Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best powder for 7mm Rem Mag.

Mine likes
    62.0 gr IMR4350 139grn Speer BT SP = 3207 fpa,
    IMR 4350 @ 57 gr w/ 160 sierra SP=2800 fps
    60gr IMR 4831 160 gr sierra SP = 2850 fps
    60.9 gr RL22 W/ 175 Speer Mag-tip = 2831 fps
    Tried some 62 gr Barnes 175 gr and had to hammer the bolt open and have the ejector pin replaced on my Savage twice before I realized it was the Barnes bullets. Same load with the sierra's was perfect. Those Barnes are going to need some special consideration before I use them again. They scare the poop out of me. I had someone tell me thy needed to be seated deeper due to their length but I'm not sure I want to take a chance.
    I shoot at 8200 feet so the velocities may be lower where you are.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Banned
    Minerat - Good info, thanks for your input.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop View Post
    4350 may be the better choice for the lighter weight bullets and 4831 for the heavier.
    With a bullet weight range from just over 100gn up to about 180gn a single burn rate can not be optimum for all.
    Barrel length will also be a determining factor.
    Also a good observation. It looks like IMR 4831 is a good choice for the heavier bullets. I don't know anything about 7828 but the guy recommending it has a lot of experience. We may be splitting hairs at this point. I don't know.

Boolit Master
    Because ours is exclusively a rifle for hunting, we have loaded Sierra 150 game kings with IMR4350 that pass through the chrony @3010 for the last 20 years. On the range it groups slightly under 1" from a rifle rest on the first 3 shots from a fowled bore. Any shots after that start to string in the Remington 700ADL. When the barrel returns to cold, will do the same thing again. Son took a nice 3 point last year in Idaho with it, 1 shot clean kill, 300+ yards. Don't think cast is ever going to be shot with this one, not a range gun and the 3010 fps gives it some legs out to 400 yards. Did several different powders during the work up 20 years ago or so, but 4350 ended up being the most consistent and repeatable loads. We usually keep IMR 4350 around for the 300mag loads and 30-06. Not having to stock something exclusive for 7 mag. helps. Could use different bullets, heavier, liter, sure it would change the results. But these 150gr. seamed to give a good result, wouldn't hesitate to use on elk. Recoil isn't to abusive either. Sierra #1913.
    Chris

Boolit Grand Master

I'm surprised no-one has tried 4320 or has not had any luck with it.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Banned
    cwheel - that was useful insight. I can make little tiny groups with a .308 WIN but I know next to nothing about the 7mm rem mag. It seems like a lot of powders will work but a few will work a lot better. That was exactly the type of info I was seeking.
    Thank you very much !

Boolit Master
    You are welcome. We ended up having a bigger problem with the stock on the Remington 7mag ADL throwing shots in a wider group in that workup 20 years ago. This rifle is one of the first they produced with a black SS barrel. Changed the trigger and stock at the same time. Once we realized we were getting a weather and humidity problem with the stock moving, we switched to a synthetic stock and the groups settled in quickly. After the change, we proceeded with the load workup. More of a stock problem than a powder and bullet problem. Aftermarket trigger made a big difference as well.
    Chris

Boolit Master
    Like a lot of others I use IMR 4831 in my 7 mag with excellent results. It is with a 140 grain bullet however. I have on a few occasion used the hunting or accuracy load listed in the sierra manuals and I must say they always gave me excellent results. I have not tried 4350 in the 7 mag but have in 30-06 and 243. In the current shortage I would probably be happy with either.

Banned
    So he ended up with a pound of H4350 and not IMR4350. I know they're similar and some folks even say they are the same. My question is how close are those two powders?

Boolit Master
    According to hodgdon about 3 to 4 grains different depending on starting to max loads. I understand this may not be what you are asking. I would suspect either will work well just slightly different charge.

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle

Banned
    thanks, that's a start.

Boolit Master
    I've used both 4831 and 7828 and had excellent results with each. My favorite load for deer with the 7 Mag. is the 139 gr. Hornady over a moderately compressed charge of 7828. It's probably a bit too slow for optimum velocity but I get very close to top speeds and the accuracy is simply outstanding. If I told you my group sizes you wouldn't believe me. Heck - I don't believe it myself.
    <
    Uncle R.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle R. View Post
    I've used both 4831 and 7828 and had excellent results with each. My favorite load for deer with the 7 Mag. is the 139 gr. Hornady over a moderately compressed charge of 7828. It's probably a bit too slow for optimum velocity but I get very close to top speeds and the accuracy is simply outstanding. If I told you my group sizes you wouldn't believe me. Heck - I don't believe it myself.
    <
    Uncle R.
    Might be a trend, my favorite load is R-22 under a Nosler Accubond 140 grain, compressed slightly, good velocity and accurate, in two different 7 mags, an A bolt and a Remington 700.

Banned
    If he would use a lighter bullet he would have more options but he's wedded t that 160gr for some reason. I think it's the bullet weight he was using with factory ammo and he's just comfortable with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    If he would use a lighter bullet he would have more options but he's wedded t that 160gr for some reason. I think it's the bullet weight he was using with factory ammo and he's just comfortable with it.
    Actually there is a lot of powders that have load data for @ 160gr bullets. 19 different powders in the Hornady manual alone. Unfortunate they list A4350 and IMR4350 only. While the Hodgdon site shows a lower start for H4350 they agree on the max at about 55gr. I look forward to your results with the H4350.

I also found that the 160gr group of bullets seemed to be recommended the most when talking to others and searching the Interwebs. He may have been influenced the same way. So far it is the most accurate for me.

Banned
    I'll keep you posted. He's still accumulating reloading equipment at this time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12