targets while they are being shot at. Called pit duty. Ive spent alot of time at Perry, washenaw and other reanges pulling targets.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
    I've run a lot of matches too, and one of the basic rules, AFTER the firearms on the line are proved safe, is:

STAND BACK FROM THE LINE!

People downrange can NOT see what those folks back at the firing line are doing, and someone sitting at a bench peering through a rifle's scope is is in SHOOTING POSITION.

As a shooter downrange, OR as a Range Officer, I for one would not tolerate this activity.

The firing line must not only BE safe, it must also be SEEN to be safe..... and that means that no one approaches the line for any reason until all persons are safely back behind the firing point.
    Not the way I've seen NRA sanctioned matches run.

I shall take note Monday, July 14, and note how the NRA themselves handle it, will not trust my memory from years past.

The Bulls Eye matches which are NRA sanctioned "not run by" the shooters are told to remove magazines, place ECI in, and place guns on the bench. No stepping away is required.

On Heaven's Range

I don't know under whose "rules" you operate matches, but it took me all of thirty seconds to find the following with a Google search:

"NRA Operational Range Rules:

14. When the line is declared "CLEAR"

2. Everyone must step back from the line.

3. No firearm may be handled while the line is clear."

It seems that your match operations have not been following the NRA regulations.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

I've seen it both ways.
    Every range I've shot at in Canada, and that's many, uses the back away from the bench until the RO says otherwise.
    R.M.

The tree of liberty must be watered periodically with the blood of tyrants and patriots alike..........Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Grand Master

The command line I heard for years was bolts open flags in place magazines out step back from the line. Standing at the back edge of you mat was fine and allowed Line officers to verify flags were in and bolts open

Quote Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
    I don't know under whose "rules" you operate matches, but it took me all of thirty seconds to find the following with a Google search:

"NRA Operational Range Rules:

14. When the line is declared "CLEAR"

2. Everyone must step back from the line.

3. No firearm may be handled while the line is clear."

It seems that your match operations have not been following the NRA regulations.
    Got a link?

I did find that regarding small bore, however the rules were updated as of this year.

How bout all the other disciplines?

BruceB, ever compete at any of the matches ran by Haven Williams?

"I would like to have an argument"

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...MeB_7y5Xgw_UGw

Boolit Master
    ^^^^^^^^^^^ I was thinking the same thing................

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    - Henry S. Haskins in “Meditations in Wall Street”

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." ...Unknown

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by jcwit View Post
    and if the bolt is removed, or the bolt is open with a empty chamber indicator in place and you are not touching the rifle in any way I still fail to see the problem.

During small Bore matches folks open their bolts, insert ECI in place, and no one is allowed to touch their rifles yet everyone is in front of the muzzles changing targets and some get back before other others, so some are at the line some are still down range. This is also how it is at bench rest matches.

Now, What is the problem?
    The problem with this is that the rifle is being handled while someone is down range, and in this particular instance the rifle is being aimed AT a person downrange. I don't care if all you have is a barreled action, if your hands are on it and someone is downrange you are doing something very very wrong.

Boolit Buddy
    I am an NRA Chief Range Safety Officer. Any match I am RO'ing people are back from the guns. I teach RO's the same thing.

WP
    NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor in Pistol, Advanced Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, PP In/Outside the Home, Metallic and Shotshell Reloading, Chief RSO