Load DataSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWideners
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ballard barreled action

Boolit Grand Master

You are right, the real question is if you are building a Schutzen rifle or an American rifle.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    You are right, the real question is if you are building a Schutzen rifle or an American rifle.
    I guess I didn't know there was a difference? There were thousands of schuetzen rifles built in the USA in the late 1800's and early 1900's, and almost all of them were on American made guns like Winchesters, Marlins, Remingtons, and Stevens.
    This one will get a Swiss buttplate regardless; just have to decide which size.

Boolit Buddy
    If you find an outlet for buttplates let me know
    I have been looking for a Swiss for a while.Thanks

Boolit Master
    Have you checked CPA for castings?

Boolit Buddy
    The problem is it's a real Ballard #8 stock that is missing the buttplate. I will contact them maybe they have something that can be made to fit. thanks
    Last edited by oger; 07-19-2014 at 11:14 PM.

I have 6-7 buttplates, but only one real Ballard small Farrow style. The rest are repops, and various styles. Winchester small swiss, Win large Helm, Stevens small and large swiss, Zischang, and a Ballard #6 schuetzen style.
    CPA does not carry any Ballard buttplates, but Wyoming Armory does.

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you, I will get a hold of them.

Boolit Buddy
    Not able to contact the Wyoming Armory they have a wonderful website but not of the contact E-mails work. Thanks for trying

Boolit Grand Master

Wyoming Armory
    356 W. Yellowstone Ave.
    Cody, WY 82414

Phone: (307) 527-4570
    FAX: (307) 527-7104

Between 9:00 AM and 5:00PM Monday thru Friday, MST -Emails are the best way to contact us as we are typically busy in the shop. An e-mail gives us a record of your contact and we will get back to you as soon as we can.
    Steve Garbe - spgarbe@yahoo.com

Keith Kilby - keithkilby@msn.com

Boolit Buddy
    Used the same info, Phone not answered, e-mails are not deliverable.

Boolit Mold
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1110835.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	111342 Val, I bought this one prong buttplate from Crossno at Tulsa show last fall. Haven't decided where to use it yet, like many other projects! But it does give the option for offhand and benchrest. I have never seen an original with one prong, only the ones that were cut off by gunsmiths such as Peterson or Schoyen. I ended up using an original brass schuetzen buttplate on my Steven-Pope barreled Ballard. Guess the decision is what you like and from what I have seen of your rifles from the forums you will make a great choice and it will look right. Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Crown-C View Post

Name:	P1110835.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	111342 Val, I bought this one prong buttplate from Crossno at Tulsa show last fall. Haven't decided where to use it yet, like many other projects! But it does give the option for offhand and benchrest. I have never seen an original with one prong, only the ones that were cut off by gunsmiths such as Peterson or Schoyen. I ended up using an original brass schuetzen buttplate on my Steven-Pope barreled Ballard. Guess the decision is what you like and from what I have seen of your rifles from the forums you will make a great choice and it will look right. Richard
    Thanks Richard! Just got word from Dave the stock is on the way to me! So I'll be able to do a rough test fit on the gun, and hold up various buttplates to get a look at what fits the style.

Got my stocks from Dave Crossno today! They look great!

wetted down to see how they look:

Tried a test fit to the barreled action, and this is as far as they'd go.

About 10-15 minutes with the wood carving tools and some dye, and they slid on. Put some self sticking sandpaper on the muzzle end of the barrel, and lapped the wood until it would slide back against the receiver. Then tapped it to mark the pins, and drilled the holes. Fits good, and about 1/8" large all around, so plenty to work with:

Not sure if the Swiss buttplate is small enough top to bottom, so it may not work. I'll see if a Winchester style can be reworked to have the correct V shape on the top tang. I'll post more as I get the wood shaped, and figure out a buttplate.

Boolit Master
    Nice, very nice! Thanks for pic's

Quote Originally Posted by Gtek View Post
    Nice, very nice! Thanks for pic's
    Thanks! I have located the correct small Farrow style Ballard buttplate, so wont be using the plate pictured. Hope to get the Farrow plate soon, and begin shaping the final contours of the new stocks soon!

Boolit Mold
    Very nice piece of wood and should make an outstanding stock. There is still a lot of work to be done, but that is what I enjoy. I usually have Dave fit the action and buttplate as I can take the action to him. When you speak of the Farrow buttplate is that similar to the photo I have attached? I picked this set up a couple years ago and haven't found the right action and barrel for it yet.

Name:	101.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	73.1 KB 
ID:	111661

Boolit Master
    The big question I am asking myself is- I wonder if I would have the patience to finish 100%? Or would it be too much to deal with once everything internal fit and plate set. I am pretty sure I would fold and my excuse would be to confirm feel so that I did not remove to much.

Quote Originally Posted by Crown-C View Post
    Very nice piece of wood and should make an outstanding stock. There is still a lot of work to be done, but that is what I enjoy. I usually have Dave fit the action and buttplate as I can take the action to him. When you speak of the Farrow buttplate is that similar to the photo I have attached? I picked this set up a couple years ago and haven't found the right action and barrel for it yet.

Name:	101.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	73.1 KB 
ID:	111661
    Yes, that is the Farrow style buttplate as used on Union Hill models. Nice find, as I don't see them separated from Ballard rifles often! John Merz had one and it's on it's way to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Gtek View Post
    The big question I am asking myself is- I wonder if I would have the patience to finish 100%? Or would it be too much to deal with once everything internal fit and plate set. I am pretty sure I would fold and my excuse would be to confirm feel so that I did not remove to much.
    The internal fitting on a Ballard is pretty quick when Dave does them. He does such a good job on the internal tang that it's just minutes with a wood gouge to fit it. I've done several externally, and always dread it, as it's a lot of work. I can do it, but it's just not that much fun for me. Unfortunately my budget dictates how I do things, and unless I thought I'd mess it up, I have to do it myself to save money.

Boolit Mold
    It does take a lot of patience! I generally enjoy the work though as seeing it finished is worth the time and effort. This stock is another by Dave that I did all the finish work including cutting the cheek shadow line. It turned out nice, at least I think so!
    Val, thanks for the info on the farrow buttplate, I thought it was, but wasn't sure. I have been looking for Ballard receiver (either cast or forged), probably a 3F, pistol grip with a #1 or 2 size barrel as the forearm will only fit a small barrel. Haven't found the right set yet.

Name:	P1110391.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	26.2 KB 
ID:	111717
    Last edited by Crown-C; 07-26-2014 at 07:47 AM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast