Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackbox
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLee PrecisionWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: MiHec 10mm/40s&w - 170gr / 150gr WFN/HP, 4-cav, Brass

Boolit Buddy

I don't know that this is helpful to someone sizing in a traditional lube-sizer but it might be worth some experimentation. I am powder coating mine using the airsoft pellet electrostatic method. Mine end up near .405 after coating. I pass them through a Lee (dry) sizer at about .4015 or so and a little silicone spray lube makes a huge difference. I found that it was best if i shot some in a plastic container and then added the powder coated bullets after a few minutes, as the solvent with the silicone lube was quite volitile and melted the powdercoating just a bit. My only concern at this point is whether the silicone lube will leave the bullets slick enough to prevent a good grip on them when taper crimped. Sizing effort with the silicone lube and a polished Lee sizer was way below what it was without the silicone spray.

Paul

Boolit Master
    Jay .... I think it is time to talk to Miha. They shouldn't be that big or out of round. I'm sure he will make it right if it is his fault.

Nighthunter

Boolit Master
    Send him a PM and see what he says. I don't know what threshold he has for verification of a defect but he has resolved problems in the past with no trouble at all.

Boolit Master
    Thanks guys for your awesome support.

I will play around with it for a little while and if I donīt find an acceptable solution, I will contact Miha.

Boolit Master

You should still get in touch Miha, get the ball rolling and play with the mold at the same time.
    That way if you can not get you mold to work you can have a new one on the way.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Boolit Buddy
    I'm still getting to know mine, I think I have to run it hotter than I do with his .44 mold. However, a .401 die just cleans up the sides a little. I didn't measure mine as dropped but very little effort to size.

Boolit Master
    My anecdotal experience:
    I measured both my 170gr and my 150gr boolits and at first glance they appear to be dropping right at .4034" +-.0002"

Sizing those down to .4010" is easy. Getting them down to .4000" for powder coat, or .4010" after powder coat requires a bit more force and sometimes leaves just a hair of lead fash on the boolit base. Something I feel more then see.

Boolit Master
    Mine just barely get sized down at 401 then I powder coat and run them thru again, so far it's working about perfect and is making me suspect there is no need for a gc mold but perhaps one with no lube grooves.
    See Some of My Holster Work Here:
    www.whitetigerleatherworks.com

Boolit Man
    I just tried my first dozen out back at the range and had excellent results.with the 135 gr hollow point. I cast it with plumbing lead with a little tin, lubed with 45-45-10 and loaded with 7.2 gr of silhouette
    Granted these are my first few rounds but they shoot well and no leading in my cz p07. If Woman will cooperate I will post pictures of my target and a recovered boo lit later.

Boolit Buddy
    Finally got to the range.
    I loaded up some of the MiHec penta points. These weigh about 169 gr. after powder coating. Sized to .401, which nearly makes them a "no lube grove" bullet due to their being oversized.
    First try was with Unique. I've had good luck with it in other calibers and it is my go to powder for standard target loads (and because I've got a ton of it).
    I tried charges ranging from 5.5 gr thru 6.5 gr in .2 gr. increments with no signs of pressure in my 40 S&W Glock 22. I loaded up 10 each and headed to the range.
    I hit a sweet spot at 6.1 grains.
    Target grid squares are 1". Fired at 25 yards from a rest.
    I'll load up some more at 6.0, 6.1 and 6.2 and try to fine tune it, but this may be as good as I can get with my 63 year old eyes and iron sights.
    As always, start 10 % below my data and work up looking for signs of pressure. I make no warranty this load will be safe in your gun.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0612.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	112796
    Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints!

Boolit Master
    i'd take those results!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by timberhawk View Post
    Finally got to the range.
    I loaded up some of the MiHec penta points. These weigh about 169 gr. after powder coating. Sized to .401, which nearly makes them a "no lube grove" bullet due to their being oversized.
    First try was with Unique. I've had good luck with it in other calibers and it is my go to powder for standard target loads (and because I've got a ton of it).
    I tried charges ranging from 5.5 gr thru 6.5 gr in .2 gr. increments with no signs of pressure in my 40 S&W Glock 22. I loaded up 10 each and headed to the range.
    I hit a sweet spot at 6.1 grains.
    Target grid squares are 1". Fired at 25 yards from a rest.
    I'll load up some more at 6.0, 6.1 and 6.2 and try to fine tune it, but this may be as good as I can get with my 63 year old eyes and iron sights.
    As always, start 10 % below my data and work up looking for signs of pressure. I make no warranty this load will be safe in your gun.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0612.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	112796
    My results on the load were almost identical, I found my accuracy dropped off a bit above 6.0 and below 5.5 so I just stuck with the nice even number.
    Nice shooting, I found it to be the most accurate .40 load I have tried in any of my pistols.
    Do, or do not.
    There is no try.
    Yoda

Boolit Master
    I'm going to start my 135gr development this weekend hopefully!

Boolit Master
    I'm very interested to hear of your results Harley45.

Boolit Master
    I think I have sent payment for this mold set up. Should I be concerned as it was with Pay Pal..? It came as a email and pat now box..? I have not kept up with Pay Pal rants, etc. for some time. Thanks

Boolit Buddy
    I paid with Paypal and didn't have any problems.

Boolit Master
    MiHec bills via PayPal invoice which means you get an email from PayPal saying that M.P. Kalupi o.o. sent you an invoice. You click "pay now", send the payment, and then MiHec ships your mold.

MiHec's real name is Miha Previc which is where the "MP" comes from. Kalupi means molds in Slovenian, and I assume o.o. is like saying inc. or co. here in the US.

Boolit Master
    How much smaller in dia. will the bullets drop out, if I run the mold really hot.
    0,001" less?

This would help me a lot.

Right now Iīm trying to get Major PF with those three bullets, using Winchester WST and Alliant Green Dot.
    Will post results if someones interested in.

My new Star sizer will be running next week, I will take a look, how the bullets go there through.

Just did the starting loads with all three of them, although I wasnīt really sighting on target, the group of all rounds shot wasnīt too bad, about 3,5" on 25m.
    I will do some precise shooting, when I have the bullets on the right speed.

Boolit Buddy
    I'd be interested in the Green Dot loads. I use Green Dot in the .38 Spl for light target loads, so I've got a lot of it on hand.

Boolit Master
    Yes, Green Dot is normally a shotgun powder, but really rocks in "big" pistol cartridges like .40 S&W and .45 ACP.

But because the corn is huge, it doesnīt drop propperly in small cases.
    Tried it in 9mm Luger which didnīt work.

Iīm wondering if it drops constant in a .38 Spl case!?

Soft recoil, clean burning, constant velocities, I love it.

Because of the very short chamber of my CZ TS, I have to set back the bullets really mucho (unfortunately).
    Barrel length is 5,1", my OAL for all three is 1,114".
    Iīve used Federal primers and a friction crimp.

My first (starting) loads were:

HP which weighs 158gr:
    4,2grs. of Green Dot brought me 987fps

Penta Points which weighs 167gr:
    4,1grs. of Green Dot brought me 987fps too

RNFP which weighs 173gr:
    4,0grs of Green Dot brought me 928fps

All loads were soft shooting, no pressure marks on the cases and primers, clean burning.

Iīve added now 0,2 and 0,3grs. of Green Dot to every load and will measure them soon.
    Last edited by jayjay1; 08-08-2014 at 02:35 PM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast