MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Load DataLee PrecisionWidenersTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Photos from my enlistment on Independence Day forty years ago. July 4, 1974

Boolit Master

It is that anniversary again. To the top!

44 years ago.
    The time sure flies when you are having fun!

Almost time to retire again!

Brass magnet, first Thank You for your service! Second happy independance day. And last but not least, I know this is a long shot, I had a friend that graduated high school with me in 1979. He joined the Navy shortly afterwards, and was assigned to the USS NIMITZ. He served 4 years and reenlisted, but was killed in a car crash while on leave shortly after. His name was Keneth Keith. I think about him alot, but especially on July 4th. I was wondering if you knew him. Longshot I know, but was curious. Again, thank you for your service.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelguns 1961 View Post
    Brass magnet, first Thank You for your service! Second happy independance day. And last but not least, I know this is a long shot, I had a friend that graduated high school with me in 1979. He joined the Navy shortly afterwards, and was assigned to the USS NIMITZ. He served 4 years and reenlisted, but was killed in a car crash while on leave shortly after. His name was Keneth Keith. I think about him alot, but especially on July 4th. I was wondering if you knew him. Longshot I know, but was curious. Again, thank you for your service.
    I'm sorry, but no. I didn't get to the Nimitz until 1990.

Oh well, I knew it was a long shot. Thanks for the reply.

Boolit Buddy

SEFL - land of sunshine, liquid and otherwise...
    Brass magnet, thank you for the pictures and story. Thank you for your service!

To all my brothers and sisters in arms, former and current: Thank you all for service to our country!

I enlisted in the Marines in October of 1981 (delayed enlistment), went to Boot Camp in Sep 1982. 4 years of active duty. Harrier and Skyhawk structural mechanic (sheetmetal).
    Went in to the Marine Reserves for about a year and half.
    In Dec 1988 went into the AF Reserves as a C130 engine mech.
    Decided to start all over again in 2002 by getting commissioned as a 2LT in the Security Forces.
    Could be retired, but still kicking along at it, probably for another 2-3 years.
    So, September will mark 36 years in uniform.
    - Have a good day and a better tomorrow...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MstrEddy View Post
    Brass magnet, thank you for the pictures and story. Thank you for your service!

To all my brothers and sisters in arms, former and current: Thank you all for service to our country!

I enlisted in the Marines in October of 1981 (delayed enlistment), went to Boot Camp in Sep 1982. 4 years of active duty. Harrier and Skyhawk structural mechanic (sheetmetal).
    Went in to the Marine Reserves for about a year and half.
    In Dec 1988 went into the AF Reserves as a C130 engine mech.
    Decided to start all over again in 2002 by getting commissioned as a 2LT in the Security Forces.
    Could be retired, but still kicking along at it, probably for another 2-3 years.
    So, September will mark 36 years in uniform.
    Wow!
    The end of September will make 20 years of active duty in the U.S. Navy and 20 years of federal civilian service for me.
    I intend to retire again when February 1 rolls around!

Boolit Buddy
    USMC Jan 54-Sept 73 retired. Glad I could do it. (especially now. pays for my cancer treatment)

Kopperll

Vendor Sponsor

BrassMagnet thank you and all others who served our nation. I tried to join the Navy in '74 but there was this Army colonel with hairs growing out of the wart on his nose that looked down his fugly nose at me and didn't want no hippies that day so for no better reason than that, I was not selected.

I worked in the shipyards from 1970 onward and I welded on a LOT of US Navy vessels of all types and sizes. I served in the civilian capacity. Several of the ships I worked on saw combat off 'Nam before it ended. Some of us had to stay home and build the bullets..
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

couldn't lift my eyes from the pics posted 4 years ago. it waken up some memories.

will always be mystified by people like you who elected to live the marine's life. like many i've been tempted, well, my maths weren't good enough for the air force.

thanks for your service BM.

Boolit Buddy

53 years ago, July 2nd, I stepped on the 'Yellow Foot Prints' at Parris Island.. 14 weeks later I left the Island as a very different young man.
    Viet Nam 11/66 to 3/68

Boolit Master

Bump. It is now 45 years ago. Now I have retired twice and I still went back to work.

Boolit Grand Master

I remember when you posted this 5 years ago but apparently I did not reply to it.

Thank You for your service. I also enjoyed the pictures!

Boolit Master

46 years ago!
    WooHoo!!!

Boolit Master

6 July it'll be 54 years ago I was a guest at Paris Island.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Alstep View Post
    6 July it'll be 54 years ago I was a guest at Paris Island.
    WooHoo!!!

Boolit Buddy
    I worked in the shipyards from 1970 onward and I welded on a LOT of US Navy vessels of all types and sizes. I served in the civilian capacity. Several of the ships I worked on saw combat off 'Nam before it ended. Some of us had to stay home and build the bullets..[/QUOTE]

I served in the Corps but well knew we needed people back home to feed and supply us. I have read that when Churchill asked the coal minors to forget the union contract and work extra hard to supply the needs of the war industry he would see that when the war was over and they would have a victory parade that the minors would lead the parade

Boolit Master

Wow! Now 48 years ago. They told me rocks don’t live that long!

Boolit Master

48 years ago June 24; been retired for 28 years

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    BeassMagnet . . . if I'm doin' the math right . . . every year you keep gettin' younger!

All kidding aside . . . a big THANK YOU yo all of you for your service!

Have a great 4th!

Boolit Master

Enlisted July 1965. Did a stint as a Navy Corpsman Operating Room Tech, and by the Grace of God got passed over for the Vietnam debacle. Spent the last two years of service on the Island of Guam, "where America's day begins". Happy Independence Day to all, especially to those who GAVE ALL.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast