RepackboxLee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWideners
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: Scope mount options for remmy 81

Boolit Master

Scope mount options for remmy 81

I have a deep burning desire to take this pogo stick deer hunting and I must have glass to sight with. What are my options. It has 3 suspicious holes on left side of reciever and the one hole has a snapped fastener in it. I would prefer to go on barrel using existing holes for rear sight. If I would acraglass the scope mount with those 2 screws and then take the mount off, would any disfiquaration on the bluing remain from the acraglass? If you have facts on this I sure would appreciate the info! Thanks
    Look twice, shoot once.

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by nekshot View Post
    I have a deep burning desire to take this pogo stick deer hunting and I must have glass to sight with. What are my options. It has 3 suspicious holes on left side of reciever and the one hole has a snapped fastener in it. I would prefer to go on barrel using existing holes for rear sight. If I would acraglass the scope mount with those 2 screws and then take the mount off, would any disfiquaration on the bluing remain from the acraglass? If you have facts on this I sure would appreciate the info! Thanks
    The barrel option has been tried...... with less than optimal results. Goodsteel can make you a mount for the barrel option.

Boolit Master
    I ordered a weaver type mount with 1 inch radious and I am gonna try the barrel shroud. I never epoxied a mount with the intent to take it off sometime but this will be the first. I am gonna install a folding leaf rear sight in it also and who knows maybe it will never get taken off.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    Do you have a picture of the left side of the receiver? 3 holes could be something hard to match like an Echo mount, but if it is already drilled then you could just go with a Weaver and a new set of holes. Only one I know of that used the shroud is the front portion of the Stith mount. It mounted in the original rear sight holes. Are you planning on making it a scout mount by using the shroud with an LER scope? I don't think you can center mount a scope on these rifles without interfering with the ejection and reloading.

Boolit Master
    To bring closure to this thread here is the deal. I fastened the scope rail to barrel cover using existing holes from factory sight and accra glass. With scope attatched it was a sweet handling rig. On the second shot when sighting in the scope fell off. I never had a scope come off that was completely fastened as this one. The recoil on this gun is really nasty so to save what I had done to gun I made a nice peep sight with a 3/8th dove tail, made a slot in the scope rail and now this gun is slicker than with the scout set up. I know when I am beat and this gun has me beat for scope mounting. The good thing in it all it seems the same load I worked up for a 760 is a real good performer in this gun also. I am glad to move on to other stuff as this gun is developing a love hate feeling in my heart for it!
    Look twice, shoot once.

The 3 holes are probably for a peep sight:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/291190932866

Someone on here on Castboolits fabbed up a mount using a scope ring for a pistol scope. I saved the pic since I thought it was a clever approach.

Whenever I get around to it I'm going to cut on a weaver mount for mounting a Burris Fastfire reflex sight. I suck at iron sights and the accuracy isn't so hot that the 3MOA dot will be any worse than I can shoot my 35Rem.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by McFred View Post
    The 3 holes are probably for a peep sight:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/291190932866

Someone on here on Castboolits fabbed up a mount using a scope ring for a pistol scope. I saved the pic since I thought it was a clever approach.

Whenever I get around to it I'm going to cut on a weaver mount for mounting a Burris Fastfire reflex sight. I suck at iron sights and the accuracy isn't so hot that the 3MOA dot will be any worse than I can shoot my 35Rem.
    That scope mount set up should work fine but have a good scope because it takes a beating!
    Look twice, shoot once.

There's another m81 on gunbroker that's got another pistol scope mounted for reference.

I had an hour on the mill and fabbed this up for a Burris Fast Fire III. If it works well I might rework the mount for a lower profile.

Banned
    I recently picked up an 81 in 30 Remington Had been D&T twice, for a Weaver and a Williams side mount, both long obsolete, and almost impossible to find. Was looking in my parts box, and spotted an older stamped side mount for a Savage 340. Some quick investigation, and it appears it might fit and function. The radius appears to be correct, just not sure if there is enough clearance over the ejection port.

Boolit Master
    I always loved the 81, like the beauty of a Swiss watch.I found a nice one in 35 rem back in the 70's
    I have a Redfield peep sight that fits at the rear of the receiver,and a sourdough partridge front sight.
    Guess my eyes would benefit from a scope,but I am too old school.I love the lines of the rifle as is. Good luck with your scope mt project.
    I have taken my rifle completely apart and put it back together.It is an amazing piece of machinery.A work of art.
    Last edited by Clay M; 08-22-2014 at 06:13 PM.