MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading EverythingRepackbox
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad DataTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wanna know what bugs me most?

Boolit Master

My son and I don't watch, we do.

Boolit Master
    Heck my favorite show these days is swamp people on history channel. My only beef is the repeated use of stock footage (Yes history channel the fans can tell) But it's still a fun show to watch.

As for the camo comments. My great grandad wore a red plaid shirt and overalls hunting and took more deer than I ever will. I have never been able to get a deer wearing camo, almost all of them I took wearing plain t-shirts and blue jeans. Much like fishing gear it is designed to catch buyers, not game.

GoodOlBoy
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

Boolit Grand Master

I do not have cable nor satellite in my house for the last 8 years. If we really want to watch something, we go rent it, or use Netflix.
    I will not be desensitized by the #1 method of brainwashing our nation.
    I have a 5 year old girl in the house, and I try to keep an eye on what she watches. This new Disney movie came out called "Frozen"? I watched it through once, and determined it unfit for my household. (loved the music, hate the incessant innuendos and brainwashing). Angie agreed with me. However, do you know that of all the decisions I have made to do what's right for my family, that one caused me the most grief from people? It is absolutely taboo not to watch the latest greatest that Hollywood can come up with. People darn near wanted to get my daughter removed from the house because I wouldn't let her watch this show.
    This typifies Hollywood brainwashing on so many levels. Sheeople are crazy. They'll get all hot and bothered over the morality or lack thereof of a man who decides what and what not to watch on his own boob tube, with his own family, but when it comes to important issues (like the redefinition of marriage, pot, alcohol, the elections, local government, etc etc etc) they have no opinion.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Vendor Sponsor
    The outdoor shows are about all I watch anymore. That and Fox news. No advertising, no programming. Pretty simple. You go put a season of television shows on the air on your dime. Not likely. Who is going to pay for all of the outfitters for one thing. It does bother me that there is rarely an animal taken with grandpa's lever or even Dad's 06. All animals are shot with either a brand new rifle or more often than not way overpriced archery equipment.

But that being said, I do enjoy them and find them quite informative. I am never going to see wild musk ox forming up in a semicircle first hand or call in a moose with a canoe paddle and I don't think that I am the only one either. I have no complaints about the current outdoor programming. Hell for years there was none. Ease up, or maybe make your own show that we can all be dazzled at.

Banned

Many here could make good hunting videos, real hunts, not canned or given free from outfitters for an ad. The amount of free stuff the so called hunters get would amaze you. When they explain how good their bow is, they didn't pay for it.
    Goodolboy is right, don't need anything fancy or expensive. Companies have HUGE fishing hooks to snag you with.
    Deer lures and scents are big business, but the only one that worked is long gone. It was Deer Coy, made for the hand warmers but the hand warmer always went out if not in a pocket so I dripped it in trails to a scrape. I would not even be in my stand before a buck was following and licking it off the ground. Shot many deer with it. Wish I would have bought every bottle.
    Next is Neccina doe in heat urine. Real stuff that will pull in deer. Fox urine is good, seen deer lick it off a stump. Stay FAR away from skunk scent, deer HATE it.
    All the bottles of scents in Wall Mart are useless.
    If you watch scrapes, the best you can use is to just pee in the scrape. I pee and spit tobacco juice out of my tree stand all the time and deer walk right under me. One day I did not want to shoot one so I lowered my bow to watch. I had 17 under me eating paw paw fruit. They bumped my ladder and bow. I know I peed and spit on some of the fruit!
    I never had a deer smell where I walked but never put your pack or any clothing on the ground near your stand, a buck will pick it up and leave.
    Noise of the right kind will not scare deer off either. Break branches if you need to. Even a gunshot will not freak out deer. They walk past me when I am shooting on my range. Shot a large doe out of a herd once, she dropped and the rest of the herd laid down.
    Deer get so easy so don't believe the hokum on TV.
    I take my little dog out on a leash and there will be deer under my mulberry trees. The cat that thinks he is a dog will be with us too. Neither pay attention to the deer and the deer let us get close. Had them come within 10 feet of us. I quit hunting my woods. I need to go where they don't know me. Yes, always a white "T" shirt on too in the yard.
    I know the deer and also know where the larger bucks are but I don't want them. I know where deer come from and where they go. Where they bed. The cost of a deer is a 10 cent boolit, should say loaded round. Cost me 70 cents last season.
    Keep your wallet in your pocket or buy a bottle for after the hunt.

Boolit Master

44 man....I couldn't agree with you more. Asat. ...best camo going...if you feel you must wear camo...bud's deer lure...my absolute favorite..it works!
    Walk around...if you can...learn the woods....know the prey...
    in a sarcastic bent (since I'm posting from my phone and can't find purple)..You think to much!!! LOL
    old friend of mine, Italian heritage, .says...." how long do you cook the horns till their soft enough to eat..!!"
    Thanks for the sanity...

