WidenersLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackboxRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: MiHec 10mm/40s&w - 170gr / 150gr WFN/HP, 4-cav, Brass

Boolit Master
    Sorry for getting too anises (sp) . Mold came a day or so back and UPS POSTAL couldn't wake me up so they took it back to the local post office. I lost the card to use at Post Office, but all was O.K. as I live in a great place. The mold is as usual a great looking piece of work. If some one wants to sell the 200/190 grain version, I would like one also. He's out of those. Thanks board guys, just forgot how far that is too send something..CLAYPOOL

Boolit Master
    I really think it may be time to redo a group buy on the 200 grainer
    See Some of My Holster Work Here:
    www.whitetigerleatherworks.com

Boolit Master
    I agree and would be in for a 190-200gr. lube groove version.

Longer nose and less material in the brass prefered, so that you can load it safely in the .40 S&W.

Boolit Master
    Just remember that the maximum you have to work with outside the case is .285 in.
    On my last Mihec .40/165~170 I think the Ogive radius was about .85
    Not positive but, I would think that would be about the maximum amount of material you could have outside the case and still get reliable feeding?

Attachment 113303
    Last edited by Blanco; 08-12-2014 at 12:07 AM.
    Do, or do not.
    There is no try.
    Yoda

Boolit Master
    Oh, very interresting!!!

Never heard about that, but ever wondered why .40 bullets are always having such a short nose.

Sorry for OT, but why is this so?
    PM?

Boolit Master
    Please continue your design discussion here:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=248437

I can answer some of these questions from a design perspective over there.
    Last edited by Oreo; 08-15-2014 at 06:57 AM.

I made up some testing rounds for my SW1076 using new starline brass, Wolf LP primers and SR4756 powder and the 135 deep HP (10/1 alloy). I used the Hornady 155gr XTP data as a guide. Start charge is 11 grains and the most I loaded in .5 grain increments was 12.5 grains.

I will report back how these do velocity wise and in water jugs.

Boolit Master
    I have some made up and PCd now for my 10 also 135 gr I'm going to play with about 1300 fps and see what I get for now then go up!

OK I talked my shooting buddy to hit the gel with the 135gr Mihec. Here were the results: .

I'm not sure 7" is enough penetration to get it done for a defensive bullet, but you have to like the 1550+ fps. We had more than one go over 1600fps with that load today.

Boolit Master
    That's friggin awesome Ole. Thank-you to you and your buddy.

The 135gr is definitely NOT a defensive boolit and was never intended to be. It was meant to be a fun-grenade on water jugs and melons, etc. Looks like it does that pretty well.

Any sign of leading out of those rounds? I'm very curious to know how fast they can be driven without a check.

Kinda neat how the nose expanded and then sheared off in a full-ring donut.
    Last edited by Oreo; 08-15-2014 at 09:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Oreo View Post

Any sign of leading out of those rounds? I'm very curious to know how fast they can be driven without a check.

Kinda neat how the nose expanded and then sheared off in a full-ring donut.
    No leading that I could tell. I made the mistake of shooting some of these at my "pistol" spinner targets and dinged it up pretty good. I wasn't thinking about the extra velocity screwing up the soft steel.

I wasn't expecting these to penetrate gel well, but I had to try it- you know- just to be sure.

Boolit Master
    Well, after the gel test, the boolit looks a little bit out of round, isnīt it?

Boolit Master

Impressive, 1500 FPS is getting on down the road, I like the donut.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Boolit Master
    Correct me if i'm wrong here but the whole point of a hollow point is to open up in the target and deliver all of the kinetic energy. Lamenting the fact that it did not penetrate is counter intuitive.
    DUDE what i see is that it worked exactly as it should have... AWESOME
    Do, or do not.
    There is no try.
    Yoda

Hey guys. I'm the guy who did the test.

Blanco, you're partly right. Expansion is good until it reduces expansion to the point that a projectile cannot reach vital organs. The ideal projectile for personal defense against humans is the one that penetrates 12"-14" at the velocity you intend to push it. The projectile in this test has a high probability of failing to reach vital organs in a human attacker in the event that the projectile has to traverse a limb before striking the torso, strikes at an oblique angle, or passes through intermediate obstacles. The same goes for medium to large game. In animals that are close to human size, a load like this could be effective IF the bullet is placed perfectly. Shot placement > penetration > expansion > caliber. While shot placement is the single most important factor in incapacitation, in the real world, it is difficult to get a perfect shot on a stationary or slowly moving unaware game animal, let alone a determined attacker who is trying his very best to put you in the ground.

Boolit Master
    I've got my first test loads done and powder coated with this one they will be going 1300 or so FPS I'll shoot some jugs and we can find out how they work at a slightly slower speed.

Boolit Master
    Andrew,
    I'm the guy who designed this boolit and honchoed the mold group buy.

First and foremost thank you for doing the testing of this boolit as well as the heavier version which I think maybe you tested also.

You are 100% right on every point for hunting boolits however, this 135gr (deep hp) version is intended to be a fun water-jug boolit and nothing more. It's supposed to dump all it's energy as fast as possible like a varmint frangible. There are several heavier versions of this same boolit with hollow point cavities designed for more controlled expansion in 170gr, 190gr, and 200gr.

With that in mind, were you pleased with it's performance on the water jugs?

(Here's a pic of all the options for this boolit. I'd be happy to provide samples of as many as you're willing to test and video for us.)

Last edited by Oreo; 08-18-2014 at 03:44 PM.

That's correct and thanks for the offer but Ole has the mold.

I believe this bullet did exactly as designed and exactly as you'd expect. A lead/antimony alloy would probably result in even more fragmentation. We'll likely test the shallow hex pin next but I also have some .357 and .44 testing that I want to get done.

Boolit Master
    Oreo got a family picture.....How purty
    Do, or do not.
    There is no try.
    Yoda

Boolit Bub
    So what is the expected penetration depth on gelatin when using the 170 gr?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast