Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackbox
Wideners Load Data

Thread: Guide gun question

Boolit Bub

Guide gun question

I have 2 marlin guide guns. I one of them has a ported barrel, and I was wondering if the ported gun will fire PP boolits?? I have a lyman 330 HP mold that fires well with paper patched from my non ported one after sizing down to .452.

What is the chambering of those guide guns for those of us who don't know what a Marlin guide gun is?
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Bub
    45-70

Take a shot or 2 and then have a look at the port and the target.

Boolit Man
    I'd look really carefully at the port for each shot, firing slowly! If some patching is hung up there, you might end up shooting off the end of your barrel, or even bursting a case at the breech.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I'm inclined to ask if the porting is angled or chamfered or just dead square inside the bbl . If they are chamfered or externally angled toward reciever I see no reason why it would be any different than a gas ported semi. An sks I loaded for has a gas port just over an 1/8'' (about .131) drilled 45+- degrees to the bore ....I guess that makes an oval slot about .131 x .17 . It is angled toward the muzzle inside and the bbl is .316 so any hard edge is long gone. Also as I type I'm thinking that the piston return may push some port sheared mat'l out of the port.

If your porting is drilled square or is cross slotted I would be more careful . I think your load choices will play a substaintial role also ,12-16kpsi matching Rem/Win factories will be very different from the 22-25 up into the 30kpsi intended for Mausers TCs and Rugers (undestanding that the GG is on the same action as the 450 and 444 I've been mistaken before ). The pressures will effect the impaction and impacts at the ports . If you have a means to capture your naked boolits,jacketed and PP'd port exhausts it will give you a pretty good idea of what is going out the ports comparitively.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Bub
    I believe it's the same action as the 450 and 444. I have a stainless one that isn't ported. I"ll have a look inside the bore and see what I can see... I've been wet wrapping the bullets with onionskin paper, using ginger ale as a wetting agent. I went shooting gophers with the stainless gun loaded with 55 gr imr 3031. Shot a few right through their mounds... The papers do not come off. They act like they're glued on. With that kind of umph behind them, I don't know if recovery is possible...

never heard of using pop as a wetting agent ... guess the suger is acting like a glue to the boolit. maybe your onto something if the paper adheres to the boolit all the way to the target. what does accuracy look like at 100 yds?

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by bigted View Post
    never heard of using pop as a wetting agent ... guess the suger is acting like a glue to the boolit. maybe your onto something if the paper adheres to the boolit all the way to the target. what does accuracy look like at 100 yds?
    Cant tell you accuracy. #1, I'm still getting used to the ghost ring sights, and #2, only shot at gophers with it so far. The pop doesn't allow the paper to stretch for some reason. The paper stays put on the bullet. It's like the paper is glued when you handle the bullets... Very hard...

Boolit Bub
    looks like it's drilled square...

be interesting to see what the solid papered boolits do on a target. if they do not come off the boolit ... then id say there would be no fouling to consider in the porting area.

Boolit Bub
    I think I"ll sell the ported gun. I have an opportunity to buy a JM stamped 1895 GSL with a scope for a good price. No need to risk destroying a gun and possibly have the bolt added in the face rearranging I could possibly get...

Sounds like a good option!
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''