MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWidenersTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: The BEST BUTTER IN The World? Quite Possibly..

Vendor Sponsor

The BEST BUTTER IN The World? Quite Possibly..

I have tried a LOT of different kinds of butter over the years, but the first time I ever tasted Pasture Butter, I stopped immediately and had to sample a little bit more straight from the package! It's THAT good that you can eat it straight from the wrapper!

Organic Valley makes this butter from grass fed cow's milk, they feed the cows on organically grown grasses and it is only made May through Sept. or when the grass grows. This year's production started late because of the late spring, but they are shipping now. Whole Foods is the only place that sells it near me and when they get it, it disappears off the shelves in record time. It's no wonder why, people are catching on to how good it is. This is "cultured" butter, which is made in similar fashion to buttermilk by adding spores, and it is the secret of it's very intense buttery flavor.

We have been using this butter for a couple of years now, it REALLY brings out the best in baked goods, like the toffee flavor in chocolate chip cookie dough for instance. If you don't see this in stores near you, get their dairy manager to order you some, they are only making 8oz blocks this year, but it is WELL WORTH the effort to get some!

This stuff was a whole year off the shelves, they sold out of all the frozen stocks they had, so people are catching on to how good it is I am sure. One taste, you will agree. Whole Foods ordered me a case of 12 bars (which freeze very well btw) so I won't run out, and I will get enough in August/Sept to make it through the winter

Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

Cultured butter is made differently, you can make it yourself, I have. The culturing makes a huge difference in taste but it isn't done easily in mass production.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I grew up on that kind of butter. I was the guy who turned the crank.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Moderator Emeritus

Another churn turner here. I was asked in 8th grade what lifting techniques I used to build forearm strength. I told the city kid milking and churning and he looked at me like I fell out of the sky.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

Butter:

Growing up, my great-uncle had a little Jersey-Guernsey cross milk cow. That little cow supplied milk for his household and My great-grandmother's. The milk was raw, fresh from a couple of breeds of cow known for high-butterfat milk.

Grandma, being a frugal Cajun, skimmed the cream from her milk and saved it until she got a couple of quarts, then she'd put that in a gallon jar. In the hot afternoons when it was quiet, she's rock and while she was rocking, she'd agitate that jar slowly. After a while, the butterfat would start to 'come together' in clumps. When the clumps were getting pretty big and the liquid was looking very thin, she'd dip out the clumps of butter. Using a fork under cold running water, she'd work the butter until the water was coming off clear, meaning that the butter was free of excess milk. If you were remiss in this step, the milk would sour. If you did this step correctly, it wouldn't, especially after you worked a half a teaspoon of salt into the soft butter.

That, friends, is butter at the baseline, butter by which a lifetime of butters and margarines and spreads can be judged.

dale in Louisiana

Boolit Buddy
    DougGuy,
    I thought you guys are getting hit by the hurricane today! How could you even think about Butter ??? But now I have to find this. Thanks for the info.

In Remembrance

My grandmother would make small batches of butter in a quart jar by simply tilting the jar back and forth while watching tv or reading. Large batches were churned. I don't know about the culturing part. A local grocer told me a story of an old customer who came in every wek and bought butter and always complimented the butter and remarked that 50 cents a pound was a great price. Due to some circumstance butter jumped to $1 a pound. When told of the increase the old felow said, "I've known butter was worth $1 a pound for a long time".

So it tastes like butter is sposed too.

We just make ours with the Kitchen Aid mixer. Way easier than churning.
    Nothing tastes better than home made butter.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by reloader28 View Post
    So it tastes like butter is sposed too.

We just make ours with the Kitchen Aid mixer. Way easier than churning.
    Nothing tastes better than home made butter.
    Yup, Kitchen Aid here too.

Boolit Buddy

Try turning 80,000lbs of cream into 40,000lbs of butter and the same amount of buttermilk 5 days a week. I used to work in a dairy that packaged 11 different brands of butter and it ALL came out of the same box. Even the "Amish" 2 lb rolls that sold at the Amish store to the tourists for twice the price as the other butter on the shelf (which we also made).
    If you have ever eaten a butterball turkey, or had the hotcakes and sausage at Mickey Dee's you have ate butter from the dairy I worked at.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy".
    Ben Franklin

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Zymurgy50 View Post
    Try turning 80,000lbs of cream into 40,000lbs of butter and the same amount of buttermilk 5 days a week. I used to work in a dairy that packaged 11 different brands of butter and it ALL came out of the same box. Even the "Amish" 2 lb rolls that sold at the Amish store to the tourists for twice the price as the other butter on the shelf (which we also made).
    If you have ever eaten a butterball turkey, or had the hotcakes and sausage at Mickey Dee's you have ate butter from the dairy I worked at.
    Yeah, but at the other end of the scale there's Grandma with her half-gallon jug, rocking on the porch in the afternoon, enough butter for her household from a little cow that made enough for two...

dale in Louisiana

Boolit Buddy
    Nothing like warm milk fresh off the cows tit. Hope that doesn't offend anyone, but that's how i grew up. And churning butter was a past time. I wish i could find that butter around here and try it. Never have seen it but will be looking.
    You know, there's an old saying, Miss Sally. There's no law west of the Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chism? James Pepper

Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there. John Simpson Chism