Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 310 Cadet Project

310 Cadet Project

I've been thinking for a while about a 310 cadet project. The main calibers I've considered are 218 Bee and 357 Mag. I'm not sure how hard the little cadet action can be pushed re 357 Mag (is it capable of full power loads?)

If in 218 Bee I'd be shooting jacketed (I might have a play with cast, but that's all). A rabbit head shooter at 180 meters and light to carry would be the goal there.

If in 357 mag it would be a cast shooter. To justify the spend I'd like it to shoot sub MOA with 140-165 gn cast at 100 meters. Is this difficult to do in this caliber?

How available is 218 brass? Barrel recommendations? Stock maker? Gunsmith (Australia)

Any suggestions including caliber, Let me know, although I'm not likely to deviate from 218 Bee if I go the 22 route.

The Cadet action can handle full power .357 just fine. Bee cases are getting hard to find. Instead of Bee how about K-Hornet?
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Buddy
    I really like the 218 Bee, and hope to find a martini someday in that caliber.
    I don't know if this helps you in NZ, but 218 Bee can be made pretty easily by necking down 25-20 brass.

Good luck with the project and caliber decision.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I have a Cadet in .357 with 16-inch twist, which I use to test .38 Special and .357 ammunition, with 6x Unertl sckpe. Good .38 wadcutters approach an inch at 50 yards. My best .357 cast loads do under 2" at 100 and with good jacketed loads it will approach an inch at 100, but can't do it on demand every time. The SAAMI .357 chamber does not give as good accuracy as using a conventional rifle throater and fitting thebullet exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffinNZ View Post
    The Cadet action can handle full power .357 just fine. Bee cases are getting hard to find. Instead of Bee how about K-Hornet?
    Cheers Jeff, I have a Sportco hornet already, I'd like something different and a little more.

Thanks also gewerfreund for the brass tip

I'd be sorely tempted to rebarrel a Cadet in .25cal, then chamber it for either the .256 Win Mag (.357 case, necked down) or the .25-35 Winchester (.30-30 cases) - which may need minor releiving of the loading groove atop the breechblock.

Heroes have regularly rechambered .310 Cadets to .32 Winchester Special, likewise releiving the breechblock groove - but they kick like snot. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...hester-Special

Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post

I'd be sorely tempted to rebarrel a Cadet in .25cal, then chamber it for either the .256 Win Mag (.357 case, necked down) or the .25-35 Winchester (.30-30 cases) - which may need minor releiving of the loading groove atop the breechblock.

Heroes have regularly rechambered .310 Cadets to .32 Winchester Special, likewise releiving the breechblock groove - but they kick like snot. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...hester-Special
    Recoil wont be much less with the .25-35 either!

A .25's less boolit weight sure helps, though, Val.

Boolit Buddy
    Has anyone tried .225 Winchester in a cadet?

Quote Originally Posted by rollmyown View Post
    Cheers Jeff, I have a Sportco hornet already, I'd like something different and a little more.
    .25 Hornet or .270 REN?
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

How about one in 17/357 - fiddly to cast for!
    ars longa, vita brevis

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Martini Cadet in .357. It is in real nice shape. I have had it for over 40 yrs. It is missing a few parts. Missing is the rear site, the butt plate, and the rear stock bolt to hold the stock on.
    I also have a barrel assembly, complete with fore stock and rear site. It is sill in .310 cal, and has a nice bore, and a real nice blue on it. There are some stock pins missing on both the rifle , and the bbl assy, also. They are made by BSA, and marked Commonwealth of Australia. both are very clean, and serviceable. I was always going to complete them but never did. I am selling both if anyone is interested. I can get pics also.
    PARTS ARE SOLD PENDING FUNDS. Thanks to all who replied.
    Pm or email barracudadave67@hotmail.com
    Last edited by Rebel Dave; 07-15-2014 at 12:03 PM. Reason: SOLD PENDING FUNDS

Just chewing the fat here. Will the cadet action accommodate the 222 Remington? I already have dies and brass and it is a classic caliber capable of great accuracy.

Boolit Master
    The 222 rimmed was in fact the 222 Remington with a rim, you can fire 222 rem in the rimmed chamber but have to use a cleaning rod to remove shell. There are rimless extractors made for the Martini so answer is yes on 222 rem.

Rollmyown.Gunsmith at Dubbo NSW (Peter Kay) has a extractor for the 222 remington round or you can go 222rimmed,same dies and a 357 shell holder. My little martinis are 17bee 30-30 and a 357mag.No problems with them,altho the 30-30 has a bit of recoil.

Bertram has 222 rimmed brass,$99 for a 100.Posted

Quote Originally Posted by rollmyown View Post
    Just chewing the fat here. Will the cadet action accommodate the 222 Remington? I already have dies and brass and it is a classic caliber capable of great accuracy.

Yes/No - The Martini was designed around rimmed cartridges (for ejection), so (in your case) the rimmed .222R is indicated.

Not exactly the caliber I wanted. It's in 223 Remington. It's got a nice stock design and timber.
    I haven't seen it in the flesh yet, a mate took some pics for me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sportco.jpg  

Looks fair dinkum, to me !