Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersSnyders JerkyRepackboxLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: What's your dog worth to you

Boolit Master

What's your dog worth to you

A few years ago, my wife wanted a chihuahua. We already had a bull dog and I told her that if she got that dog I wasn't even going to take it outside, it was all hers. Needless to say, it and the two others she got since then love me more than anyone. The first one just took a hold on my heart I don't know what I would do if something happened to her. Well, last week, she started getting ill. She was feverish and stopped eating. After work, I got worried, and rushed her to the animal hospital. Emergency surgery for pyometra $2100. My wife got upset with me and the whole argument started. When you know that surgery would save her what do you do?
    "If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
    Theodore Roosevelt

I would have sold stuff if I had to, to pay for the surgery. Some things in this world are priceless....

In Remembrance

What DKF said.
    Tennessee Hunter Education Instructor

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to
    restrain the people; it is an instrument for the
    people to restrain the government-lest it come to
    dominate our lives and interests"
    Patrick Henry

Boolit Grand Master
    They are not pets. They are a part of the family. Like an adopted child.
    Some just don't seem to understand this.
    I've spent money, that I really didn't have, on pet emergency care.
    My pet is part of my family. I would do anything for her.

Boolit Master
    Likewise. I just spent over $1100 in emergency care for mine. I'd do it over again in a heartbeat.

Boolit Buddy
    I lost one in a fire in 04 and that was the hardest thing to get over....all my guns fishing tackle, car and boat didn't mean a thing.

When my Rottie's got Ill
    - Bouncer was about $3500 in medical and still he only lived to 11 years old and Rowdy about $2000 before his death at 13 years,
    you can't buy love but you can buy care of those that you love and love you back unconditionally.
    The problem is you can't buy them a longer life - no matter how much you spend, age will still take them
    - you have to look at all the factors as well as a prognosis.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master

Growing up on a farm, cows and pigs, dogs get shot for doing the wrong thing.
    Hard to say, I had a dog that was hit by a car, could not afford the work to get him repaired.
    That and the more than better chance he would not make it, so I did the hardest thing I HAVE EVER DONE.
    Broke my heart, after 30 years I still get a tear just thinking about it.
    Pets are family, but not human, it is very hard choice, one I dont care for.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Galena Guru

We have been lucky over the years with our pups .. When my wife worked for a vet , that helped a bunch for bills , especially the horses ..

There has always been at least one dawg in the house .. When we had to put River Dawg down three years ago , we said that was it , he was the last , cause it's just to hard to say good bye .. Well a year or so later we got what was supposed to be a golden and something mixed pup , there wasn't a golden in the state when this critter's ma was bred , so we got a Basenji and something mix , sweetest thing and never seen one as curious as she is .. She was always hyper and so we got her a sister last year , blonde lab and something , Ally took to me , more than anyone else around here .. She's full of it as well ..

They mean more to me than most of my family .. I'd do what I have to do for them ..
    Schamankungulo

Matt. 5:14-16

GMCS USN ret.

Boolit Master
    they are my family Id protect them with my life

Boolit Master
    My dog 'Bud' had chronic problems develope at age 9 from his anal glands. I paid $1200 to have them removed. It was worth it, as he lived to nearly 17. My other dog 'Lola', got cancer of the mammary glands at age 8. I spent an embarrassing amount of money trying to save her. Bud's success encouraged me. But despite all the money spent after her diagnosis, she still only lived what my vet originally had given her, 8 months. It's a hard call, but when you love them like your kids....
    Last edited by wallenba; 07-04-2014 at 06:47 PM.
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    When my Rottie's got Ill
    - Bouncer was about $3500 in medical and still he only lived to 11 years old and Rowdy about $2000 before his death at 13 years,
    you can't buy love but you can buy care of those that you love and love you back unconditionally.
    The problem is you can't buy them a longer life - no matter how much you spend, age will still take them
    - you have to look at all the factors as well as a prognosis.

I so agree with you Artful.

I lost my Angel Jan 10 2014. after almost 14 years. I would give all the Gold in Fort Knox if, Just IF
    Damn here come the tears again.
    Guys dogs are a priceless gift from GOD.
    She was truly my best friend
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Well I just put $600.00 in a 11 week old beagle pup that came down with Parvo even though he had had his shots at 6,8 and 10 weeks. He made it through and is now tormenting the wife's cats. Hopefully he will make a good gun dog.

Boolit Master
    Eleven years ago we got a new Lab pup. Paid $200for him. Had him a month when he ran under our truck. Left front wheel over right hind leg. Femer broken at both growth plates. multiple surgeries and $4000 later he was okay. At the time I wondered at the wisdom of not just getting a different dog.
    Now after all this time I am sure we made the right decision. He is part of the family.

Boolit Master

My little Buddy was wandering the streets when we first saw him. He got chased away from house after house until he arrived at a house where the people were out of town for a week of vacation. They lived across the street from me. When Mrs Brass would walk Chelsey, Chelsey would go visit Buddy.
    I tried to catch him one day. He jumped in a flood control ditch and ran away. Another day I came home and saw a couple of neighbors outdoors and we all decided to catch him. I blocked the flood control ditch so he ran the other direction. He ran around a house where there was no fence and into a yard with a dug but not yet concreted swimming pool. Buddy whimpered when Thorne grabbed him, but started wagging his tail when no one hurt him.
    With food, water, a trip to the vet and groomer he was a different little dog.
    Buddy developed diabetes and required insulin every day. Absolutely fearless for a little pekinese/poodle cross. He went blind from the diabetes. Cataracts. He would still go charging off and right into any obstacle.
    We found a vet in Denver who did doggie cataract surgery. Poor little guy was miserable for a month and I am sure he had no idea why he could see again. He lived almost another year before he and Chelsey both suffered from kidney failure. Chelsey recovered some kidney function, but Buddy did not. It is unbelievably tough to hold your best friend while they go to sleep for the last time. Those last eleven months of joy for Buddy were worth every penny of the surgery and recovery costs.
    Last edited by BrassMagnet; 07-04-2014 at 08:17 PM.

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    Quote Originally Posted by BrassMagnet View Post
    It is unbelievably tough to hold your best friend while they go to sleep for the last time. Those last eleven months of joy for Buddy were worth every penny of the surgery and recovery costs.
    Amen to that.
    But it also my honor to be there for her. They deserve that.
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Master

I have spent thousands to help dogs who cost hundreds.

They quickly become a member of the family. If they can be helped or saved, the cost is not relevant.

Boolit Master

I guess you can tell from the picture that I love my dogs. I spent over $1200 on surgery for the little male I am holding. I spend $1800 on the older female not in the picture and I would do the same for the last little ****z Szu female I now have. She will be 17 this coming March and I dread her passing. You can get real attached to them. Not only would I spend a lot of money on keeping them healthy and with me, I would place myself between them and danger to keep them thus....
    Dysfunctional Disturbed Disabled Debonair Navy Veteran
    Swift Boats, Vietnam, 1967-1968.

"You are never too old to learn something stupid."

Boolit Master
    Beulah, our half Basset, half Yellow lab ( we call her an American Bassador Chow hound - half a dog high, dog and a half long) was hit by a car. They didn't stop or slow down. Fractured her right foreleg at the elbow and completely ring fractured her muzzle. thought she was going to die. Three months and $6,000 later she is home and back to patrolling the front yard to keep it squirrel free. Missing three teeth and has a pin in her leg. But now the sound of mud tread tires sends her running. Never considered not doing whatever we could. A dog is utterly loyal, always glad to see you, and will be there for you no matter how rotten a day you've had. They give you joy and at the end break your heart. Cannot imagine not having one around.

Jerry Liles

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    I have two hard and fast rules.

1. Never trust anyone who doesn't love animals.

2. Trust my instincts when it comes to rule number 1.

I'm not ashamed to say I've spent a stupid amount of money to save a four legged kid or two,,,,
    Last edited by Hamish; 07-04-2014 at 08:34 PM.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast