RepackboxLee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad Data
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Comments thread: July 2014 Photo contest

Moderator Emeritus

Comments thread: July 2014 Photo contest

Let the good times roll...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Moderator Emeritus

The rest of the story:
    20+ years ago, My Liberal Brother gave me this French Gras rifle. I was just starting to get 'seriously' into shooting (but it was still years before I started reloading), and he thought it'd be funny to give me a rifle (that he thought) I couldn't shoot due to no ammo available. It's another long story about how he traded a bottle of wine from his cellar for this rifle, so he had almost nothing money-wise into it, as compared to it's value...even in 1993.

After about a 6 month's search (As I said, I was new to the sport, so I didn't have the contacts and there was no public internet yet), I found a Gun shop owner (Janesville Gunshop) that would make me some ammo...then another few months wait and I had a box of expensive ammo, loaded with the Holy Black and some "roughly" cast boolits that measure quite out-of-round (.430 on one side of the large seam and .442 on the other side). I did shoot two rounds right after I got them...action shoots with a Polaroid, to include the smoke, specifically to send to my brother to prove He gave me a very shootable rifle and Ammo was to be had

I've been saving the rest of this ammo for use at special occasions...never had one til yesterday (on this holiday weekend). I've been reading and researching any hints tips and tricks to reloading for this for about a year now. I've slugged the barrel more than a couple times, as the results seemed way off at .454 ...It is supposed to be around .438 I should mention this rifle looks almost "unissued" and the rifling looks crisp, so it's not worn (it is a french military rifle after all ).

As you can expect, I am quite happy that this rifle has a oversized bore which happens to be a much easier size to deal with as a caster and reloader. I don't have the precise dies for this, my plan is to use a combination of 45 colt and 45-70 dies. I should only need to size the neck (with 45 colt sizer). I'm hoping that after seating with a 45-70 seater, I can get that die to remove the 'bell' in the mouth, if not I have the 45 colt Rifle style FCD and a gentle touch???

Then, I guess we'll see exactly what size boolit the chamber will accept??? As I haven't gotten that far yet. But I am one step closer, I now have 18 pieces of fire-formed brass to play with.

btw the way,the case mouth of a fired case measures .452 ...just more proof that my slugging results are correct, as you can tell by my constant double checking of things, in the back of my mind, I still can't believe this rifle's bore is so large.

Oh, as you would expect, I got massive lead fouling in the barrel. Luckily, it easily cleaned out. I did save one of the Janesville Gunshop Loads for reference.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

Great story Jon!
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Master
    Good story! Sounds like you have one converted from a Chassepot, judging by the bore size.

Moderator Emeritus

All the markings indicate it's a 1874 Gras Manufactured in 1875, with matching SN's. But that sure is an interesting theory.
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Boolit Master

davwingman, Swede 45, very good pics guys, I like both.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by RED333 View Post
    davwingman, Swede 45, very good pics guys, I like both.
    beat me to it! I was thinking the same thing.

Thanks!
    I like to take gun pictures..
    Just fun to play around..

Boolit Bub
    Thanks!

I take lots pictures of gun related stuff. Mostly write load data & other info on targets Then take the picture & save on my computer.

Makes it a lot easier for me than looking through a bunch of written notes!

I have to say, those boolits of yours Swede make cleaner holes then my Hole Punch! And a Hell of a lot more fun to use!
    GRANDPARENTS AGAINST RETINOBLASTOMA, BECAUSE NO CHILD SHOULD HAVE CANCER

They sure do!
    Special short fiber papertarget and wadcutters is a great combo for easy scoring!
    Makes nice pics too!

Not a paper target, but it was a life 100 yd plus target.
    My wife wanted to go hunting

Boolit Master

Well it is a target, nice.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Boolit Grand Master
    Hey Leadpot, where a bouts did you do that hunt? Sure looks like the Nebraska Sandhills from the terrain, vegetation, and sand.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Boolit Man
    Sure looks like Swede45 used a nice hole punch on his target hehe. Semi-wadcutters make nice clean holes.

Yup it was on the sand hills.

Boolit Master
    I was testing a brand new EWK arms 4 inch stainless barrel in my Dan Wesson Model 714 on 5/17/2014

Had a box of cheap Winchester white box 38 Specials to see how it worked using a known ammunition. Shot my best full group using the Winchester white box.
    (Wish it had been wad cutters, but oh well)

My first cold shot went right in the red paste on Bulls eye. The rest of my shots grouped nice and tightly, but were slightly higher. I usually keep on shooting different loads into the same target out of laziness, and they consequently end up looking like trash when I am finished shooting.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dan Wesson 714 Group.jpg 
Views:	3958 
Size:	68.8 KB 
ID:	111470

Because this target looked so good, I had to pull it down and hang onto it after only shooting 6 rounds. When I got home I took a picture of the target, and was happy to see that it was one of the old Gunloads.com printable targets, and not one of my generic Midway Pistol, or Targetz.com printable targets.

http://www.gunloads.com/

The Target is "Fading Center" under the Printable Targets / Rifle category

It seemed fitting to post it in the July target thread.

- Bullwolf
    Last edited by Bullwolf; 08-01-2014 at 11:57 PM.

Moderator Emeritus

Taylor, was that snake shot with a boolit?,or a bullet? or Shot ?
    I've dispatched a few small critters with 45acp Shot.
    Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Attachment 111465 Springfield 1911,one shot at 2yds.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comments thread: July 2014 Photo contest

[ATTACH]111727[/ATTACH
    ]One of my favorite rifles - Remington's 1903A3.

Shooting 159 grain flat nose cast bullets charged with 20.0 grains of SR4759.

Target is 12" square A500 3/8" plate that rings nicely when hit from 240 yards!

Annie is my spotter!

Elfego
    Last edited by ELFEGO BACA; 07-26-2014 at 01:16 AM. Reason: add script
    Can our government survive the next 4 years?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bullwolf View Post
    I was testing a brand new EWK arms 4 inch stainless barrel in my Dan Wesson Model 714 on 5/17/2014

Had a box of cheap Winchester white box 38 Specials to see how it worked using a known ammunition. Shot my best full group using the Winchester white box.
    (Wish it had been wad cutters, but oh well)

My first cold shot went right in the red paste on Bulls eye. The rest of my shots grouped nice and tightly, but were slightly higher. I usually keep on shooting different loads into the same target out of laziness, and they consequently end up looking like trash when I am finished shooting.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dan Wesson 714 Group.jpg 
Views:	3958 
Size:	68.8 KB 
ID:	111470

Attachment 111471

Because this target looked so good, I had to pull it down and hang onto it after only shooting 6 rounds. When I got home I took a picture of the target, and was happy to see that it was one of the old Gunloads.com printable targets, and not one of my generic Midway Pistol, or Targetz.com printable targets.

http://www.gunloads.com/

The Target is "Fading Center" under the Printable Targets / Rifle category

It seemed fitting to post it in the July target thread.

- Bullwolf
    Wish my Dan Wesson target was that good,so I take it you like that
    Ewk barrel?
    Last edited by SSGOldfart; 07-30-2014 at 09:01 PM. Reason: big fingers small keyboard
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast