Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2Load Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: Ruger Single-Six .32 H&R into .327mag??

Boolit Buddy

Ruger Single-Six .32 H&R into .327mag??

My friend and I were just talking about the new Ruger Single-Seven in .327mag Lipseys has on there website. This really interests us as we both have the single-six in 32h&r (fixed sight version), and love the them. He and I, always wanting something unique and different than the next guy, have discussed/wished Ruger had offered these in .327 along time ago. I decided I'd better ask those that would know. I guess my questions are,

1. can it be done easily, as in can it be done yourself, local gunsmith or machine shop
    2. If not by us or local shops who?
    3. Is it feasible, we never pushed our 32s super hard, so would the work/cost spent give us substantial, noticeable gains that can't be gotten with the 32h&r and different handloads??
    4. Are we crazy? Lol should we just leave well enough alone?

I've learned a tremendous amount from all the expertise here, I greatly appreciate it

Boolit Master

I have read that a lot are converted by hand, easily with a reamer. The cylinder is a bit short but it's possible. I actually just bought a used new-model .32 Mag with plans to ream to .327 to go with my GP100 and SP101 in .327 but I just can't bring myself to do it...yet.

I will probably not do it if Ruger does in fact put out a factory Single Six in .327.

Boolit Master
    Lipsey's is making the formal announcement today. They are going to offer the 327 in a Single-Six.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks,
    Bill
    Idaho

Boolit Master
    The standard single six has been converted but because of the length issue a new longer cylinder is needed. Because of the longer cylinder needed the barrel has to be altered. The barrel forcing cone is cut to be flush with the frame and not extend past it allowing the needed room for the longer cylinder.

Who?

Alan Harton- Single Action Service, he's also done 5shot bearcats in .327

It'll be a whole lot less expensive to buy a new single seven though.

Boolit Grand Master

"When talking to Ruger about options for the 327 in a gun more suited to woods use than defensive use, the Single Six was discussed, but due to cylnder length restrictions a simple rechamber wasn't possible. Fortunately, the fine engineers at Ruger tinkered with the design and chose to shorten the barrel shank that extends into the cylinder window which enabled them to lengthen the cylinder ever so much to make the 327 Federal fit. They also were able to make it a seven shot cylinder instead of a six. One advantage of odd number chambered cylinders is that the bolt notches are cut between the chambers and not directly over them."

Excellent discussion there as to why a 32 H&R shouldn't be rechambered; not enough cylinder length and the bolt slots are directly over the chambers. In the newer 7 shot the cylinder is longer and the bolt slots are between the chambers. I would not rechamber my own Ruger 32 H&R SS as it does everything I want it to. If I wanted a 357 Magnum wannabe I would carry the NM Vaquero and have a real 357 Magnum. Not a lot of difference between the 2.

I love the Ruger 32 H&R SS because it is a .32 and does not try to be a .357 Magnum. I'll bet most who get the 327 SS will be using 32 H&R loads in them just as they do now in the other 327s. However, if one feels the desire for the SS in 327 then the new 7 shot is the way to go.

Larry Gibson

Attachment 109449

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Great discussion, but I still see no real need for the .327, because the .32 H&R Magnum cartridge will do everything you want of a small game or varmint cartridge when handloaded for the Ruger anyway. The .327 just gives you the option of more power than the factory-loaded H&R Magnum in a factory load. Now that Starline is making .327 brass, the .327 chambering will survive. We can thank Starline for saving the H&R Magnum, as the quality of Federal brass, the only other game in town was poor.

Now Starline has performed an encore!

In the trim Single-Six revolver the .327 will be a better field gun than either the .32-20 or .30 carbine. Its ballistics will approach those of the .30 Carbine Blackhawk, but in a handy trail gun. Personally, I don't think the extra velocity is needed, except for larger varmints, as ihigh velocity, fragmenting JHPs cause too much meat damage in edible small game.

The H&R Magnum at about 1050 fps with a solid, flatnosed cast bullet similar to the Ideal #3118 is just about perfect in my judgement.

Oh my, now I've something else to obsess on until I can get one.

Boolit Buddy
    Ok, I appreciate the input. I'm thinking Ill just leave mine alone, and maybe look into the new 327. I still wish it was a 6 shot, odd numbers in a wheelgun (7,8,9,10,12) just bother me for some reason, even in a 22. I hope they'll come out with a fixed sight version, I'd be persuaded to get one to match my 32mag.

Boolit Buddy
    Went to my local gun store to get them to place an order for one of the new Rugers with a 4 5/8 barrel and the Lipsey's website said they were "allocated." The guy from the local gun store is going to call this afternoon and find out what that means and if they can order one for me.

Gus Youmans

If only they could figure out how to get a 32-20 to fit in a single six then i would be in!
    MPBARRY1

NRA Life Member

PASS IT ON! TAKE A KID SHOOTING!,

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mpbarry1 View Post
    If only they could figure out how to get a 32-20 to fit in a single six then i would be in!
    32/20 is not big enough. If they make it in 32/40 I would be happy.

I reserve the right to change my mind if the 32/40 is not enough cartridge. In that case I'll go with the 8mm J bore or 303 Britt, or 7.62x54 Russian or !!!

Boolit Master
    On second thought I am happy with just the 32 mag.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop View Post
    On second thought I am happy with just the 32 mag.

Yeah, a .32 H&R Magnum Ruger SS....what's not to be happy about

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master
    I have had an S&W J frame 4" barrel SS in 32 mag for nearly 20 years. I have never been able to get it to shoot good. Every couple years I try again but still not successful.
    About 5 or 6 years ago I decided I wanted a single six in 32 but couldn't afford to buy one out right so made one from an old model 22 I already had. This one shoots and shoots good! When I started shooting the 32 mag in an accurate revolver then I began to appreciate the cartridge. I shoot 32 short, long, mag and even acp in my Ruger.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelgun View Post
    My friend and I were just talking about the new Ruger Single-Seven in .327mag Lipseys has on there website. This really interests us as we both have the single-six in 32h&r (fixed sight version), and love the them. He and I, always wanting something unique and different than the next guy, have discussed/wished Ruger had offered these in .327 along time ago. I decided I'd better ask those that would know. I guess my questions are,

1. can it be done easily, as in can it be done yourself, local gunsmith or machine shop
    2. If not by us or local shops who?
    3. Is it feasible, we never pushed our 32s super hard, so would the work/cost spent give us substantial, noticeable gains that can't be gotten with the 32h&r and different handloads??
    4. Are we crazy? Lol should we just leave well enough alone?

I've learned a tremendous amount from all the expertise here, I greatly appreciate it
    It's only a difference of about an 1/8". You could easily do it yourself with a modified 32 mag reamer. My SSM cylinder will accept the 327 without an issue