Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWidenersInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "Odd" Things You Find On the Range

Boolit Buddy
    I found a laser boresighter (the kind you stick in the muzzle) about 30yds downrange. The back half was mangled. Surprisingly, the laser still worked.

That had to be an interesting sighting-in session.

I found an old Canadian classic- a fella left a single shot Cooey .22 that had not a bit of blueing and a fair bit of surface rust on the bench.Returned to local sports shop that handles range memberships.Found a brand new Redhead wooden boxed cleaning kit, left it on the bench where found.Someone had to want it back.Or someone else just scooped it...
    Member CSSA, NFA
    Who is John Galt?

Beginning of the last panic when .22 was impossible to find somebody dumped most of a box of .22 shorts and left them. Who knows why, maybe they wouldn't cycle a semi-auto?

I picked them all up, looked 'em over (clean), and put them in my Marlin M39. First time I ever put shorts in it and it worked great.

Boolit Master
    Found all sorts of stuff over the years; pistol mags, brass, M1 clips, ammo, metal target frames and of course brass. Found a Lohman Sight Vise and a spinner target for rimfire in the trash cans, a Swingline stapler and any number of broken 22 cal cleaning rods. The rods were nice as the handle section was fine and made good pistol rods, and since they all seemed to come from Walmart I have assembled several full rods from parts. On the other hand I leave stuff, twice left my spotting scope (guys there know me and I got it back), left a set of earmuffs (next week a youngster there with his dad was wearing them, he offered to return them but told him if he would wear them he could keep them). Just last week left my pipe, picked it up this week. Had a family drive off and leave another 22 spinner target, turned it over to the range guys but no one came back to claim it. One thing I noticed is how many targets in the trash have only one or two holes, and how many are the type with repair pasters in the corners. I paste the good ones and save the extra pasters for my targets.

Boolit Buddy

I had to pour the water out of the boxes to dry them out. Almost all fired.

Quote Originally Posted by destrux View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if those primers all worked. Did you try them?

I had a neighbor give me several boxes of primers that were soaked and falling apart, stored in a leaky horse barn for decades... and they all worked.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm a little odd, can be found at the range almost every weekend.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    A store-bought turkey carcass, only a little bit shot-up. Whatever the reason, they could have at least tossed it into the woods afterwards, instead of leaving it by the bench.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Grand Master

I've found scope lens caps, a few scope adjustment caps and a staple gun. Also a few odd magazines over the years.

I've also found 308 cases shot in '06 chambers, 300wm cases shot in 300 wby chambers, 223/5.56 cases mostly separated and bent in half, loaded 223/5.56 cases stuck in the top half of separated 223/5.56 cases, and the occasional too hot handloaded case with the prrimer and even part of the case head missing. And lots of 9mm cases split all the way from the rim to the case mouth after being fired in a loose smg chamber.

Also all kinds of trash that never should have be brought to the range, shot up and left. Some people are trashy.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Found a couple of diamond rings once, knew they belonged to a Probation Officer who had been practicing in that lane. Not wishing to get in trouble I had a meeting at our local indoor range and informed two other board members about the find who were police officers. One of them took care of returning them to the owner.

No idea what the actual value was tho.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

I found new girlfriends and future father in laws a couple times at the range.

Boolit Grand Master
    Well hell DuKe, if I knew you we re looking for Father in Laws at the range I would have left you one. He is an experienced caster and a member here.

If you are interested in another one, let me know. I'm sure we can negotiate a price.....
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    Well hell DuKe, if I knew you we re looking for Father in Laws at the range I would have left you one. He is an experienced caster and a member here.

If you are interested in another one, let me know. I'm sure we can negotiate a price.....
    I'll trade you a mother in-law for him straight across-ed. Pics of my mother in-law are here on the forum. I'll pay shipping as the she is very large.

Boolit Grand Master
    No deal.

I have an awesome mother in law and hate to say it I know it won't ever get better for me.

Have you considered listing her on Craigslist?
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    No deal.

I have an awesome mother in law and hate to say it I know it won't ever get better for me.

Have you considered listing her on Craigslist?
    Please! What if something happens? At least you'll have a spare. I'll throw in wheel weights. I also have a spare Dillon 650.

Boolit Grand Master
    Duke, your problem is that you are too eager.

When you offer items to sweeten the deal any married man knows the reason.

You need to take the opposite approach. Tell people you don't know if you can do without her. Make her sound better than she is, or even should be.

Does anyone list a used car and mention all the flaws? No, they only promote the high points.

Make sure the deal made on a strictly "as is" basis. No way do you want to be held liable for any flaws or defects.

You need to get some help from a bonafide used car salesman. You know you have the right one if he comes across as overly slick and sleazy.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123