Boolit Master
    Watched a hunting show, they shot a buck on a road/trail from a tall blind,
    deer dropped like a sack o' taters. They took great pains NOT to show where
    the shot hit, that's what I wanted to know about.

Disney (or Hollywood) = mental poison.

I love TV, have an old movie running right now, no idea what it's about,
    not really watching it. Could save some money if I would just unsubscribe.

Riding a dirt bike you can just about run over a deer in the woods.

TV could be worse, in old USSR they had 2 channels.
    One was government programming,
    one had KGB guy who said "Switch back to other channel".

:>)

Banned

They clean up blood to not "offend" any liberals watching. Liberals think stores make meat. No animal was harmed for your burger! Grew in the meat case.

Boolit Master

Never shot a deer...never saw a dead deer or any other mammal. ....where the tongue didn't stick out...cept on the television....

Have shot many a deer after peeing from the tree stand and spitting a little beechnut (no a lot of beechnut) chew. Only scent I can remember that worked was Davey brackens I was about sixteen years old. Sitting on a big rock .Had about four or five does sniffing my boots ,where I had dripped the scent .Could have hit one in the head with my rifle If I wanted to .funny memories from fifty years ago

Boolit Master
    My great grandaddy (the one in the plaid and the overhauls) used to take a sack full of parched peanuts, a thermos of burnt black coffee, and a tin of prince Albert tobacco with him hunting. He never had issues getting a deer whatsoever (as I have said). I honestly think what disturbs deer more than anything is odors that just don't belong outdoors. How many deer have smelled camp coffee on the wind, tobacco on a row, or a peanut field after it was burned off in early spring? I am guessing alot! How man deer smell Polo toilet water, or whatever the heck that rank crud is some people wear these days, in the wild and ever thought it was normal? Heck I don't even think it's normal!

Flip side is we actually had a fatality due to doe urine a few years back. Some city photographer went out during the rut after hosing himself down with the stuff so he could get better pictures of big deer. What he got was multiple punctured lungs, stomped with sharp hooves, and pneumonia from falling in a creek trying to get away. He died in the hospital after a couple of weeks bought with the pneumonia and some kinda bacterial thing. You know how hard it is to look a person in the eye and not laugh hysterically when somebody they knew was effectively mauled to death by a buck deer during a rut after soaking themselves in doe urine?

GoodOlBoy
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    A Coleman lantern will show blood better then anything...

Yup.... proved that to myself some time ago! Works Great!

I did the trophy stuff for a short time until I found I could not eat the critters. I need to question why I killed them. Now I want doe or young ones. Best meat ever, no sense in wasted meat just for some horns....

No matter how long you boil 'em, those horns are still pretty tough!
    I have tried to eat a T-bone from a large bull moose and I think steel belted radials are more tender!
    I agree with hunting for meat.... a nice young doe, or a forkhorn! MMMM.....
    I am ONLY responsible for what I Say!
    I am NOT responsible for what You THINK I Said!
    ====
    If numbers killed I'd hunt with a Calculator!

Banned

I bought a pressure cooker for one buck, didn't work. i love the steel belted radial stuff. never used the pressure cooker again, still like new.
    i still shoot a lot of bucks but don't know because they have buttons and look like doe. Have to roll them over first.

Boolit Master

I watch Meateater because he goes from hunt to table, and he's not the usual fist pumping ******* when he kills something.

What really chaps my *** is using "harvest" instead of "kill" to make hunting seem more warm and fuzzy. Back on the farm we harvested wheat and slaughtered hogs. I kill game animals.
    Most people would sooner die than think, in fact, they do so. -B. Russell

We don't have any TV service here. I grew up without TV and I see no reason my children should not do the same. If we want movies we have Netflix and my wife and I preview anything prior to the kids watching it.
    Neither a borrower nor a lender be;
    For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
    And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.
    This above all: to thine ownself be true

Boolit Master
    Quite a few years back a good friend, relatively new to deer hunting, returned from a preseason visit to his tree-stand...and he was mad.
    On his scouting trip he had found a bar of Ivory soap tucked near a log on one of his main game trails. A careful search found several more bars, all placed stategically in the trails around his stand. Someone in his private club, one (or more) of his "friends" apparently dropped soap throughout his area... by accident, I'm sure.
    The soap bars had been weathered to different degrees, so it appeared to be an ongoing attempt at sabotage.
    When asked about the trail activty he said there appeared to be pretty good recent sign. I suggested that he quit spending money on all the various scent-blockers and deer-friendly shampoos...use Ivory, and shower when you want from now on.
    From that same stand he took the largest buck from that lease that season, along with some very fat meat does. He left that club shortly thereafter.
    He has sparing seeded his hunting areas with pieces of his favorite soap year-round since then.

Boolit Buddy
    I agree with meateater. I have tried new foods and tried new stuff in the kitchen thanks to Steven Rinella.
    Father, fool, friend.

Banned

I love the Ivory soap story.
    Only found two things to keep them out of the garden, electric fence or run at them waving your arms!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12