Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2
Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Just picked up a Savage model 99 in 30-30 made in 1903

Boolit Master
    It's actually a Model 1899. Model designation changed to "99" in 1920. Mind you, a stiff hunting load with slow burning powder will sound like a cannon out of that short barrel. 'Tis a shame someone cut the barrel so short. One of the beauties of the old 1899's was their sweet balance, which this one has now surrendered.

Another good reason to stay shy of heavy loads in a gun that early was pointed out above. The square sharp-cornered bolt mortise in the receiver was really prone to cracking. Savage changed the design just a few years after yours was made to alleviate that problem, and swapped out receivers and bolts whenever early rifles came back for repairs. Even though it's not cracked now, shooting heavy loads could very easily cause it to happen.

I would select a heavy (180-190 grain) .30 cast bullet flat point or hollow point, cast soft and sized to fit the throat, and load it to 1600-1800 fps. Any white tail at "normal" woods close range will succumb to that poison.

Any of the older Lyman or Marbles tang sights are A-OK. The new ones are flimsier- and that is widely held by current 1899/99 users who have tried both. Don't worry about not having windage adjustment in the tang sight. It appears you have a dovetailed front sight which will allow you to make windage corrections when sighting in.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    I would think that Lee bullet with 15-16 grains of 2400 would work well.
    BINGO> I have used 10-15grs of 2400 with 113FP and 170gr FP Lee molds. Also used 4-8gr of Red Dot for a squirrel and plinking load. There is a nice M99 at Cabelas in MN for $599 with a K3 mounted. If only I was a little richer.

Banned

I agree with Gary, the handling characteristics of the longer barrels is very nice. Even the EGs, which are the most common and kind of "entry level" '99 handle and point like they are a part of you, at least mine does.

I have a '99H in .303 with a short barrel and straight wrist and it is nice too, just doesn't seem to balance and point as naturally as that EG does.

It still balances perfectly even with the short barrel and it will make it easy to carry in tight quarters

Boolit Master
    All that matters is that it suits you!

Personally, I have always wondered about folks "needing" extremely short rifles and shotguns for hunting in the thick stuff. I regularly use 24-26" barreled rifles, 36" and longer barreled muzzleloaders, and 28-32" barreled doubles in kudzu and briar-infested "thick stuff", and mountain laurel and white pines so thick it's like the jungles on Guadalcanal- and never once felt handicapped by their lengths. But, that's just me.

Boolit Buddy
    I've always liked the longer barrel on my 303 but I think one this short would be interesting to try out. I have an old Redfield sight on mine, with this short barrel I think it would be fun to see how well it did. Too bad I won't cut mine to find out. Have to keep eyes open for another one.

Well I got this one for FREE!! All I had to do was put it back together!!

Boolit Master
    Free is good!

He took it apart to clean it and couldn't figure out how to put it back together so he gave it to me (it took all of 10 mins. To put it back together)

Boolit Master
    I still think a mannlicher fore end would look interesting on your rifle, sure would suit it if it was a pistol grip model! I would have alot of fun with that gun if mine. I do like my 99-303, sadly a straight grip model.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Unfortunately I cannot enjoy it quite yet since I'm visiting family in the communist state of Connecticut

Boolit Master
    16-1/4 is a marginal barreled rifle. I'd be careful when and where I would choose to use it. But that's just me and my way of thinking. Your the owner and of coarse do as you please. FYI I also have a Savage's 1899. T/D model in 30-30. Best litt'l light weight woodsy rifle ever made I believe. Accurate too for a 30-30. Shoot allot of cast out of mine at targets. Jacketed on those serious occasions when the need is >filling up the freezer or I'm to lazy or too tired to carry my 270 afield. Lyman's-311291 G/C is my preferred cast of choice for use in my Savage.

16" is the minimum barrel length so I have a 1/4" to spare

And as for where I shoot it it will be shot either on my 200 yard back yard range or on a friend's 1000 yard range

My 1899 is chambered in .303 Savage and was made in 1918. The 311041, when seated to the crimp groove, will not cycle, while the Ranch Dog 165 grain tumble lube bullet that was designed for the 30-30 works great. So, you might want to try a slightly shorter bullet or be prepared to seat heavier bullets a little deeper than you expect.

Boolit Master
    16" is the minimum barrel length so I have a 1/4" to spare
    Depends on who's doing the measuring Sir.

It is 16 1/4" from the muzzle crown to the breach face

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by too many things View Post
    the 16in was most likely a special order for some propose. maybe for a 4 wheeler
    Uh they did not have 4 wheelers then. Showing my age I am

Boolit Master
    Yep.That little sweety is pushing a 111 years old.hehehe.Unless,he was referring to a horse pulled buggy.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

Quote Originally Posted by OverMax View Post
    Depends on who's doing the measuring Sir.
    Actually NOT - the prescribed method is to take a 16" rod and drop down the barrel - if the rod protrudes it's a short barreled rifle.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast