Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackboxInline Fabrication
WidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ballard barreled action

Ballard barreled action

Just picked up this neat single shot rifle. It's a barreled action that somehow got separated from it's stocks! Factory Nimschke engraved Ballard, with pistol grip forged frame, loop lever, and double set triggers. The 30" full octagon barrel is chambered in .38-55, and has a windage adjustable globe front sight, and midrange vernier tang sight. Scope blocks have been added to the barrel at some time, so I'll add an old target scope to it also.
    Need to build or locate proper schuetzen style buttstock, and forearm, which may be quite a task to find.

Boolit Buddy
    Try Treebone rifle stocks. He has the target patterns for Ballards and they require very little finish work to be fitted and shaped.

Boolit Master
    Marlinman, does CPA do Ballard stocks? I know they can supply stocks and hooked buttplates for a number of original single shots.

That is an excellent project. One day I'd like to own a nice Ballard.

Chris

Boolit Master

OH, that is going to make a really nice rifle.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Grand Master
    That rifle deserves some very fancy wood.

Robert

Boolit Master
    I went to 400% and shifted around for some time. Some if not most would not care or have a clue, I on the other hand finding it still difficult at this point to type. I am afraid that piece would make me spend stupid time/money to finish. PLEASE ENJOY and I think I remember reading in a section of the "LUCKY DOG" paperwork that states you must take a lot of pictures and share!

Boolit Master
    You will NEVER find a stock for it. And the 38-55 is a terrible cartridge. There is zero value in these Ballards.....You should simply sell it to me so I can dispose of it properly.........

I got one sitting on the bench with a brand new Green Mountain barrel sitting next to it. I just received my Manson 38-55 custom reamer. Just need the time to put it all together!

Your's is a real beauty! Good luck with it!
    Roy B
    Massachusetts

www.rvbprecision.com

Boolit Master
    Holy Smokes!!! What a find.

Boolit Master
    geeeez, your lucky!!!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Thank you all! Yes, CPA makes stocks, and also fits them for Ballards. I personally don't want to ship this anywhere to have stocks fitted, as the thought of one of the carriers damaging it, or stealing it, makes me nervous. I've had both happen over the years, so this one will either get done by me, or someone local.
    An engraved Ballard was on my bucket list, and something I feared would never happen, so when this one came along, and I could work a trade for it, I gladly let a couple other guns go to get it!
    I've checked with several sources for 90% inletted gun stocks for it. I've used Dave Crossno in Oklahoma a couple times, and may use him again. CPA and Treebone Carving also make stocks for it, but haven't checked prices for fancy walnut at all three places yet. I'm guessing the 90% inletted sets will run in the $300-$400 range, before I fit them, and then probably a couple hundred or more to checker them. Hate to spend this, but can't really cut corners on a fine old Ballard like this.

Boolit Buddy
    Perhaps you might inquire at Wyoming Armory. Several of their employees worked for Cody Ballard. They have parts inventory for Ballards.

Boolit Buddy

Vall CPA has the no 8 pattern that old rifle deserves. Treebone only carries the no 7 long range. I hope you enjoy that one. Sure broke my heart to send it down the road. Later, moodyholler
    WTB single shots.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    MM - That is one sweet rifle and a rarity to boot with the Nimschke engraving. Have Gail send you the finished butt & forearm. She has worked on enough Ballards to know there is no difference with the fit. And if you are skittish - match this rifle to one of your other Ballards and send CPA that one. How's the bore on the rifle?
    Congratulations!
    Regards
    John

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    I would make an appointment with Steve Garbe and co at Wyoming Armory and take the rifle to them, and then make the second trip over to pick it up when it's done. Might take some cash layout, but it'll be a rich investment for the future.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Mold
    Attachment 109780

Vall, That is an outstanding engraved Ballard and it certainly deserves the best wood. I attached a photo (if it works right) of my Ballard with a Stevens-Pope barrel and like yours I wanted some outstanding wood. It is a five hour drive for me to get to Dave Crossnos, but I always make the trip so I don't have to ship. He has some beautiful wood and as you know does great stock work. Driving from Oregon to Oklahoma is a bit to much! He has more Ballard patterns than I can sometimes select from and just narrowing it down to the one I want for a particular Ballard can be a chore. Also to top it off, I want a left-handed cheekpiece.
    Whatever you decide, that is a Ballard that should be brought back to its original glory.
    Richard

John Boy, the bore is excellent!
    I bid on the buttstock on Ebay yesterday, and went way higher than I thought the stock was worth, but got outbid. Dave Crossno has always done good work for me, and I wish he was closer so I could see all his patterns for the Ballard. I know Dave is a Ballard guy, so I feel even more comfortable getting stocks from Dave. I just can't decide if I want a factory look Union Hill, or a larger Schoyen, Zischang, etc. schuetzen pattern.
    Jumping in the car and making a road trip out of it isn't really an option I'm considering, but haven't ruled it out.
    Moodyholler, Thanks again for working with me, so I could own this "bucket list" Ballard!

Decided to go with the #8,9,10 pattern with small cheekpiece. The Union Hill style, or Schuetzen Junior. Dave is doing them on a nice piece of 4x Oklahoma walnut, and sounds like they may be done soon. Now I have to decide between the factory "Farrow" style buttplate, or the slightly larger #6 1/2 Schuetzen buttplate.

Boolit Master
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.Decisions,decisions.Sweet rifle.Yum.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

Boolit Grand Master
    I don't know enough about Ballards' to even begin to try to give you advice about the buttplate.

I will ask nicely, or even beg, to see pictures of the finished rifle.

Robert

Well the brand doesn't have a lot to do with the buttplate choice. It's more a question of the type of shooting I want to do with it. A larger hooked Swiss plate will make offhand shooting more comfortable, but for bench work it would get in the way. So I need to decide how much of each type shooting I'll do, and also decide what looks best. Once I have the stocks and can test fit them; I can then hold both plates up and see which looks best, and feels best.
    Last edited by marlinman93; 03-18-2015 at 09:10 PM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast